Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: The Question Thread  (Read 432469 times)

wile-e-coyote

Re: The Question Thread
« Reply #195 on: February 21, 2009, 10:32:50 AM »

I really couldn't give a fuck. I know that i look to someone’s eyes and face to get an idea of what they are thinking. when what I expected to see is something else entirely, i now why i wince because i know that it's idiocy to think i can get an idea of what someone is thinking by looking at their face. Half of what a facial tattoo accomplishes, is to cause that wince in you. You who have been taught since infancy to unconsciously display your thoughts on your own faces while looking to each others faces for each other’s thoughts, still remain unconcious to this truth that i've found for myself.

But i do like authenticity, myself. Giving yourself a scare, across a cheek or over an eye, seems pretty foolish. Such things are best when achieved through survival. Tattoos can’t be achieved through survival.

Just because someone is from a peer pressure group that mandates facial tattoos ,or used to, gives no more legitimacy in my eye. In fact, mawy, mewi, missouri, or wtf ever facial culture tattoo, legitimate or otherwise, is dumber than the kid down the street who gets one because he wants one with no peer pressure involved. But just as a scar doesn't explain how it got there, tattoos don’t display the reasons why someone got them. So it’s just prejudice to hold someone with one in any regard at all for having just seen it.

In the same way I don’t support peer pressure to get one, I don’t support prejudice style peer pressure not to. But just like you, I think you’re a dumbfuck for thinking any different about it than I do. So I do not claim to be entirely without hypocrisy :)

I’ve got zero respect for jumping off bridges to be like everyone else but there's no reason why you shouldn't if you really want to :)

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #196 on: February 21, 2009, 11:41:49 AM »

That one with the tattoo on one side of his head, sure looked like a sharpie.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

wile-e-coyote

« Reply #197 on: February 21, 2009, 02:25:30 PM »

yeah, or maybe a glue on.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #198 on: February 21, 2009, 06:42:54 PM »

I really like doing the same thing, Brasky-- find a series that people say is awesome but finished, and then get the entire thing on DVD and watch it over the course of a weekend (or multiple weekends, depending on how long it is).  We did that with both Firefly and Deadwood.  Both are absolutely worth it.

Firefly takes place on a spaceship and involves all sorts of futuristic technologies, so technically it IS "sci-fi," but Star Trek it definitely ain't.  Don't let the space aspect put you off, as it's mainly just a setting for a story that could take place anywhere. 

The word I would use for Deadwood is "gripping."  There are places in it that are very fucked up, and one episode in particular that I just wish I hadn't watched, but every single character in it is priceless.  (Developing a minor crush on Doc Cochran didn't hurt)

Its funny you mention Firefly and Deadwood in the same comment.  I think those are my next tryst.  Normally I'd focus on one at a time, but the Firefly is western-themed and I can segue into deadwood from there.  Also, its only 11 episodes long so it'll be over in a few days of watching. 

I has a plan. 

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 21, 2009, 09:22:04 PM »

We've been dog-sitting this puppy for two weeks now, and sometimes she aggravates the hell out of me and sometimes I think it might actually be a good idea to keep her.  Her owner can't keep her, and is looking for someone to take her.

http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=25593.msg516704#msg516704

Problem:  I've never raised a dog, and neither has my boyfriend.  This dog is half husky, half wolf, so she's going to be big.  She's already big, as far as I'm concerned.  She knows what "sit" means, though she hasn't mastered "fetch" yet (doesn't want to return anything).  She can amuse herself by chasing things around on the floor, reminding me of a cat.  Boyfriend gave her a slice of carrot earlier, and she played hockey with it for about 20 minutes. 

I just really don't know whether it would make sense to keep or, or whether it would turn out to be a terrible decision. 

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 21, 2009, 09:27:03 PM »

No reason it can't be a good dog if it's still young.  Do the obedience training at Petsmart, it'll be good for both you and the dog. 

Never mention again that it's half wolf lest the goons take it away.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 21, 2009, 09:55:33 PM »

No reason it can't be a good dog if it's still young.  Do the obedience training at Petsmart, it'll be good for both you and the dog. 

Never mention again that it's half wolf lest the goons take it away.

Petsmart is good for basics, and is a great place to start. Some of the local boarding and doggie daycare businesses may have something along the lines of basic agility training, which gets the dog running obstacle courses. There's people who take it seriously, and those who do it just for the fun of it. The extra challenge might be great for channeling excess puppy energy. Didn't interest Peter T. Dog, who just loves to run really fast, taking the shortest route possible between two points, and leaping anything in the way.

And keeping the dog's breed "husky mix" is important. Even if there's no restrictions on specific breeds in your area, you never know if you'll be moving later to someplace where that "part wolf" on official paperwork becomes a liability.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 21, 2009, 10:23:17 PM »

I would stress that you make sure you can take care of a dog before you get one.  You don't want to be stuck a year or two or three down the road and realize that you really shouldn't have gotten the dog in the first place.  People tend to prefer puppies to adult dogs, so it will be harder to find it another place later.

I don't mean to be all negative.  I just don't like to see animals suffering because people don't think through decisions to take them in, etc. and end up essentially neglecting or abusing them.  If you're sure you'll be able to properly take care of the dog, then go for it.  It looks like a nice one :)

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 21, 2009, 10:40:50 PM »

I can certainly see that keeping her wolf heritage private would be a good thing, although luckily Texas law doesn't seem to have a problem with that.  But if anyone here happens to know about any problems that might present in terms of raising and training her, I'd really appreciate it. 

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 22, 2009, 12:38:34 AM »

I can certainly see that keeping her wolf heritage private would be a good thing, although luckily Texas law doesn't seem to have a problem with that.  But if anyone here happens to know about any problems that might present in terms of raising and training her, I'd really appreciate it. 

I had the same type of breed when I was young (husky and wolf). The dog was great with us, but was extremely territorial. She would jump the fence some nights and go out hunting, and bringing back chickens from I don't know where. Feathers would be all over the front and back yard, bloody carcase in her dog house. We would go outside in the morning and see them all over the front yard and quickly have to pick them up before the person whose chicken coop she got into came by to see it. Other times we would come home to find her sitting on the lawn in front of our house. I suppose she felt like she was protecting it. Despite being tied down and fenced in, she jumped into the neighbor's yard and killed their cat!  Another occasion she jumped into the neighbors yard and bit a woman who lived there. Not good. It was a fatal mistake on her part.  :(

We tried to do everything we could to keep her fulfilled by taking her for walks and playing fetch, but her will was too strong to be fully submissive to anyone in our family. We would tie her up in the back yard but she was too smart and would always find a way out.

But believe me she was never violent with any of us kids. She was the best dog I had ever had. Smart, loyal, and loving. But if my dad or another adult pushed her too hard to do something, she wouldn't take it.

After she bit the neighbor we had to put her down.  :( I was about 12 years old and I loved that dog. It was a extremely sad.

Unfortunately, I would advise to not keep this dog if it is the first one you have ever had. IMO this dog will have a strong will, be tough to keep in a confined area, and will fight you to lead the "pack". All of these traits are difficult things for any dog owner to have to deal with, let alone newbies. I wish you the best of luck. You could overcome all of these things but we were not able to.
Pocho

Bill Brasky

« Reply #205 on: February 22, 2009, 03:28:40 AM »

We've been dog-sitting this puppy for two weeks now, and sometimes she aggravates the hell out of me and sometimes I think it might actually be a good idea to keep her.  Her owner can't keep her, and is looking for someone to take her.

http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=25593.msg516704#msg516704

Problem:  I've never raised a dog, and neither has my boyfriend.  This dog is half husky, half wolf, so she's going to be big.  She's already big, as far as I'm concerned.  She knows what "sit" means, though she hasn't mastered "fetch" yet (doesn't want to return anything).  She can amuse herself by chasing things around on the floor, reminding me of a cat.  Boyfriend gave her a slice of carrot earlier, and she played hockey with it for about 20 minutes. 

I just really don't know whether it would make sense to keep or, or whether it would turn out to be a terrible decision. 

I would avoid the wolf moniker, even if you know.  People remember stuff like that, and if the dog ever bites someone (FSM forbid) you could be liable in ways you never dreamed of. 

Its best forgotten, anyway.  Dogs are dogs.  Little yappy things are like chaos that barely fit into the canis familiaris family.  Disregard those. 

What you have appears to have potential.  These animals think and comprehend.  Bloodline has a small piece of the pie chart, but not enough to invalidate the larger aspect of intelligent humans interacting with intelligent beast.  This dog can be trained, and you can train it.  I absolutely guarantee it. 

If you intend to keep this animal, I suggest you crate train it, and immediately identify yourself as the Alpha.  Since its a puppy (semi-grown) the past few weeks can be waived as a get-to-know-ya period. 

Dogs are den animals, and family pack-animals.  The crate provides the den, you feed the dog in the den.  Its his place.  Leave it open, he will go in and out because of the food. 

You need to establish the command "no" and live by it.  As the Alpha, when he acts improperly, you firmly command him with NO and physically put him down, with his head pinned to the floor.  Repeat the command NO.  Then stand and walk away. 

Repetition is the key, as he learns NO, he will eventually react to the command and not the action.  When he goes in and out of the crate, you periodically lock him in it.  When he barks, you say NO and walk away.  As time goes on in the house, he will associate NO with being commanded down, your Alpha, and the cage locked will become NO without even saying it.  He will simply lie down inside the cage.  If you command him NO, he will probably go to the cage and lie down inside it. 

People confuse dogs with too many words.  They have to be monosyllabic and very few to start, thats why I use NO exclusively and build from there.  Next comes CAGE, and he will go there as a command.  This will replace NO when NO is not actually appropriate, and you're just telling him to fuck off for a while, CAGE is the word. 

Outside, when the leash training begins, you add one word a week.  Sit, stay, heel, and come.  If you can train a dog with those six words properly, he will be better behaved than 95% of all dogs. 

Since you haven't begun yet, you could use the German words.  This freaks people out.  When people hear a dog being commanded in German they think he can do all sorts of shit, like he's been to attack training.  Its totally intimidating to onlookers.   But you have to stick to it.  (sit should remain in English, though, because children use it when meeting dogs). 

Thats a beautiful dog, Rillion.  You should consider keeping it if you and Boyfriend are gonna be a permanent thing.  Some dogs appear to have a little extra spark of something going on inside their head, he had that look in the photos.  That dog is a keeper, I'm telling ya. 

(also, I didn't note the gender when seeing the pix a few days ago, so I vacillated between he and it.  I seem to want to recall it being a female, though.  Whatever it is, have it neutered if you keep it.  It mellows 'em out and prolongs their life.  Thats one of the very few times I think its okay to fuck with nature.) 

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 23, 2009, 06:21:43 PM »

I had the same type of breed when I was young (husky and wolf). The dog was great with us, but was extremely territorial. She would jump the fence some nights and go out hunting, and bringing back chickens from I don't know where. Feathers would be all over the front and back yard, bloody carcase in her dog house. We would go outside in the morning and see them all over the front yard and quickly have to pick them up before the person whose chicken coop she got into came by to see it. Other times we would come home to find her sitting on the lawn in front of our house. I suppose she felt like she was protecting it. Despite being tied down and fenced in, she jumped into the neighbor's yard and killed their cat!  Another occasion she jumped into the neighbors yard and bit a woman who lived there. Not good. It was a fatal mistake on her part.  :(

We tried to do everything we could to keep her fulfilled by taking her for walks and playing fetch, but her will was too strong to be fully submissive to anyone in our family. We would tie her up in the back yard but she was too smart and would always find a way out.

But believe me she was never violent with any of us kids. She was the best dog I had ever had. Smart, loyal, and loving. But if my dad or another adult pushed her too hard to do something, she wouldn't take it.

After she bit the neighbor we had to put her down.  :( I was about 12 years old and I loved that dog. It was a extremely sad.

Unfortunately, I would advise to not keep this dog if it is the first one you have ever had. IMO this dog will have a strong will, be tough to keep in a confined area, and will fight you to lead the "pack". All of these traits are difficult things for any dog owner to have to deal with, let alone newbies. I wish you the best of luck. You could overcome all of these things but we were not able to.

Some more information from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf-dog_hybrid
Temperament and Behavior

Wolf-dog hybrids are a mixture of genetic traits, which results in less predictable behavior patterns compared to either the wolf or dog.[1] This is not to say that the behavior of any specific hybrid is erratic. It would, however, be unlikely that someone unfamiliar with an individual animal would be able to predict that animal's behavior with reasonable certainty. The adult behavior of hybrid pups also cannot be predicted with comparable certainty to dog pups, even in third-generation pups produced by wolfdog matings with dogs or from the behavior of the parent animals.[1] Thus, though the behavior of an individual wolf hybrid may be predictable, the behavior of the type as a whole is not.[1] The majority of high wolf-content hybrids are very curious and are generally more destructive than dogs.[26]
According to the CDC and the Humane Society of the United States, the wolfdog ranks sixth in the number of dog attack fatalities in the U.S.; with 14 hybrid-related fatalities between 1979 and 1998 in the United States.[27] [8] In 2000, DEFRA and the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals released a lengthy study that attributed much of the reported aggressiveness of wolfdogs to the characteristics of the breeds of dogs the wolves are bred with. With both wolves' and dog's social habits revolving around a pack structure, wolfdogs may not show the dog's natural acceptance of humans as the dominant pack members, possibly resulting in physical confrontations.[1] Some purport that attacks may not even be caused by typical behavior patterns of aggression and dominance present in either parent species, but instead may be related to predatory instincts, as the majority of attacks involve small children.[1] Between 1981 and 1999, there have been 38 severe attacks and 13 fatalities caused by wolf hybrids in North America, with all victims being children.[28]
The probability of aggressive behaviour from a hybrid peaks at the onset of sexual maturity, when the animal attempts to achieve dominance over other pack members. This aggression tends to peak during the winter months when hormones run high. Attacks may also be spurred by people becoming suddenly and conspicuously vulnerable due to either injury, disease or fear. Some half-hearted test attacks may be misinterpreted as play, and result in the owner failing to discourage such behaviour.[26] An officer in the South African Defence Force once commented that it was very difficult to dissuade wolf hybrids from pressing an assault once an attack was initiated.[6]
Most wolf and wolfdog rescue organizations maintain wolfdogs retain many of the traits and requirements of their wild relatives and therefore may be inappropriate as domestic pets.[29][30] The view that aggressive characteristics are inherently a part of wolfdog temperament has been contested in recent years by wolfdog breeders and other advocates of wolfdogs as pets.[31][32] Proponents of wolfdogs as pets say that the animals are naturally timid and fearful of humans, but that with proper training and responsible ownership wolfdogs can become good pets.[33] [32] Even in cases of wolfdogs displaying consistently dog-like behavior, they often retain the wolf's natural curiosity; driving them to dig ferociously, chew up household items such as furniture, and, to varying degrees, display considerable difficulty in housebreaking.[1] [34]

Pocho

Bill Brasky

« Reply #207 on: February 24, 2009, 01:04:56 AM »

I think you'd find theres a significant correlation between the number of dickheads who buy "tuff" dogs and the way they're treated and raised. 

wile-e-coyote

« Reply #208 on: February 24, 2009, 02:57:29 AM »

Is gun powder and hamburger what you feed yours brasskey?

bite them niggers faggots, good.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #209 on: February 24, 2009, 03:22:08 AM »

You dont live  near me do you? (you dont, thats not a serious question) Our neighbor used to have 2 wolf-husky hybrids that would get away and kill our chickens. I know I could have handled raising one but they sure couldnt.  They were unsteady when walking the pets and were not good at being the pack leader.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 101   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 32 queries.