Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: The Question Thread  (Read 432484 times)

Rillion

• View Profile
Re: The Question Thread
« Reply #645 on: January 13, 2010, 02:34:02 PM »

Errr.....excuse me?

Let's recap:

Ecolitan: [I think that Diogenes' IQ is] 132, slightly above average for the neighborhood.
Me: You consider 131 "slightly above average"?
blackie: Most libertarians are geniuses.
Me: HAHAhahahaha......good one.
Ecolitan: You're a 120.  It's probably served you much better than being 132 with a background of jewish extremism.
Me: Wow, that's a really asshole thing to say.
Ecolitan:  FUCK YOU BITCH.

See, the "genius" thing was a reference to blackie's statement.  And when you estimated my IQ and compared it to 132, I thought you were claiming that was your  IQ.  It's only slightly less of an assholish thing to say, however, if you really were referring to Diogenes' IQ.   Estimating someone's IQ unprovoked is generally not a nice thing to do, especially if you compare it negatively to someone else's. 

I didn't "attack" any statement of yours either, Mr. Anger Management Issues. 

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 13, 2010, 05:46:28 PM »

Did you even read the thread?  Diogenes asked how smart we thought he was.  I answered.  Now you're talking about things I said unsolicited.

Jesus fucking christ. You are a stupid cunt.  Go home.

It's true about me being angry on occassion.  I'm out of pot for 2 days now.  I smoke pot mostly every day. Out of a one hitter so a quarter/wk pretty much keeps me stoned morning to night.  I'm a pretty angry and anxious guy when I don't and, I don't like you.  You rarely have anything nice to say.  You never respond to me except to make some silly contradiction about a statement you probably misunderstood in the first place.  Like here when you didn't even know I was responding to the post above me.  Naturally, I have no patience for it.

as far as your reference to 'genius' being toward blackie... bullshit.  It directly follows a quote from my post.  

I decided long ago you don't hold truth and honesty in anywhere near the regard I do, makes me wonder why you want to hop in this thread after me and say obviously slanted things, like its not something I'm going to call you on.  Not believing you held yourself to a high standard of truth when you typed something comes very easy to me.

Of course it was an assholish thing to say, you jumped in the thread and insunuated I am a liar and an asshole when you didn't even understand the topic, you should thank me for making you at least half right.  You had a little asshole coming.  AND...  You're a 120, that's a fact, it is entirely relevant when responding to how smart you think people are since our perceptions of intelligence are greatly influenced by our own.  

I think it was very brave of Diogenes to ask what he did.  I'm interested in other responses.  I would never ask that question.  I don't want to know.

Are college students really higher than average?  I wouldn't think so.  If I were going to pick particularly smart people by education level I'd say PhDs and HS dropouts.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 06:13:45 PM by Ecolitan »

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 13, 2010, 06:15:17 PM »

Jesus fucking christ. You are a stupid cunt.  Go home.

It's true about me being angry on occassion.

Ya think?

as far as your reference to 'genius' being toward blackie... bullshit.  It directly follows a quote from my post.  Are you calling me stupid now?

No, dumbshit.  I was explaining that I had attributed blackie's statement (erroneously) to you, since it quoted and elaborated on what you'd said before. 

I decided long ago you don't hold truth and honesty in anywhere near the regard I do

And I decided about two hours ago that you're batshit crazy. 

Of course it was an assholish thing to say

Glad you acknowledge that.  It's always good to hear assholes cop to being assholes. 

you jumped in the thread and insunuated I am a liar and an asshole

Because I was incredulous about calling an IQ of 132 "slightly above average"?  I repeat: batshit. 

You're a 120, that's a fact

You are wrong; that's a fact. 

I think it was very brave of Diogenes to ask what he did.  I'm interested in other responses.  I would never ask that question.

Which should make you understand that somebody else might not want that opinion unsolicited, but apparently not.   

Are college students really higher than average?

I estimated that they are based on sheer literacy and test-taking ability.  You can't get into most colleges without those, and yet a good proportion of the country doesn't have them. 

If I were going to pick particularly smart people by education level I'd say PhDs and HS dropouts.

Guess who's got a PhD, motherfucker? 

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
  • [ insert awesomely insightful comment here ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 13, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »

Normally, my better sense would tell me to stay out of this and mind my own GD business based on where this conversation has been going, but I do want to comment one thing, Rillion:

I estimated that they are based on sheer literacy and test-taking ability.  You can't get into most colleges without those, and yet a good proportion of the country doesn't have them. 

I would have thought this too, until I actually went to college.  I was quite surprised to see what constituted 'literate' even in my final years of college by supposedly learned individuals.  I will freely admit however, that my sentiments fall dangerously close to the Fallacy of Personal Experience and readily concede this could be the exception rather than rule.

Good to read your stuff again, by the way.  :)

------
edit: Removed a prepositional phrase that causes a redundancy in my paragraph, thus weakening my own position of literacy as a point of comparison.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 06:43:13 PM by theCelestrian »
- Branden
[ insert amazingly cool liberty-oriented witticism of your choice here ]

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: January 13, 2010, 06:29:58 PM »

It took you til two hours ago... :/  That's not very impressive.  Just cuz you have a PhD doesn't mean you're not a 120.  I know a fucking idiot who is an MD.  I didn't really read the most of it.  I don't care what you have to say.

Why are you still on about calling 132 slightly above average?  That's been clarified.  wait....

you jumped in the thread and insunuated I am a liar and an asshole....

Because I was incredulous about calling an IQ of 132 "slightly above average"?  I repeat: batshit. 

NO IT WASN'T  you called me a liar and an asshole because you thought I was calling myself a 132, you said that yourself in a previous post and now you're changing your story and I have no idea why.  about calling 132 slightly above average "for the neighborhood" you just called me wrong.  You really DON'T give a damn about communicating accurately even when it's the topic of conversation.  I'm really done now.  You are the suckiest.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 06:37:05 PM by Ecolitan »

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #650 on: January 13, 2010, 06:38:56 PM »

Point well taken, Celestrian.  I have actually read and graded some appallingly illiterate college essays.  

Ecolitan, I don't especially care.  That post was fun to write, and I had no further reason to actually take you seriously, so I figured "What the hell?" It amused me whether you read it or not.   :)

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 13, 2010, 06:46:44 PM »

Really Celestrian.... why?  Maybe you haven't been paying attention.

Quote from: me
you jumped in the thread and insunuated I am a liar and an asshole

Quote from: dishonest bitch

Quote from: me
NO IT WASN'T  you called me a liar and an asshole because you thought I was calling myself a 132, you said that yourself in a previous post and now you're changing your story and I have no idea why.  about calling 132 slightly above average "for the neighborhood" you just called me wrong.  You really DON'T give a damn about communicating accurately even when it's the topic of conversation.

Quote from: dishonest bitch
Ecolitan, I don't especially care.  That post was fun to write

Why would anyone give a damn what she has to say when she herself doesn't care if it's truthful.  She gets a lot mileage 'round here for being female.  Is that what it is Celestrian?  Cuz she's not a particularly truthful person and that's OK with her, people who don't care that they say true things are not worth listening to.

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 13, 2010, 10:11:10 PM »

Really Celestrian.... why?  Maybe you haven't been paying attention.

Ecolitan. I understand that things are a bit heated at the moment, but I'll be more than happy to answer your question:

It's been about a year and since I was last on the BBS with any measure of consistency.  Rillion happens to be one of the few names that's still present and unchanged.  I have reason to believe Drifter is Brasky, but if that's mistaken - he's an individual I already miss hearing from.

My parting statement was not intended either as an endorsement or condemnation of either of your positions.

Why would anyone give a damn what she has to say when she herself doesn't care if it's truthful. 

My experiences with Rillion have in the past been to the contrary; generally in our exchanges she has been as far as I'm aware, honest and up-front.  In fact, she has made it clear to me in the past the at times my posts got on the far side of ridiculous to the point of requiring a level of focus to maintain reading.

She gets a lot mileage 'round here for being female.  Is that what it is Celestrian? 

<smiles> Insinuating that I'm not exercising the proper level of chastisement because she is in possession of a vagina?

If so: clever.  However, I will also chalk this up to me incorrectly interpreting your honest question for an implied insult, for reasons I will delineate further later.

As I mentioned before, it's been a while since I've posted on here with any regularity, so I understand why my motivations/reservations could potentially be suspect, and in regards to that I will endeavor to clarify:

• Not all experiences with an individual are the same - I can only form my judgments based upon my experience or the empirical facts as they are presented to me.  As I've mentioned before, my direct correspondence with Rillion in the past has not been consistent with what you allege.  It doesn't necessarily make me right and you wrong, or vice versa.  It just means that pending something more substantive, it's difficult to in good conscience make a summary judgment contrary to that evidence and experience.

• Misunderstandings, particularly on a BBS or IM, are commonplace:  Simple reason: most communication between human beings is non-verbal.  It's not just what is said - it's the body language, the tone of voice, that look she give you when she says, "everything's fine."  On a BBS or IM - gone.  All that nuance, that subtle information that gives you better clues as to whether or not the person posting simply misunderstands or is being genuinely pernicious is not present. My own experience has often taught me that when ever there is doubt - give the other person the benefit of yours. (Just ask Brasky - if he's still here)

In this case, I can understand how anyone could potentially mis-interpret "for the neighborhood." What neighborhood are you exactly referring to?  The BBS?  Libertarians? North Americans? The message is clear to you, but there is plenty of room for misinterpretation.

Similarly, I can also understand you could take the quotations to have been a implied slight - but again giving the person the benefit of the doubt on either side could very easily deferred the issue.

As a further illustration, I could very easily interpret your question, “Is that what it is, Celestrian,” as an implied insult, but because I have only the text - a very poor conveyance for all the things I mentioned above - it would be improper for me to do so, and begrudge you that without some further clarification.

• Who ran to my old friend, Ad Hominem first:  This is probably where I'm going to be entangled in this argument despite how much I wish to remain neutral.  I've re-read the entire string since Anarchir asked his first question, the very first clear-cut ad hominem was here:

My apologies if I over estimated you but since you decided to mock me while I'm having my coffee I'll tell you straight that while emotionally you seem healthier than some here so your brain functions relatively clearly I don't think it does so at great capacity

The only place I can even potentially see the slight you refer to here was Rillion's comment here:

:lol:

HAHAhahahaha......good one.

In response to blackie’s comment of “All Libertarians are geniuses.” The quote that you seem to be taking exception to is what Rillion said after (likely in response to the quote above):

I have found that, without exception, people who throw their IQ around tend to be assholes who are most likely liars as well. 

Interestingly enough, I don't think I read you ever mention your IQ, so when taken to the truest sense of the ad hominem, this statement would not apply to you since you did not fulfill the assumption:

• Ecolitan throws his IQ around

to support the conclusion that you inferred:

• Ecolitan is an asshole, and likely a liar as well

So regardless of whether or not Rillion thought that 132 you mentioned was your IQ or not, it would not apply.  Upon clarification, Rillion made the counter supposition that it would not fundamentally change the issue because of this statement:

You are a 120.

Which is very clearly a reinforcement of the first Ad Hominem that you laid out.  So, were we to get technical: Per Rillion’s statement, the respondent Ad Hominem changed to this:

I have found that, without exception, people who throw their other people’s IQ around tend to be slightly lesser assholes who are most likely liars as well. 

At this point, however, the issue is moot. You were the initiator of the Ad Hominems in this instance, regardless.   Now perhaps there some deeper history between the two of you floating out there in the BBS ether, but as of the moment of this reply, I am unaware of it - though regardless I would not use that as a pretext for the justification of insulting someone's intelligence unprovoked in a particular conversation.  Sure, one could also make the argument that both you and Rillion are equally guilty of using attacks to the man, but I would like to posit one more interesting observation:

The insult you levied was explicit and categorical.

Rillion’s insult was one of implication and couched in the qualifier of personal experience.

I would just encourage you to take a moment and think about that as it relates to your estimation of her intelligence quota.

• Since this *is* the a BBS, holding hard feelings only makes yourself feel bad at the end of the day:  Let's just say, for the sake of discussion - 100% of your accusations are completely, unequivocally true.  How much, outside of this BBS, does Rillion affect your life, or vice versa? My guess: infinitesimal at best.

Also, looking at it from a "debate club" kind of standpoint - getting upset, hurling good 'ol insults really only work to make yourself momentarily feel better and present your position, regardless of what it is, in a negative light.  Perhaps you don't care - and that's perfectly fine and understandable.  Just keep in mind that how one comports himself in certain situations tends to speak very loudly of his/her character, and how likely I would be willing to congress with that individual in matters intellectual, social or otherwise.

Cuz she's not a particularly truthful person and that's OK with her,

Again, I would need to see evidence where she was unilaterally caught in a lie beyond all shadow of a doubt/misinterpretation, for her to acknowledge that it was a deliberately false statement, and her actions or comments to show an indication of the indifference.

Should Rillion make the same accusation of you, I would also require the same of her.

people who don't care that they say true things are not worth listening to.

I am assuming you meant untrue things, and even then I'm reminded of the Axiom, Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.  While I understand that one must always wiegh a pathological liar's statements with a fair amount of skepticism and caution, simply and categorically disregarding everything one says as 'all lies' may sometimes prevent you from hearing that one bit of truth that could be very informative.

Again, I think given the circumstances, I understand that some things probably were misread all around.  It's just unfortunate that the tenor had to turn so sour.

oh. One last thing:  Calling anybody, but a woman in particular, a cunt:  never classy. :/

-----
edit: cleaned up some typos and grammar, but I'm sure there will be more as I re(re)read.
edit: yep, cleaned up a little more garbage. : /
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:46:34 PM by theCelestrian »
- Branden

gibson042

• Non-Aggression Principal since 2006
    • View Profile
    • gibson.mp
« Reply #653 on: January 13, 2010, 10:19:23 PM »

<well-reasoned peacekeeping effort>

This forum has been impoverished by your absence.
"WOOOOOP  WOOOOOP  WOOOOP EH EH EH EH HHHEEEOOOO HEEEOOOOO" —Rillion

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 13, 2010, 10:24:29 PM »

<well-reasoned peacekeeping effort>

This forum has been impoverished by your absence.

That's just what I was thinking.  Even if the Celestrian's well-crafted analysis had concluded that I was in fact an irredeemable villain in the exchange, it couldn't have been more fun to read.  

And yes, Celes, the Drifter is Brasky.  I don't know why he switched identities, but don't think it's any big secret that he did. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:26:58 PM by Rillion »

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 13, 2010, 10:35:50 PM »

I genuinely appreciate the sentiments - though I'm not sure if my "peace-keeping effort" really will be that or simply the opening salvo into a more protracted confrontation, despite my intentions  :?

...and thanks for the confirmation.  I'll have to PM him.
- Branden

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 14, 2010, 12:34:10 AM »

Wow that was a lot of words.  I'm glad to have you back even if I'm yet to read one of your posts since returning cuz they are all far too long for me.  

Peace keeping efforts... I appreciate it but I disliked her long before she claimed in one post that her remark was in response to Blackie and later confessed to having falsely attributed Blackie's comment to me when making that same remark and then pretended as if the words she says can be at all relied upon.  That's a great idea about making it protracted, maybe I'll stalk her posts for awhile and point out how she's full of shit.  She probably usually is, I don't much read them in general.  I'm awfully bored here these days and I do think she's a callous holier than thou cunt with far more moral flexibility than qualifies one as an honest person.  I'm pretty sure she already knew that.  To my knowledge she and I have never exchanged kind words except that one really wierd time she kinda half offered to drive some porn to OKC as if we had ever been anything but antagonistic toward each other in the past.  That was wierd.  Point being since she and I are never kind to each other she must have been looking for a fight or she wouldn't have jumped in a conversation w/ me.  I'm OK w/ that.  She can bring it anytime.  She's a stupid bitch.  I'm more than happy to be abusive to her.  If you're REALLY bored you can find every time over the years someone has suggested that I'm being deliberately untruthful and see that it pisses me off a LOT.  It's quite an explicit request to meet angry Royce.

She didn't know what I was talking about with the 132 in the first place as if I just up and said "132, average for the neighborhood" entirely in a vaccum then she responded to Blackies comment as if I had said it, then she said she was responding to Blackie and then later admitted she had thought the comment had come from me.  Clearly she made no effort at all to follow the conversation so I can only assume she was there to pick a fight w/ me.  She does that every 6 months or so.

here's your proof not that she deliberately lied but that she makes no sense and isn't worth listening to.

She went on too long about the genius thing so I called her deliberately deceitful.  She defended with.

See, the "genius" thing was a reference to blackie's statement.

feeling good about having won that part and it being over with she later forgot and said this:

No, dumbshit.  I was explaining that I had attributed blackie's statement (erroneously) to you, since it quoted and elaborated on what you'd said before.

Which is it?  Really..  you were explaining that?  When?  You claimed to refer to blackie's statement and you did... erroneously attributing it to me.  The next time you mention it you call me a dumbshit and tell me how your were explaining your error.  Oh yeah... where?  Fucking bitch.  If you don't care to accurately communicate I don't care to talk to you.

And no.  I meant true things.  Doesn't care if they say true things, Doesn't care if they say untrue things.  Means the same thing.  How about, doesn't care about the truth of what they say, the truth of what they say in unimportant to them etc.  I mean really, you needed to include that little nitpick.

And I didn't mean to insinuate anything about your level of chastisement.  I wasn't even really talking to you even though I used your handle.  
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 02:10:36 AM by Ecolitan »

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 14, 2010, 01:03:19 AM »

A lot of people are still here, a lot of people changed their names.  I'm Roycerson, I felt left out with all the name changing so I changed mine too.  I can't keep track.  I just realized today that Admiral Naismath might be Joelberg.  If so I'm probably the last to know.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 14, 2010, 10:02:15 AM »

How to Throw a Maximally Effective Hate Parade in 5 Easy Steps:

1. Make sure to not accidentally understand or identify with anything your opponent has said or done.  Empathy is the quickest way to kill a good rage-on.
2. Make things personal: everything your opponent has said or done that can be perceived negatively, he/she has done specifically to you  because he/she is evil and hates you.
3. Paint the situation in the strongest possible terms: there are no mitigating factors.  Your opponent's behavior is always deliberate, and it is always done to hurt, offend, or mock you. 
4. Use the most explicit words to condemn your opponent's words and actions-- we don't want any misunderstanding about who is to blame here.
5. Speak at length, don't leave out any detail, and feel free to repeat yourself for emphasis.  That's the best way to show you really mean business. 

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 14, 2010, 11:11:52 AM »

Was that an answer to this?

She didn't know what I was talking about with the 132 in the first place as if I just up and said "132, average for the neighborhood" entirely in a vaccum then she responded to Blackies comment as if I had said it, then she said she was responding to Blackie and then later admitted she had thought the comment had come from me.  Clearly she made no effort at all to follow the conversation so I can only assume she was there to pick a fight w/ me.  She does that every 6 months or so.

here's your proof not that she deliberately lied but that she makes no sense and isn't worth listening to.

She went on too long about the genius thing so I called her deliberately deceitful.  She defended with.

See, the "genius" thing was a reference to blackie's statement.

feeling good about having won that part and it being over with she later forgot and said this:

No, dumbshit.  I was explaining that I had attributed blackie's statement (erroneously) to you, since it quoted and elaborated on what you'd said before.

Which is it?  Really..  you were explaining that?  When?  You claimed to refer to blackie's statement and you did... erroneously attributing it to me.  The next time you mention it you call me a dumbshit and tell me how your were explaining your error.  Oh yeah... where?  Fucking bitch.  If you don't care to accurately communicate I don't care to talk to you.

Or just trying to get the last word while avoiding the fact that you jumped in the conversation with someone you know doesn't like you at all having no idea what it was about and then lied about what you said when it was discovered what you said was a lie and then changed your story back when you forgot how important the lie was to your position cuz you're a mean spirited fucking cunt who doesn't give a damn about truth?

Maybe a different question.  Why did you even get in this thread at all when you had no idea what I was talking about with the first 132 post?  I can't imagine a reason other than to pick a fight from someone you knew was willing to give it.  You didn't even know the fucking topic on the table.  Now you're whining cuz when you came looking for a fight you found one. boo fucking hoo
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 11:20:26 AM by Ecolitan »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 101   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 89 queries.