Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: The Question Thread  (Read 432480 times)

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Question Thread
« Reply #330 on: April 07, 2009, 02:44:08 PM »

My mother wants to get a tattoo in honor of her 65th birthday.  It will be her first, and probably only, tattoo.  I just got off the phone with the tattoo artist.  I want it to be great, and searched carefully for which artist to do it.  I just hope she's not shocked at the price or how long it will take to do it, because I think he can really do a work of art on her leg. 

Now I have to decide if I want the same thing.  It would be really cool to get one with her, but a) I don't have much money, and b) I don't know whether to try and get the same thing because it wouldn't be exactly  the same.  She wants one kind of flower-- her favorite.  Maybe I should get another kind. 

I think that's pretty cool, even if you're not ready for your own tattoo. Hang out and talk about the milestones in your lives, and what flower or other design you will get when you hit the birthday or event you wish to mark. Probably be a good way to keep her mind occupied during the time.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 07, 2009, 03:02:15 PM »

My mother wants to get a tattoo in honor of her 65th birthday.  It will be her first, and probably only, tattoo.  I just got off the phone with the tattoo artist.  I want it to be great, and searched carefully for which artist to do it.  I just hope she's not shocked at the price or how long it will take to do it, because I think he can really do a work of art on her leg. 

Now I have to decide if I want the same thing.  It would be really cool to get one with her, but a) I don't have much money, and b) I don't know whether to try and get the same thing because it wouldn't be exactly  the same.  She wants one kind of flower-- her favorite.  Maybe I should get another kind. 

I think that's pretty cool, even if you're not ready for your own tattoo. Hang out and talk about the milestones in your lives, and what flower or other design you will get when you hit the birthday or event you wish to mark. Probably be a good way to keep her mind occupied during the time.

To be clear, I already have three tattoos-- they're not a new thing for me.  And each has marked an important occasion in my life.  My mom turning 65 and deciding to mark the occasion with a tattoo is actually an important occasion for me as well, because it's something she wants to do with me and that means a lot.   

A tattoo done right, I think, is partially made up of two factors-- the "looks good" factor and the "meaningful" factor.    You don't want to exclude either one, or else you end up with an unwanted eyesore.    Maybe I'll go in with the full intention of getting something nice for my mom....and if I end up walking out of it with a daffodil on me somewhere, then so be it.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 07, 2009, 03:36:54 PM »

To be clear, I already have three tattoos-- they're not a new thing for me.  And each has marked an important occasion in my life.  My mom turning 65 and deciding to mark the occasion with a tattoo is actually an important occasion for me as well, because it's something she wants to do with me and that means a lot.   

A tattoo done right, I think, is partially made up of two factors-- the "looks good" factor and the "meaningful" factor.    You don't want to exclude either one, or else you end up with an unwanted eyesore.    Maybe I'll go in with the full intention of getting something nice for my mom....and if I end up walking out of it with a daffodil on me somewhere, then so be it.

Makes perfect sense.

A daffodil? Is your favorite flower, or is it one of the things symbolized by the daffodil from the history of sending messages with blooms?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 30, 2009, 09:49:45 PM »

[A daffodil? Is your favorite flower, or is it one of the things symbolized by the daffodil from the history of sending messages with blooms?

I don't know; I'm not much into flowers.  You know how relatives can care a lot about your favorite color, favorite animal, and so forth so they can just get you something in line with those and believe you'll like it?  My sister-in-law said that she likes cows once or twice, and she's been getting cow-themed presents for the past ten years or so.  That's why I don't express a preference for any particular animal.  I sometimes feel sorry for my father, who gets golf-themed anything because people don't know that he likes anything but golf.  That's mostly his fault, though. 

I like daffodils.  I also like orchids, irises, poppies, hibiscus, and sunflowers.  And dandelions.  My experience has mainly been with dandelions. 

My mom got her tulip tattoo last Tuesday the 21st....she took it like a champ, and it looks beautiful.  The artist, who has done a lot of flowers, said he'd never done a tulip.  He's normally done more exotic flowers, like lotuses and lately stargazer lilies.   I bet he's never done a daffodil either, just like a tattooist who has done loads of bald eagles and birds of paradise has probably never done a cardinal or a bluejay.  That's part of the appeal. 

Riddler

« Reply #334 on: April 30, 2009, 10:23:22 PM »

I just got these for my girls, and they love them.  The phone itself is about $119, and you get 50 back.  Verizon.  A single plan is $55/mo, you can include Boyfriend on Fam Plan for $79 (I think).  Unlimited text plan, 700 minutes per month, and Verizon callers call each other free, it doesn't deduct minutes if you're in-network with the other caller. 

The screen is touch/drag.  QWERTY, all sorts of slick features, the phones are very underpriced IMO.  It requires no 'data plan' which Blackberries do.  It includes a quality camera (quality for phones, anyway). 

They are approximately as long as a CD jewel case, which is roughly 4.5 inches, it remains flat when you use it as a phone.  They're very solid, not cheap or flimsy at all.  I like it a lot. 

i can't stand this 'blackberry' type shit.
it looks like you're talking into a fucking calculator
*back to the ''brick phone''*

blackie

« Reply #335 on: April 30, 2009, 10:36:23 PM »

Do you have a Jitterbug?

Even old people can use my cell phone.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 30, 2009, 10:41:58 PM »

I just got these for my girls, and they love them.  The phone itself is about $119, and you get 50 back.  Verizon.  A single plan is $55/mo, you can include Boyfriend on Fam Plan for $79 (I think).  Unlimited text plan, 700 minutes per month, and Verizon callers call each other free, it doesn't deduct minutes if you're in-network with the other caller. 

The screen is touch/drag.  QWERTY, all sorts of slick features, the phones are very underpriced IMO.  It requires no 'data plan' which Blackberries do.  It includes a quality camera (quality for phones, anyway). 

They are approximately as long as a CD jewel case, which is roughly 4.5 inches, it remains flat when you use it as a phone.  They're very solid, not cheap or flimsy at all.  I like it a lot. 

Jizz and I have Blackberries.  We look like bitches fucking typing in to our calculator looking phones, talking in to them, and taking pictures with them.   :P
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Bill Brasky

« Reply #337 on: May 01, 2009, 03:14:43 AM »

Actually, those phones slide closed.  So it looks like you're talking to a flat, oblong piece of black glass. 

I'm still pretty impressed with them. 

I actually prefer my phone, but I don't text. 

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 01, 2009, 08:15:26 AM »

Actually, those phones slide closed.  So it looks like you're talking to a flat, oblong piece of black glass. 

I think one of my employees at work has that one you bought for your girls.  I saw another one of them with one that opens two different ways.  It flips open like a regular flip phone and then flips open sideways with a whole keyboard and stuff. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Riddler

« Reply #339 on: May 01, 2009, 08:25:05 AM »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #340 on: May 01, 2009, 02:31:45 PM »

I think one of my employees at work has that one you bought for your girls.  I saw another one of them with one that opens two different ways.  It flips open like a regular flip phone and then flips open sideways with a whole keyboard and stuff. 

Yea, I donno who makes it, but theres one that looks very similar, and it opens sorta like a teeny laptop.  X has one, so it must be all the rage. 

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 07, 2009, 07:31:40 PM »

Is there any direct correlation between your singing ability and what kind of music you like to listen to? 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 07:47:56 PM by Rillion »

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 07, 2009, 09:23:09 PM »

Is there any direct correlation between your singing ability and what kind of music you like to listen to? 

I don't know about other people, but I prefer something I can sing along to.  I listen a lot less to the lyrics than I do the voice itself.  I doubt there's a correlation to genre beyond a preference for stuff that includes voice.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 10, 2009, 12:16:30 AM »

Boyfriend's computer is fucked up.....

First, his external hard drive took a dump last week.  Took it to the local data recovery place; they agreed to recover the data and transfer it to a new external hard drive which he supplied for them.

He's been transferring files to the new external hard drive all afternoon.  Says he finished a few hours ago, but the new hard drive was still hooked up the computer. 

Then he got the Blue Screen of Death.  So far as I know, he rebooted and things were working fine.

Then later I come downstairs, and he's very unhappy.   I ask what's wrong, and he says "Go start up my computer and see."  What happens is that the computer goes to the start-up menu, but it's all fragmented-- the words are chopped in half and repeated all over the screen.  If you tell the computer to go through its normal start-up process, what you see is the start-up loading screen splattered all over the place. 

I unplug the external hard drive from the computer, make sure nothing else is attached to it except the mouse and power cord, and restart it.  Same thing happens.  No "safe mode" is offered.  No error messages are given.  The end of my very limited trouble-shooting ability has been reached.

Any ideas? 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 12:33:15 AM by Rillion »

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 10, 2009, 12:31:35 AM »

The only time I've had messed up graphics like that was on a PC with a dying video card. Hopefully it's something simple like that rather than more corrupt data, etc.

I'm still doing the data recovery thing myself.. bleh.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 101   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 33 queries.