Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: The Question Thread  (Read 432688 times)

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
Re: The Question Thread
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2009, 10:48:30 PM »

Speaking of wine...

What's everybody's favorite champagne? 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Russell Griswold

« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2009, 11:07:12 PM »

Martini & Rossi. It's like 7-UP.  :lol:

atomiccat

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Anarchy will Reign when pigs fly... Look a pig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2009, 11:07:38 PM »

Are you gonna party like its 1234567890?

http://www.1234567890day.com/

davann

« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2009, 12:17:04 AM »

Davann - Why do the Amish have a much lower statistical amount of autism?

Dylboz - Why do you confuse correlation with causation?

Why do you think that by asking a valid question I do not understand the difference between correlation and causation? Why are you attempting to redirect from the question?

anarchir - Well that could be from any of the differences between their society and ours (assuming you're not Amish). Also assuming it is such a simple reason why they have less.

I can go with that answer.

Why does that community of 40,000+ (their name is escaping me) in Illinois that live a modern life just like everyone else but choose not to vaccinate have a much lower statistical rate of autism?

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2009, 06:59:56 AM »

I don't know what community you're talking about or the autism rate there.  Since the rate of autism according to Wikipedia is about 0.1-0.2%, in a population of 40k random people you'd expect, on average, to find 40-80 autistic people.  Of course, not every group is random and you will definitely see variations (which are especially noticeable at the extreme ends such as a disease that affects a tenth of a percent of the population).  Autism appears likely to be linked to genetics, especially since 4.3 males have it for every female.  Given that males are much more likely to have genetic issues because they lack two X chromosomes, that explanation would make sense.  I don't see 4.3 males getting vaccinated for every female getting vaccinated.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 07:04:20 AM by freeAgent »

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2009, 08:18:12 AM »

I think that things like women being older when they get pregnant can cause autism as well.  I'm not sure though.  Thought I read it in one of those women's magazines though. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2009, 08:21:58 AM »

I think that things like women being older when they get pregnant can cause autism as well.  I'm not sure though.  Thought I read it in one of those women's magazines though. 

Wired Magazine printed an article about the rise in Autism & Asperger's, which places some of the blame on the rise in the number of nerds, and their increased chances of spawning children. Kids have so much going on in their heads that they have difficulties processing outside stimuli in the "normal" ways.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Keels

• FTL Shriner
  • I like...
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2009, 08:25:27 AM »

Wired Magazine printed an article about the rise in Autism & Asperger's, which places some of the blame on the rise in the number of nerds, and their increased chances of spawning children. Kids have so much going on in their heads that they have difficulties processing outside stimuli in the "normal" ways.

I guess I'm not really concerned that she will develop Autism, I just don't like people telling me what to do with my own child or calling me a freak/crazy/a threat to the community if I decide I don't want to vaccinate her. It's set up now that you must have a religious belief not to do so, and I think that is bullshit. People are forced to lie about it, its craziness.
I'll take you out for a meal with Mr and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2009, 09:04:33 AM »

See...I thought of it because a friend of mine's mom has a 13 year old son and he has Asperger's.  She was 38 when he was born.  Also, their father is a nerd.  Hmmm.   :shock:

-George W. Bush

davann

« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2009, 04:56:06 PM »

I don't know what community you're talking about or the autism rate there.  Since the rate of autism according to Wikipedia is about 0.1-0.2%, in a population of 40k random people you'd expect, on average, to find 40-80 autistic people.  Of course, not every group is random and you will definitely see variations (which are especially noticeable at the extreme ends such as a disease that affects a tenth of a percent of the population).  Autism appears likely to be linked to genetics, especially since 4.3 males have it for every female.  Given that males are much more likely to have genetic issues because they lack two X chromosomes, that explanation would make sense.  I don't see 4.3 males getting vaccinated for every female getting vaccinated.

I will try and find the name of the community. I believe I may read about them on Lew Rockwell.

Is there a close enough (+/- .5 of 4.3) rate of male to female rate with other genetic defects? If not the rates between the two sexes are negliable would it be scientifically acceptable to rule out the lacking X chromosomes as a cause?

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2009, 07:36:34 PM »

I will try and find the name of the community. I believe I may read about them on Lew Rockwell.

Is there a close enough (+/- .5 of 4.3) rate of male to female rate with other genetic defects? If not the rates between the two sexes are negliable would it be scientifically acceptable to rule out the lacking X chromosomes as a cause?

I'm not sure what the prevalence of other genetic disorders among males and females is, only that there are definitely more genetic disorders among males than females.

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2009, 07:49:38 PM »

Does anyone have a simple bean soup recipe?
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2009, 07:52:02 PM »

Beans + water + celery + bouillon + carrots + noodles.

Boil it. (Serious) Maybe add some tomatoes or tomato soup mix.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Bill Brasky

« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2009, 07:57:25 PM »

Beans + water + celery + bouillon + carrots + noodles.

Boil it. (Serious) Maybe add some tomatoes or tomato soup mix.
+ ham

davann

« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2009, 10:30:43 PM »

Package of 3 beans

A ham bone from a butcher or from left overs

salt + pepper to taste

ham cut into cubes smaller then a thumbnail

water

mix together in a crock pot, on high for one hour, on low over night (at least 12 hours on low)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 101   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.