Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: The Question Thread  (Read 432629 times)

Keels

• FTL Shriner
  • I like...
    • View Profile
Re: The Question Thread
« Reply #240 on: March 04, 2009, 08:21:52 AM »

I dig Nick Cave, but subjecting other people to the music you like, like some enforced show and tell, is kinda, you know, the tiniest bit TOTALLY LAME.

Agreed.

My old man was once on a "business trip" to get MANDATORY fingerprinting done with his boss.

He works part time at Ganmestop for the discount and so he can try before we buy deal, and they made him get fingerprinted because any store that accepts “trades” are considered pawn shops. Since we have fucked up gun laws and rules, he had to get fingerprinted to sell Nintendogs to 8 yr olds.

Anyhow, his boss was playing Slightly Stoopid they ENTIRE ride downtown. He thought he was going to puke… but then the old boss man pulled out a fat J, and lit it up. He said it made the tunes sound slightly better. He felt obligated, free weed and all, to say he really enjoyed the music his boss was pounding into his ears.

To this day his boss still buys him SS gear, cd’s, and has even offered him concert tix…It drives him crazy. I will sometimes queue it up on the old iTunes when I'm cleaning the house just to annoy him.

Might be a bit off topic, but still funny to me.
I'll take you out for a meal with Mr and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 04, 2009, 10:51:26 AM »

I dig Nick Cave, but subjecting other people to the music you like, like some enforced show and tell, is kinda, you know, the tiniest bit TOTALLY LAME.

Yeah....I don't think I've ever known somebody to develop an appreciation for a band by having it played loudly at them against their will.

Boyfriend and I were drunk off our ASSES last night.  That's the only time we are occasionally somewhat shitty to each other. 

The new house is about twice as big as this one, though, and I will have my own office!  That is 40,000 kinds of awesome.

In the meantime, hangover.   

Bill Brasky

« Reply #242 on: March 04, 2009, 11:34:33 PM »

Yeah....I don't think I've ever known somebody to develop an appreciation for a band by having it played loudly at them against their will.

Boyfriend and I were drunk off our ASSES last night.  That's the only time we are occasionally somewhat shitty to each other. 

The new house is about twice as big as this one, though, and I will have my own office!  That is 40,000 kinds of awesome.

In the meantime, hangover.   

Back in the winter of '01, things were going not-so-well with my soon-to-be ex-wife.  (hyphenate much?)  I had this great Onkyo stereo, and a killer set of Infinity's to go with it.  Loud, this thing was the stuff of legend.  This was Spinal Tap's "goes to eleven" in the flesh.  I've since then upgraded and downsized for more clarity, but nevermind that. 

My X got this bootleg disc from some asshole that I have a burning desire to harm, a very long disc of Reggae that was downloaded form Napster1, and fairly shitty quality.  Live Marley, Bunny, all sorts of shit.  I'm a music fan, and this was obscure shit, individual tracks that took him weeks to download to completion because everyone was on Dial-Up. 

She played this fucking disc one too many times.  Things were not good between us.  I told her to turn it off, it was loud and static-y and it was fuckin' Reggae, I had had enough.  She turned it down a hair, bopping around.  I ejected the disc, scratched a deep groove from hole to edge on the corner of my stereo tuner, and put it back in.  NOM NOM NOM NOM MON MON MON MON VARK VARK VARK VARK .   Oh, now you want to turn it down?  No, I think not.  We listened to that for a while, good stuff. 

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 06, 2009, 12:14:48 AM »

My question is now how to avoid killing my boyfriend's brother.  He lives with us because he's 36 and completely lacking in any concept of responsibility. 

Poked his head in the room and said "Hey, you guys know how to lose weight?  Poverty.  I've lost like 20 pounds over the last six months or so." 

No, dumbshit, you did not lose 20 pounds due to "poverty."  You're broke, yes-- because you can't be bothered to get anything better than a part time job that pays $10 an hour, you've got debt all over the place, and you spend all of your earnings on pot.  But Boyfriend has been buying more than enough groceries for all of us (yes, I contribute).  That kitchen is always  full of food.  It's not that he's "poor," it's that nobody prepares his meals for him.

Broke?  Yes-- self-inflicted.  Poverty-stricken?  No, you fucking ungrateful dickhead. 

It's like living with a perpetual teenager.  I kind of wonder if he's retarded. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 12:20:49 AM by Rillion »

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 06, 2009, 12:34:12 AM »

My question is now how to avoid killing my boyfriend's brother.  He lives with us because he's 36 and completely lacking in any concept of responsibility. 

Poked his head in the room and said "Hey, you guys know how to lose weight?  Poverty.  I've lost like 20 pounds over the last six months or so." 

No, dumbshit, you did not lose 20 pounds due to "poverty."  You're broke, yes-- because you can't be bothered to get anything better than a part time job that pays $10 an hour, you've got debt all over the place, and you spend all of your earnings on pot.  But Boyfriend has been buying more than enough groceries for all of us (yes, I contribute).  That kitchen is always  full of food.  It's not that he's "poor," it's that nobody prepares his meals for him.

Broke?  Yes-- self-inflicted.  Poverty-stricken?  No, you fucking ungrateful dickhead. 

Dealt with lots of family who have issues of self-reliance. There's no cure other than making them fend for themselves. There is no way to prepare them for self-reliance and there is not "simulator" for it. They must be cut off from help and allowed to fall before they learn anything from it.

I was pretty bad with money until age 25. I feel bad for my roommates up to that point who had to deal with my money issues (like rent day on Tuesday but I don't get paid until Friday). Finally, I got my own place (again, age 25) and learned within 30 days EXACTLY what I needed to accomplish and how to do it. Of course the key for me was that there was nobody to help me.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #245 on: March 06, 2009, 04:52:32 PM »

My Question: How can I get my girlfriend to stop being so religious?

As terrible a question this is I somehow didnt notice until last week that my GF falls into the crazy religious type category.
(I havent been dating her too long but really I've known her for years)

Problems:
She claims to believe everything in the bible.
She thinks that if you go to a "psychic", any professional one will do, and they "curse your family" bad things will happen to your family.
          example: her alcoholic drunk/drug user mom supposedly went to a psychic and the psychic told her her next born would die, and the kid died stillborn
She is horribly superstitious of the number 666 AND 999...
She says she is "christian." Just that, not a specific denomination.
She forcibly claims that Catholics are NOT Christian, and gets mad when I try to explain to her that yes, they are.
She says that the Catholic Church is the Anti-Christ 0_o

I'm just a raised Lutheran, Universal Life Church Minister, now an Atheist.
Whatcha think ya'all?
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 06, 2009, 04:58:21 PM »

This is my all-purpose relatInship advice: accept her completely as she is or walk away. There is no changing of people - and it would be disrespectful to try.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #247 on: March 06, 2009, 05:00:11 PM »

This is my all-purpose relatInship advice: accept her completely as she is or walk away. There is no changing of people - and it would be disrespectful to try.

Yes, and the internal debate is,
Can I handle such nonsense?
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 06, 2009, 05:01:26 PM »

You can't. If she's going to stop being so religious, it'll happen when she's ready.
If you want her to stay your girlfriend, the best you can do is to agree to stay away from religious issues.
You're not going to convert her, and she's not going to preach salvation.
Granted, if she's a zealot, she may dump you under the "be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers"
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #249 on: March 06, 2009, 05:06:37 PM »

You can't. If she's going to stop being so religious, it'll happen when she's ready.
If you want her to stay your girlfriend, the best you can do is to agree to stay away from religious issues.
You're not going to convert her, and she's not going to preach salvation.
Granted, if she's a zealot, she may dump you under the "be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers"

We figure on just not talking about it, her with the religiousness and apathetic towards political science, me the atheist anarchist...

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 06, 2009, 05:11:18 PM »

Does he have any incentive to change?
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 06, 2009, 05:18:22 PM »

As terrible a question this is I somehow didnt notice until last week that my GF falls into the crazy religious type category.

Problems:
She thinks that if you go to a "psychic", any professional one will do, and they "curse your family" bad things will happen to your family.
          example: her alcoholic drunk/drug user mom supposedly went to a psychic and the psychic told her her next born would die, and the kid died stillborn
She forcibly claims that Catholics are NOT Christian, and gets mad when I try to explain to her that yes, they are.

Whatcha think ya'all?

Why do you think you have a right to change her?
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #252 on: March 06, 2009, 05:21:44 PM »

Problems:

Whatcha think ya'all?

Why do you think you have a right to change her?

I dont have a "right" to change her. But I can present her with rational ideas and set a spark in her mind perhaps.
Like when she says a psychic can curse her family, I can say, "No, really I dont think it can."
Then offer ideas of why the bible is full of BS.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 06, 2009, 05:24:56 PM »

Does he have any incentive to change?

No, and there's nothing I can do about that. 

How the hell  did you not recognize that if you've known her for years?

Answer: You can't change her.  She is an idiot.  If you can't tolerate her idiocy, then break up with her. 

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 06, 2009, 05:26:15 PM »

I dont have a "right" to change her. But I can present her with rational ideas and set a spark in her mind perhaps.
Like when she says a psychic can curse her family, I can say, "No, really I dont think it can."
Then offer ideas of why the bible is full of BS.

If that is your attitude, then you are just as much of a missionary as she and any of her family members, church friends, etc., who try to preach conversion to you. You'll just be quoting scientists and philosophers instead of scripture.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 101   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.