Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: The Question Thread  (Read 432483 times)

davann

Re: The Question Thread
« Reply #135 on: February 12, 2009, 12:00:56 AM »

This video fucking pissed me off...

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=11992076&ch=4226723&src=news

So called "free thinkers" ...as if it is a bad thing. WTF!

How many of you immunize/d your kids?

My little one was immunized at the hospital, without my consent and then her pediatrician told me that I was risking her life if I did not get her the recommended shots at the recommended ages.

I feel like a shithead for not researching it more... just curious if any of you haven't, and if so why?

My personal opinion is that the vaccine-autism link is bullshit.  That seems to be supported by most science.  The guy who supposedly showed a link has also been discredited: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article5683671.ece

I also just don't see the evidence in my everyday life.  There are tons of people who are vaccinated against all sorts of diseases and those vaccinations work.  We have seen growing numbers of children with autism, but we're also better at diagnosing it and there's a lower infant mortality rate than there used to be.  So, IMO, vaccination-autism fears belong somewhere very close to homeopathy, which I believe is complete bullshit.

Why do the Amish have a much lower statistical amount of autism?

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2009, 01:13:00 AM »

Why do you confuse correlation with causation?
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #137 on: February 12, 2009, 01:16:27 AM »

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=11992076&ch=4226723&src=news

My little one was immunized at the hospital, without my consent and then her pediatrician told me that I was risking her life if I did not get her the recommended shots at the recommended ages.

I feel like a shithead for not researching it more... just curious if any of you haven't, and if so why?

My personal opinion is that the vaccine-autism link is bullshit.  That seems to be supported by most science.  The guy who supposedly showed a link has also been discredited: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article5683671.ece

I also just don't see the evidence in my everyday life.  There are tons of people who are vaccinated against all sorts of diseases and those vaccinations work.  We have seen growing numbers of children with autism, but we're also better at diagnosing it and there's a lower infant mortality rate than there used to be.  So, IMO, vaccination-autism fears belong somewhere very close to homeopathy, which I believe is complete bullshit.

Well that could be from any of the differences between their society and ours (assuming you're not Amish). Also assuming it is such a simple reason why they have less.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #138 on: February 12, 2009, 01:30:52 AM »

Here's my statement (names have been changed in order to protect those involved of course).
Background: Supposedly Female 1 was fondled up whilst passed out by Male 1 at a party I was at. Both people are friends of mine but now Female 1 is filing rape charges apparently. The party was at Male1's apartment he shares with a bunch of people. Also, we are all underage at the time of this incident so I cant mention us drinking alcohol (it is assumed we are of course), if we were.
The statement :

First I have some questions I need to ask you before I can give my statement:
1.  My friend Male 2 got subpoenaed as a witness, does he have to go to court, if so why?
2. How did you get this number? Could you please never contact me without me having contacted you first ever again.
FYI this call is being recorded for my records.
I'm Joe Schmo and this is my statement as to what happened the night in question. I was at that house for a significant amount of time that night. It was longer than I expected because I didnt know that someone was going to be bringing Mario Party and that game changes everything. I dont know what time I left, I know it was dark when I got there and dark when I departed. I believe it was cloudy too. Also, outside their house was a girl who I didnt know who had a broken cell phone. It was missing aproximately the entire top half of the phone.  I didnt arrive with Male1 or Female1 nor did I leave with them. I dont know when either of them left or if they did leave where they went or if they returned. I dont know how much, if anything at all they had to drink in the way of alcohol that night. You would have to be an idiot if you thought that anyone other than them knew that.  I do remember that Male1 was playing some tunes on his laptop. It was some sort of hip-hop new crap that I dont enjoy listening to.  Also, Female1 seemed to enjoy sitting on his couch, I dont think she was bothered by the music nearly as much as me but she really didnt seem interested in the fact that a really cool Rob and Big re-run was on t.v.. In the back I'm pretty sure was a crazy cool parrot that could say several phrases in spanish. Also the more sluttier girls, I have no idea who they were, briefly played a rather erotic game of spin the bottle with each other. Once I left I do not know what happened in that house. Anything I think may have happened there beyond that time was told to me through Female1. I never have had an opportunity to talk about the night with Male1.
That is all I have time to say because now I have to go to work: most citizens have to provide a valuable service to put bread on the table and do not have the luxury of demanding our pay with a gun! [hang up]
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2009, 03:36:00 AM »

Now a question for Rillion..

Why have you decided to come back to the US? (maybe it's been covered in another thread somewhere, I dunno..)

Because I finished my PhD-- the defense was on Jan. 29th.  We applied for a post-doc grant, but it didn't go through so I need to look for work in the states. 

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 12, 2009, 07:56:15 AM »

The Amish also have much, much higher rates of genetic disorders than the rest of the US population.  Maybe that's because they don't get vaccinated!  http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/06/08/60II/main700519.shtml

Riddler

« Reply #141 on: February 12, 2009, 07:58:49 AM »

How many times do I have to tell you?  The victim digs the hole. 

That could take a while.  Plus then you'd run the chance of someone wandering by wondering why one dude is diggin' the hole while the other one is holding a gun doing nothing.  Then you gotta have another victim dig another hole.  That could take a while.

if you own the cornfield, this changes everything.....no wandering of anyone that doesn't want a dirt nap

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 12, 2009, 08:25:48 AM »

I finished my PhD-- the defense was on Jan. 29th.

Congratulations :)

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 12, 2009, 05:00:53 PM »

I'm going to a party Sunday and want to bring a decent wine.  Any recommendations/favorites?

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2009, 05:04:29 PM »

I'm going to a party Sunday and want to bring a decent wine.  Any recommendations/favorites?

Since it's winter I assume you're going for a red.  And if it's a party, I'm assuming you want something that has popular appeal.  That taken into account, my recommendation would be a shiraz.  There are a lot of good ones for the money from Australia, particularly Jacob's Creek.

Riddler

« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2009, 05:14:59 PM »

Since it's winter I assume you're going for a red.  And if it's a party, I'm assuming you want something that has popular appeal.  That taken into account, my recommendation would be a shiraz.  There are a lot of good ones for the money from Australia, particularly Jacob's Creek.

winter-shminter.....what's wrong w/ a nice chardonnay???
 i drink that shit year round
although, you could splurge & bring a nice bottle o' port....def. a winter beverage for me. it's more an apres-meal-type wine...sweet & heavy
sandeman 20 yr old tawny @ $35.00
that'll warm your cockles

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2009, 05:32:29 PM »

Billi Billi Shiraz is great. Don't get it at Whole Foods though, 'cause where they sell it for $23/bottle, the farmers market has it for $13.
For a nice Chardonnay around $10, you can get Sustainable White @ Whole Foods. Pretty good, and has the amusing conversation starter of being "carbon neutral".
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2009, 05:56:37 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll be sure to look for those.  It's always fun trying out new wine :)

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2009, 07:54:05 PM »

I got a Jacob's Creek Reserve 2005 Shiraz, and since I was in a store specializing in drinks, was also able to pick up some Goose Island Bourbon County Stout (2008).  That stuff is crazy good.

JWI

« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2009, 08:12:43 PM »

How many times do I have to tell you?  The victim digs the hole. 

That could take a while.  Plus then you'd run the chance of someone wandering by wondering why one dude is diggin' the hole while the other one is holding a gun doing nothing.  Then you gotta have another victim dig another hole.  That could take a while.

if you own the cornfield, this changes everything.....no wandering of anyone that doesn't want a dirt nap

The truth, you speak it.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 101   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 33 queries.