Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: The Question Thread  (Read 432642 times)

therealritasue

• Fnord is the color only blind people can see.
    • View Profile
    • My dA.
Re: The Question Thread
« Reply #255 on: March 06, 2009, 05:31:17 PM »

My Question: How can I get my girlfriend to stop being so religious?

You can't. If she's going to stop being so religious, it'll happen when she's ready.
If you want her to stay your girlfriend, the best you can do is to agree to stay away from religious issues.
You're not going to convert her, and she's not going to preach salvation.
Granted, if she's a zealot, she may dump you under the "be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers"

We figure on just not talking about it, her with the religiousness and apathetic towards political science, me the atheist anarchist...

This isn't really healthy, IMHO. It sounds like a big part of her life, and there shouldn't have to be big issues that you just have to skate around and pretend don't exist. A good relationship is where everyone is honest, communicative, and not afraid to talk to their partner if there's a problem that needs resolving.
Bubbe made a kishke, she made it big and fat, My Zaydeh took one look at it and said "I can't eat that!', Oh Bubbe, Bubbe, Bubbe, Oh Bubbe me oh myyyyyyyy..

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 06, 2009, 05:32:19 PM »

I dont have a "right" to change her. But I can present her with rational ideas and set a spark in her mind perhaps.
Like when she says a psychic can curse her family, I can say, "No, really I dont think it can."
Then offer ideas of why the bible is full of BS.

If that is your attitude, then you are just as much of a missionary as she and any of her family members, church friends, etc., who try to preach conversion to you. You'll just be quoting scientists and philosophers instead of scripture.

Maybe so, but a missionary devoted to critical thinking is just a tad better than a missionary for bullshit, wouldn't you say? 

Bill Brasky

« Reply #257 on: March 06, 2009, 06:44:18 PM »

My question is now how to avoid killing my boyfriend's brother.  He lives with us because he's 36 and completely lacking in any concept of responsibility. 

Poked his head in the room and said "Hey, you guys know how to lose weight?  Poverty.  I've lost like 20 pounds over the last six months or so." 

No, dumbshit, you did not lose 20 pounds due to "poverty."  You're broke, yes-- because you can't be bothered to get anything better than a part time job that pays $10 an hour, you've got debt all over the place, and you spend all of your earnings on pot.  But Boyfriend has been buying more than enough groceries for all of us (yes, I contribute).  That kitchen is always  full of food.  It's not that he's "poor," it's that nobody prepares his meals for him.

Broke?  Yes-- self-inflicted.  Poverty-stricken?  No, you fucking ungrateful dickhead. 

It's like living with a perpetual teenager.  I kind of wonder if he's retarded. 

He hasn't been run through the meat-grinder yet.  People are propping him up like the Weekend At Bernies guy.  As you're aware, this is 'enabling' in the parlance of the head-shrinky types.  Some people don't learn 'til they hit the jagged rock-bottom.  From what you've already mentioned, I can sympathize with a few months of being adrift on his part, lots of people take a temporary flake-out after their life fucks up.  But eventually, they're supposed to do the 'ol pick-yourself-up-by-the-bootstraps thing, wipe off the dust from the implosion, do a line off a hookers ass, realize thats destructive, balance their checkbook, buy some new underwear, stop sleeping past noon, pay their car insurance, get an apartment that isn't a piece of shit, date a chick that isn't an asshole, get dumped by her, say fuckit, and repeat the process until success isn't accidental. 

And he's not gonna because its too easy to shuffle around like a schmuck and make excuses. 

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 06, 2009, 08:26:52 PM »

I don't think there's much you can do about the religion thing.  It's not a logical or rational belief.  If someone is ok with that, then she is ok with that.  You probably aren't going to be able to change her mind because the only way to make someone give up that kind of irrational belief.  I wouldn't say you need to break up, though.  If you and she can deal with it and it's not a problem, then good for you.  Maybe she'll come around at some point, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it or actively work all that hard to bring about that change unless you want to introduce conflict into your relationship.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 06, 2009, 09:44:49 PM »

I would like to know why I got an e-mail from Capital One saying that my online statement is ready when I paid the card off, canceled the account, and shredded the card almost a month ago.  Do I need to be concerned? 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

JWI

« Reply #260 on: March 06, 2009, 09:48:41 PM »

I would like to know why I got an e-mail from Capital One saying that my online statement is ready when I paid the card off, canceled the account, and shredded the card almost a month ago.  Do I need to be concerned? 

It depends what the email says.  Does it have a link where you "log in" using your credit card number?

It's most likely automated so even if the balance were zero you'd still get an email.  I did for 2 or 3 months after closing the account.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #261 on: March 06, 2009, 09:58:14 PM »

My question is:  Why are people so stupid on "Deal Or No Deal"?

Riddler

« Reply #262 on: March 06, 2009, 10:23:21 PM »

rillion should just fuck the brother, let the boyfriend find out, problem solved......
unless he's crazy-jealous & might kill her...
never mind.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 06, 2009, 10:30:18 PM »

My question is:  Why are people so stupid on "Deal Or No Deal"?

My question is: why are you watching Deal or No Deal?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 06, 2009, 10:36:45 PM »

It depends what the email says.  Does it have a link where you "log in" using your credit card number?

It's most likely automated so even if the balance were zero you'd still get an email.  I did for 2 or 3 months after closing the account.

Well, it's a User ID and password, but they had the last four digits of the account number listed, and it's the only one I ever had with them.  I finally got through to the website (it said borked), and it says the balance is zero - which I knew - and that the account is restricted with a credit limit of zero.  I'm wondering if I need to call and scream at someone. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

JWI

« Reply #265 on: March 06, 2009, 10:38:53 PM »

Well, it's a User ID and password, but they had the last four digits of the account number listed, and it's the only one I ever had with them.  I finally got through to the website (it said borked), and it says the balance is zero - which I knew - and that the account is restricted with a credit limit of zero.  I'm wondering if I need to call and scream at someone. 

Probably not.  I'd think the regular login on their website would be enough to confirm that the account is closed.  They're a little slow to stop the emails though.

Have you gotten emails from them before?

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 06, 2009, 10:43:47 PM »

Probably not.  I'd think the regular login on their website would be enough to confirm that the account is closed.  They're a little slow to stop the emails though.

Have you gotten emails from them before?

Well, it said "restricted", not closed.  But I called on the phone and closed it.  I did normally get an e-mail informing me when my statement was ready, yes.  My mother's husband kept opening my mail "by accident", so I stopped any and all paper bills coming to the house since I wasn't too happy about my mail being opened by someone other than me. 
         -George W. Bush

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 06, 2009, 10:48:43 PM »

My Question: How can I get my girlfriend to stop being so religious?

As terrible a question this is I somehow didnt notice until last week that my GF falls into the crazy religious type category.
(I havent been dating her too long but really I've known her for years)

Problems:
She claims to believe everything in the bible.
She thinks that if you go to a "psychic", any professional one will do, and they "curse your family" bad things will happen to your family.
          example: her alcoholic drunk/drug user mom supposedly went to a psychic and the psychic told her her next born would die, and the kid died stillborn
She is horribly superstitious of the number 666 AND 999...
She says she is "christian." Just that, not a specific denomination.
She forcibly claims that Catholics are NOT Christian, and gets mad when I try to explain to her that yes, they are.
She says that the Catholic Church is the Anti-Christ 0_o

I'm just a raised Lutheran, Universal Life Church Minister, now an Atheist.
Whatcha think ya'all?

EJECT! EJECT!!! PULL THE FUCKING CORD! GET OUT, WHILE YOU STILL CAN! FUCKING AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 06, 2009, 10:55:55 PM »

rillion should just fuck the brother, let the boyfriend find out, problem solved......

I would rather stab my eyes out with a fork.

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 06, 2009, 11:01:53 PM »

I would rather stab my eyes out with a fork.

Then you could put a secret spy cam in there!
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 101   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.