Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Australian government is threatening me into voting.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Australian government is threatening me into voting.  (Read 4192 times)

Mixand

• View Profile
The Australian government is threatening me into voting.
« on: February 15, 2011, 04:57:04 AM »

I've been receiving letters telling me to enrol to vote since I'm 18 now. It says "It is a legal requirement to enrol and failure to do so may result in a fine. So please ensure you post back your signed letter and enrolment forms within 14 days to avoid any follow-up action. I look forward to hearing from you soon."

I'm sure you do.

I've just been ignoring these letters, I can't afford to pay a fine of any amount and even if I could I wouldn't pay them, I'd rather go to jail.
Anybody have experience with this?
Government: Organized crime with a flag.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
Re: The Australian government is threatening me into voting.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 01:13:41 PM »

I heard about that law from Frezned's channel on YouTube.  This is something worthy of Civil Disobedience, in my book.  It's outrageous.  I'd go to jail for it.  That's just me though.

I am suspicious whether they'd really lock someone up for this though.  Bring as much attention to it as you possibly can if you do decide to defy the law.  Have a good, succinct message to explain your actions.  If I were in your shoes, I would be exploring all the ramifications of various choices and be careful not to be knee-jerk about the choice to defy.  Basically do a cost-benefit analysis and feel confident that the benefits outweigh the costs of the C.D.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:33:01 AM by Dalebert »

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 01:21:11 PM »

I would register to vote and then go and vote.  Because its stupid to put yourself into a shitty situation on purpose.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 05:11:36 PM »

I would register to vote and then go and vote.  Because its stupid to put yourself into a shitty situation on purpose.

people in the free state believe they should though
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 06:43:52 PM »

I wouldn't register to vote, then they would fine me. I'd pay the fine, but then I'd do an equal dollar amount of physical damage to city property. Throw a rock through their window, slash a few cop car tires in the wee hours of the morning........ something of that nature.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Alex Libman

• View Profile
    • libman.org
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 11:02:16 AM »

Voting is a religious ritual that supposedly gives one a magical "divine right" to hurt others.

Doesn't the "Constitution of Australia" say something about Freedom of Religion (Section 116)?

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »

Hey everyone, this criminal is telling me that he'll shoot me if I don't stand on one leg!  All I have to do is stand on one leg and he'll let me go!  I think I'd rather get shot than stand on one leg!
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 01:42:41 PM »

Hey everyone, this criminal is telling me that he'll shoot me if I don't stand on one leg!  All I have to do is stand on one leg and he'll let me go!  I think I'd rather get shot than stand on one leg!

Srsly?  I have serious doubts about how far they would take this.  It's really getting into a freedom of speech issue.  You could say "no" and I would be willing to bet they won't immediately shoot you.  They'll send a piece of paper at first.  They might even push to collect on it.  Ultimately you could pay the fine to end the harassment, which might suck.  On the other hand, has anyone taken this far and actually challenged it?  Raised the public discourse about what this really means?  I honestly don't know.  I'm asking.  But I'm fairly confident it's not so hyperbolic as "Do this really easy (but blasphemous) thing OR DIE INSTANTLY!"

BKO

• FTL unAMPlifier Aluminum
  • Death is only the beginning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 02:10:27 PM »

I've been receiving letters telling me to enrol to vote since I'm 18 now. It says "It is a legal requirement to enrol and failure to do so may result in a fine. So please ensure you post back your signed letter and enrolment forms within 14 days to avoid any follow-up action. I look forward to hearing from you soon."

I'm sure you do.

I've just been ignoring these letters, I can't afford to pay a fine of any amount and even if I could I wouldn't pay them, I'd rather go to jail.
Anybody have experience with this?

Failure to respond will have legal ramifications as well. I am not too familiar with Aussy law, but I can guess it is not too far detached from English rule or American codified law. You can probably send them a notarized letter explaining your case in the time they have allotted you. In this letter you can claim all your rights and explicitly note that you are not waiving any either, and that you refuse to accept their contract. By doing this, their legal avenue is effectively nullified and you can continue to go about your day in peace. Be sure to send it via certified post with signature request and make copies.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 02:12:39 PM by BKO »

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 06:18:29 PM »

Nah, just stand on one leg, then when he turns around to walk away, take out one of his legs so he can never walk on it again.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Australian government is threatening me into voting.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.