Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: The Question Thread  (Read 432514 times)

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
Re: The Question Thread
« Reply #525 on: November 16, 2009, 01:15:54 PM »

My city council member (that is, the city council member for my district) has resigned.  That's kind of unfortunate because she was probably the best member of the council....which, yes, is not saying much at all.  It basically means that she was the only one to respond to me when I contacted the entire council about an issue of concern, and then later wrote a blog post about it supposedly inviting discussion from the community. 

I'm thinking maybe I should run for her spot.  There's no way in hell I would win, of course, but it might be fun.  I'm thinking something like: 

"Hey everybody, I live in Place 3, and you should vote for me.  I'm 31, libertarian bordering on anarcho-capitalist, and have a PhD.  If elected, I hereby promise to vote for absolutely no tax increase that comes before me, ever.  When given the opportunity, I will vote in favor of any measure which reduces....any other measure.  You might ask why a person opposed to government would run for office, but I think Plato was onto something when he said that one of the penalties for not participating in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.  If that's not enough to convince you to elect me, then you don't deserve to have me elected."

What are you gonna do if you do win?   :lol:
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 16, 2009, 01:21:34 PM »

My city council member (that is, the city council member for my district) has resigned.  That's kind of unfortunate because she was probably the best member of the council....which, yes, is not saying much at all.  It basically means that she was the only one to respond to me when I contacted the entire council about an issue of concern, and then later wrote a blog post about it supposedly inviting discussion from the community. 

I'm thinking maybe I should run for her spot.  There's no way in hell I would win, of course, but it might be fun.  I'm thinking something like: 

"Hey everybody, I live in Place 3, and you should vote for me.  I'm 31, libertarian bordering on anarcho-capitalist, and have a PhD.  If elected, I hereby promise to vote for absolutely no tax increase that comes before me, ever.  When given the opportunity, I will vote in favor of any measure which reduces....any other measure.  You might ask why a person opposed to government would run for office, but I think Plato was onto something when he said that one of the penalties for not participating in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.  If that's not enough to convince you to elect me, then you don't deserve to have me elected."

I have no idea.  That's probably why I won't actually do it.   :)

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 16, 2009, 01:28:59 PM »

I have no idea.  That's probably why I won't actually do it.   :)

Darn.  I was kind of hoping you would do it and document it for us.  Kind of like Julia did when she ran for whatever in New Hampshire.  Oh Well.  If it helps any I'd vote for you if I lived there.   :P
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 16, 2009, 07:38:11 PM »

My city council member (that is, the city council member for my district) has resigned.  That's kind of unfortunate because she was probably the best member of the council....which, yes, is not saying much at all.  It basically means that she was the only one to respond to me when I contacted the entire council about an issue of concern, and then later wrote a blog post about it supposedly inviting discussion from the community.  

I'm thinking maybe I should run for her spot.  There's no way in hell I would win, of course, but it might be fun.  I'm thinking something like:  

"Hey everybody, I live in Place 3, and you should vote for me.  I'm 31, libertarian bordering on anarcho-capitalist, and have a PhD.  If elected, I hereby promise to vote for absolutely no tax increase that comes before me, ever.  When given the opportunity, I will vote in favor of any measure which reduces....any other measure.  You might ask why a person opposed to government would run for office, but I think Plato was onto something when he said that one of the penalties for not participating in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.  If that's not enough to convince you to elect me, then you don't deserve to have me elected."

Fight the good fight I say. The outcome is not as important as long as you tried to cross along the high road.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 16, 2009, 07:46:13 PM »

Today a guy approached me while in line to check out at the supermarket, axes me if I will be paying in cash. I say no. He pauses, then leans in really close and tells me that his car has run out of gas, that he needs some cash and would like to pay for my groceries with his food stamps card if I'll give him the cash. I repeat that I have none and wish him luck. He axes me again, more aggressively, so I say no again, more aggressively. He leaves, approaching none of the billions of others there doing their Thanksgiving shopping.

I did have cash, but I also had my daughter with me. With her there I didn't want to make any sort of deal that would probably lead us to meet the guy out in the parking lot where I hand him money.

Even though it's fraud I suppose, I wouldn't mind swapping cash for groceries- none of my business what the other person needed the cash for. Could be that the card was stolen and he wanted me to swipe it- dunno. I didn't make the deal because he was sketchy and pushy.

Would any of you made a deal like this?

Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 16, 2009, 08:09:11 PM »

Today a guy approached me while in line to check out at the supermarket, axes me if I will be paying in cash. I say no. He pauses, then leans in really close and tells me that his car has run out of gas, that he needs some cash and would like to pay for my groceries with his food stamps card if I'll give him the cash. I repeat that I have none and wish him luck. He axes me again, more aggressively, so I say no again, more aggressively. He leaves, approaching none of the billions of others there doing their Thanksgiving shopping.

I did have cash, but I also had my daughter with me. With her there I didn't want to make any sort of deal that would probably lead us to meet the guy out in the parking lot where I hand him money.

Even though it's fraud I suppose, I wouldn't mind swapping cash for groceries- none of my business what the other person needed the cash for. Could be that the card was stolen and he wanted me to swipe it- dunno. I didn't make the deal because he was sketchy and pushy.

Entrapment if he is a cop.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 16, 2009, 08:18:05 PM »

I don't trust people off the street like that, as a general rule. He is up to something sketchy to begin with and you are taking somewhat of a risk by being a part of it. With no real benefit to you, except a warm fuzzy feeling inside that you helped someone out. He could have been a good guy, but it is too bad for him that others have taken advantage of people's general kindheartedness.

It is too bad really. I hope I'm never in that situation.
Pocho

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 16, 2009, 08:18:19 PM »

That's probably not going to get people to vote for you, so why not? :P

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 16, 2009, 08:19:28 PM »

I don't trust people off the street like that, as a general rule. He is up to something sketchy to begin with and you are taking somewhat of a risk by being a part of it. With no real benefit to you, except a warm fuzzy feeling inside that you helped someone out. He could have been a good guy, but it is too bad for him that others have taken advantage of people's general kindheartedness.

It is too bad really. I hope I'm never in that situation.

I'm with you.  I would not do this.  You have no idea what their reasons are and it's best to just stay uninvolved.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #534 on: November 16, 2009, 08:47:22 PM »

Shoulda told him 4:1 for the deal.  A hundred on the card equals $25 in cash.  Most fraudsters are fine with 2:1 and 3:1 is not uncommon with drug dealers.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 16, 2009, 10:12:23 PM »

I bet he was either a cop looking for entrapment or a crackhead looking for his next fix.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bill Brasky

« Reply #536 on: November 16, 2009, 10:31:09 PM »

I bet he was either a cop looking for entrapment or a crackhead looking for his next fix.

I donno man, probly a scummer.  Welfare has their own cops, they're suit investigator guys.  They get sent on assignment to investigate people who are ratted out for fraud-type stuff, like having extra people living in the house which changes the income ratio in the household. 

Trolling for people to agree sounds very extreme, I've never heard of that.  Not saying it couldn't happen, though. 

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 17, 2009, 01:00:34 AM »

He didn't appear poor at all, the opposite actually- matching outfit, snazzy hat.. the whole get up. He didn't look like he was jonesin' either.. beats me.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 17, 2009, 01:03:30 AM »

Maybe he's buyin them from the Jonesin crowd at 3:1 and trying to sell them at 3:2 to make a profit. This could be a whole business for him.

Still, best not get involved. At the very least, you are assuming potential risk and helping along transactions in your stolen money.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 17, 2009, 01:13:07 AM »

Guns.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 101   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.