Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: The Question Thread  (Read 432489 times)

Rillion

• View Profile
Re: The Question Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 05:12:32 AM »

If you have a doctor friend, you can also get yourself a prescription for steroids.  That's more for if you've got something long-term like Mono.  I only know that because I did this when I got Mono while I was in a musical.  Strangely, a very low fever and the sore throat from hell were my only symptoms.

You are one lucky guy, then.  I got mono in college and was bed-bound for days....felt like death had warmed over. 

NHArticleTen

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2009, 06:35:12 AM »

This isn't a question, but a rant (taken from today's LJ).  Hopefully it will prevent people from doing stupid things when trading stocks.  If anyone isn't sure what I mean in the following, feel free to ask :P

Today was an odd day for my company's stock, and I'm a bit embarrassed by the stupidity of a trade by one of my fellow, low-level coworkers. There were 0 trades all day until almost the end of the day (which is particularly strange, we usually have over 10k trades in a day). Asks were around $4, bids must've been around, oh, $3.02. Well, someone, I'm not sure who, decided to sell his or her Employee Stock Purchase Plan shares from Q4...all 114 of them (I'm almost certain it was a coworker who bough shares through the ESPP because 114*$2.20, the strike price for Q4 shares under the ESPP, is $250...nice and round). This trade, while stupid for many reasons (seriously, you paid a $13 commision on a $344 trade? ...and you either asked $3.02 or put in "market price" without checking volume and bid/ask?), singlehandedly dropped the stock $0.10 for the day (a bit over 3%) to $3.02.

Now ask is $5.73 and bid is $1.01. It's almost comical. Scratch that, it is comical. I guess we'll see what happens when earnings are released. My guess is the person who sold today will not be too happy.

Idiot.

this "someone" decided for themselves when to "get out"...no shame in making that call for yourself...a person must know his or her limitations...

what if the stock dies...or lies at a few cents for a year or two...then this person's decision becomes more "acceptable"...

your assertion that their choice to sell at a buyer's price has shown that the stock was/is over-valued is correct...

it's called the free-market...

and for those who are "into" over-valued "anything"...some will get "bailed-out"...some will get fucked...

guess your co-worker didn't want to get fucked anymore...

go figure...

enjoy!

Riddler

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2009, 07:56:48 AM »

Anyone know anything about Dave Henderson or Lawrence Samuels in California?

I just had coffee with Lawrence and wanted to know if anyone knew anything about either one of these guys.

one's a magician, the other's a fag.
not sure which is which, tho.
hope i was helpful.

Riddler

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009, 08:04:20 AM »

This isn't a question, but a rant (taken from today's LJ).  Hopefully it will prevent people from doing stupid things when trading stocks.  If anyone isn't sure what I mean in the following, feel free to ask :P

Today was an odd day for my company's stock, and I'm a bit embarrassed by the stupidity of a trade by one of my fellow, low-level coworkers. There were 0 trades all day until almost the end of the day (which is particularly strange, we usually have over 10k trades in a day). Asks were around $4, bids must've been around, oh, $3.02. Well, someone, I'm not sure who, decided to sell his or her Employee Stock Purchase Plan shares from Q4...all 114 of them (I'm almost certain it was a coworker who bough shares through the ESPP because 114*$2.20, the strike price for Q4 shares under the ESPP, is $250...nice and round). This trade, while stupid for many reasons (seriously, you paid a $13 commision on a $344 trade? ...and you either asked $3.02 or put in "market price" without checking volume and bid/ask?), singlehandedly dropped the stock $0.10 for the day (a bit over 3%) to $3.02.

Now ask is $5.73 and bid is $1.01. It's almost comical. Scratch that, it is comical. I guess we'll see what happens when earnings are released. My guess is the person who sold today will not be too happy.

Idiot.

this "someone" decided for themselves when to "get out"...no shame in making that call for yourself...a person must know his or her limitations...

what if the stock dies...or lies at a few cents for a year or two...then this person's decision becomes more "acceptable"...

your assertion that their choice to sell at a buyer's price has shown that the stock was/is over-valued is correct...

and for those who are "into" over-valued "anything"...some will get "bailed-out"...some will get fucked...

go figure...

enjoy!

"WHEN E.F. HUTTON RAD-ROB TALKS, PEOPLE LISTEN."

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2009, 08:11:39 AM »

What the fuck is the purpose of canned potatoes?  Seriously. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

NHArticleTen

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2009, 08:16:19 AM »

ever tried to store a raw potato for a few years?

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2009, 08:17:23 AM »

ever tried to store a raw potato for a few years?

Why would one need to  store a raw potato for years?  Canned potatoes cannot possibly taste good.  I'm sure they have a completely different texture, making them unusable in a lot of standard potato recipes. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Bill Brasky

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2009, 10:39:19 AM »

Canned potatoes work just fine when making a small pot of soup or stew.  I usually keep the following on a shelf to make soup.  1 can each of potatoes, green beans, corn, sliced carrots, diced tomatoes.  A thingy of beef bullion, and a chunk of beef in the freezer.  Thats a fresh pot of beef veggie soup on a saturday without leaving the house.  Whole thing costs maybe $9. 

The potatoes are no different than what you'd get in a can of soup. 

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2009, 10:44:59 AM »

I know redistribution of wealth is frowned on by a Libertarian. 

Wherever did you get that idea? I redistribute my wealth all the time. Tomorrow, I'll be redistributing some of it at Costco. There's nothing wrong with passing your wealth around--so long as it's YOU doing the distributing, and you're doing it of your own accord.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2009, 05:47:18 PM »

Idiot.

go figure...

enjoy!

I'm not sure what your point is.  Our stock has done quite well since the beginning of the year when those shares were purchased (currently 37% higher than the purchase price).  This person only go screwed by his or her lack of knowledge of how to trade.  Even if you want to dump a stock, there's a smart and a stupid way to do it.  This was the stupid way...unless s/he was absolutely desperate.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2009, 06:52:54 PM »

Canned potatoes work just fine when making a small pot of soup or stew.  I usually keep the following on a shelf to make soup.  1 can each of potatoes, green beans, corn, sliced carrots, diced tomatoes.  A thingy of beef bullion, and a chunk of beef in the freezer.  Thats a fresh pot of beef veggie soup on a saturday without leaving the house.  Whole thing costs maybe $9. 

The potatoes are no different than what you'd get in a can of soup. 

Thank you for the best answer I have received in many years. 
         -George W. Bush

Elitist Bitch

• The 12th Cylon
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2009, 07:23:34 PM »

2.  What's the quickest way to soothe a sore throat?

Ibuprofen suspension, 100mg per 5ml. Gargle two to three teaspoons for thirty seconds to one minute, then spit out (or swallow, as long as you haven't taken a bunch more ibuprofen that day.)

And for one of my own.

What's a sure-fire way to make a good impression on a future mother-in-law? (I have a record with boyfriends' mothers reaching epic disaster level.)
Sometimes, you have to roll a hard six.

rabidfurby

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2009, 08:06:43 PM »

What's a sure-fire way to make a good impression on a future mother-in-law? (I have a record with boyfriends' mothers reaching epic disaster level.)

Elitist Bitch

• The 12th Cylon
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2009, 08:13:43 PM »

HAHA!
Sometimes, you have to roll a hard six.

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2009, 08:15:43 PM »

How is is possible that the massive Sun stays stationary in space?

It doesn't. The universe is hurtling apart, and the sun is traveling at millions of miles per hour as part of one of the massive rotating arms of the milky way galaxy. The relative motion of bodies in space is similar to how you can sit in a car going 80 MPH and feel stationary relative to the driver but not the road signs.
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 101   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.