Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Thank you Google!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Thank you Google!  (Read 12630 times)

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
Re: Thank you Google!
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 02:18:54 PM »

Over the years, sometimes it almost felt like it would be easier to just do everything in C (with lots of great libraries of course)
Exactly. In fact that's just what they did at a former company I worked at -- Cummins Electronics (later folded into the Cummins Engine mothership).
All the real-time code was lovingly custom coded, but all built on reusable libraries. Who needs a RTOS with their licensing fees?

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 03:01:05 PM »

The reason why I qualified my above statement with "almost felt like" is because I know it's wrong, it just feels that way sometimes.

A stupid little .com startup wannabe group that I ran in high school (after AL's SoftWare, with mostly the same people on board) called "ThinkTank Online Services" (TTOS) made this mistake.  We wanted to have strong server-side assets that we can later resell, and dynamic languages weren't as good / scalable back then, so we've decided to do everything with C/C++ CGI.  Baaad idea.  We should have at least prototyped in perl first, but we didn't.  Really slowed us down, and the project never amounted to anything functional...  :cry:

Russell Griswold

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 12:34:16 AM »

That's pretty cool.  :)

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 10:36:36 AM »

There's supposed to be a big announcement about Chrome OS tomorrow (the 19th).  Whatever it is, I hope it involves more awesome code being BSD'ed. 

I'm not much of a cheerleader for Google's Web services, and I wish they had used NetBSD instead of the Linux kernel, but their decision to use the BSD license for those major projects has breathed new life into my hope of finally getting a usable all-BSD desktop.  (Yeah, I'm a major anti-GNU snob!  Copyleft is government force!)  To this point the "pure BSD" experience was great on the server but didn't include much GUI: sure, we had X + Compiz + JWM / E17, but that's pretty much it.  Chrome changed that completely!  When you have a Web browser (especially one with lightning-fast AJAX and Xiph codecs), it's all the GUI you need!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:40:23 AM by Alex Libman »

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 09:31:52 PM »

[youtube=425,350]KA5RQv9mBoY[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]0QRO3gKj3qw[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]ANMrzw7JFzA[/youtube]

From Slashdot -- Google Releases Source To Chromium OS --

Google has released the source to what will eventually become Chrome OS, and will begin developing it as an open source project like Chromium.  The OS differs from the usual computing model by (1) making all apps Web apps (2) sandboxing everything and (3) removing anything unnecessary, to focus on speed.

Google said consumers won't be able to download the operating system - it will only be available on hardware that meets Google's specifications.  Hard disks are banned, for instance, while Google said it will also specify factors such as screen sizes and display resolutions.  Google said it plans to officially launch Chrome OS by the end of next year.

I'm not drinking Google's Kool-Aid when it comes to Web services, but, like I said - kudos to them for developing an awesome FOSS code-base, which can then be forked at any time.

From /src/LICENSE - verbatim 3-clause BSD license:

// Copyright (c) 2006-2009 The Chromium OS Authors. All rights reserved.
//
// Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
// modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
// met:
//
// * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
// notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
// * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
// copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer
// in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
// distribution.
// * Neither the name of Google Inc. nor the names of its
// contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
// this software without specific prior written permission.
//
// THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
// "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
// LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
// A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
// OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
// SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
// LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
// DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
// THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
// (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
// OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:33:05 PM by Alex Libman »

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 09:58:28 PM »

Fuck Google.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 10:35:07 PM »

No, fuck Google's Web services.  ;)

But the BSD-licensed software they've created is pure awesomeness.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 11:54:13 PM »

No, fuck Google's Web services.  ;)

But the BSD-licensed software they've created is pure awesomeness.

I want MY software to run on MY system.  Not on some asshole's system far far away.  Fuck this "cloud" computing bullshit.  Fuck this serverside bullshit.  I want it on my system and my system alone.  Why the fuck do you think I built such a sick system?  Because I want some assholes in Pakistan to read my e-mails?  fuck no.  That's why I refuse to use Gmail.  Those assholes don't need to be reading my e-mail to see my advertising interests.  M$ offers more privacy in Hotmail!  Fuck Google.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 12:24:56 AM »

I agree 100.00 percent!  That's why I intend to run the Chrome fork with a plugin that blocks Google's ads / tracking code, and through a caching proxy so even resources like Wikipedia can be forked locally.  And, hey, we could use Go / V8 JS engine to write a search engine that competes with Google.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 12:26:52 AM by Alex Libman »

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 10:43:22 AM »

From Slashdot -- Google Says Ad Blockers Will Save Online Ads --

Google -- the world's largest online ad broker -- sees no reason to worry about the addition of ad-blocking extensions to its Chrome browser.  Online advertisers will ensure their ads aren't too annoying, the company says, and netizens will ultimately realize that online advertising is a good thing.

Weird.  :?

Oh well...  ChromeForChristmas.com  8)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 11:11:02 AM by Alex Libman »

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 01:34:01 PM »

Today it was hinted that Chrome OS will make heavy use of another permissively-licensed technology released a year ago, the Google Native Client, which allows for secure execution of lightning-fast native code inside the Web browser.  It's about time serious Web developers found a good reason to start using lower-level languages again.  Makes me wonder if Duke Nukem Forever will be written in Go and released entirely through the Web browser...  someday...  ;)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 01:44:13 PM by Alex Libman »

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2009, 05:44:38 PM »

Hmmm, is Google starting to spider this site every 15 minutes now?  Awesomeness!

I'm going to search for this message contents in quotes to find out how soon it's indexed.

EDIT: actually it's more like every 5 minutes!   Wow... 

Oh, poor, poor Richard, his powers of deletion are valid no more...  :roll:

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 06:07:40 PM by Alex Libman »

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 12:42:48 PM »

From TIOBE Software -- January Headline: Google's Go is the TIOBE Programming Language of 2009! --

Google's brand new programming language Go has won the "TIOBE's Programming Language of the Year 2009" award. This award is given to the programming language that gained most market share in 2009. Go had an increase of 1.25% since its official release announcement in November 2009. The difference with the runner-up is only 0.01%: Apple's language Objective-C scored a positive trend of 1.24% in one year's time.

Is Go a hype? May be. But even if it appears to be just another language, the fact that it is a language designed by Google is sufficient to make it really popular. Nobody will be blamed to use a language that is associated with the Google brand name. Apart from that, there is also something technically promising about Go. It has native support for concurrent programming, thus fulfilling the existing need of a language that allows efficient use of multicore processors.

It is astonishing to see that a programming language can rise so fast. Go was not listed yet last month and now it is already #13. This sudden change might be considered an inevitable consequence of our current culture, in which new information is spread and used around the globe at the speed of light.

Also close this year was PHP. It gained 1.19% in 2009 and surpassed Visual Basic and C++ to become number 3 of the chart. More information about trends and forecasts can be found in the news flash at the end of this page.

(I've previously posted monthly TIOBE updates on my "Perl is dead. PHP sucks. Long live Python!" thread, which I'm now backing away from due to Python's recent decline in popularity, and because I'm tired of everyone polluting UNIX and UNIX-like OS'es / distributions with their favorite scripting / shell languages.  There are just too many!)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:46:21 PM by Alex Libman »

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 09:23:44 AM »

From Slashdot -- Google Hacked, May Pull Out of China --

Following a sophisticated attack on Google infrastructure originating from China late last year, Google has decided to take "a new approach" to China.  In their investigation, Google found that more than 20 large companies had been infiltrated and dozens of Chinese human rights activists' Gmail accounts had been compromised.  Google has decided to "review the feasibility of [its] business operations in China", no longer censoring results in Google.cn, and if necessary, to "shut down Google.cn, and potentially [Google's] offices in China".

And a follow-up by CmdrTaco himself -- Google.cn Has Already Lifted Censorship --

In an update to Google's withdrawal from China, there are reports that censorship has already been lifted.

It's probably taken a while to report because of Google's ranking system."

(Just a warning that the language on that blog post is NSFW but it does provide evidence.)

That's... pretty darn heroic of them!  (Better late than never.)

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 01:04:59 PM »

I checked--google.cn is already spewing Tienanmen tank man.  May not make it through the government's own filters though...I can't check that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Thank you Google!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.