Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Thank you Google!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Thank you Google!  (Read 12623 times)

AL the Inconspicuous

Thank you Google!
« on: November 10, 2009, 11:05:28 PM »

Go[WP]

[youtube=425,350]rKnDgT73v8s[/youtube]

This is so huge!!!

My jaw is on the floor!

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Thank you Google!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 12:50:32 AM »

Congratulations on your non-troll post!

Interesting it only supports real operating systems.  I like that it addresses a lot of syntactical issues along with the innovations.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 01:40:50 AM »

It targets the best server operating systems first, though it compiles perfectly fine under Mac OS X and Windows via Cygwin.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 01:54:57 AM »

On the down side, no exceptions, no function overloading, and a lot of stuff other people appreciate more than I do.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 02:05:13 AM »

Right now it's not better than a dozen other ambitious languages that tried to do similar things over the past ~15 years (the first thing that comes to mind is E, and the second is Evlan, the latter only because I knew its developer before he was hired by Google).  What's different this time is the amount of brains and capital that can be put behind this project.

It should also be noted that Google decided to release it very early, so it shouldn't be compared to the maturity of Java or C# when they were released, but rather the way those projects were incubated internally for a couple years prior.

I also like its license - BSD.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 02:20:40 AM by Alex Libman »

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 02:23:42 PM »

From Slashdot -- Go, Google's New Open Source Programming Language --

Many readers are sending in the news about Go, the new programming language Google has released as open source under a BSD license.  The official Go site characterizes the language as simple, fast, safe, concurrent, and fun.  A video illustrates just how fast compilation is: the entire language, 120K lines, compiles in under 10 sec on a laptop.  Ars Technica's writeup lays the stress on how C-like Go is in its roots, though it has plenty of modern ideas mixed in:

"For example, there is a shorthand syntax for variable assignment that supports simple type inference.  It also has anonymous function syntax that lets you use real closures.  There are some Python-like features too, including array slices and a map type with constructor syntax that looks like Python's dictionary concept.  [...]  One of the distinguishing characteristics of Go is its unusual type system.  It eschews some typical object-oriented programming concepts such as inheritance.  You can define struct types and then create methods for operating on them.  You can also define interfaces, much like you can in Java.  In Go, however, you don't manually specify which interface a class implements.  [...]  Parallelism is emphasized in Go's design.  The language introduces the concept of 'goroutines' which are executed concurrently.  [...]  The language provides a 'channel' mechanism that can be used to safely pass data in and out of goroutines."

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 02:55:05 PM »

I'm tired of new languages. Maybe I just got burned by Perl6 being vapor for too many years and Java sucking ass.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 02:58:07 PM »

I'm tired of new languages. Maybe I just got burned by Perl6 being vapor for too many years and Java sucking ass.

C++ and Java sucking ass took a lot out of me...which, oddly, is why this looked refreshing.  Nevertheless, must have exceptions, for starters.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 03:08:59 PM »

I get tired of all the new vaporlangs too, but, c'mon...  it's Google!  They can do awesome stuff!  (And the BSD monolicense makes corporate kool-aid pretty darn safe.)

And they never said there won't be exceptions, etc added in the future (and I'm already playing with an "error channel" concept right now).  They're not releasing it for mass consumption yet, just "open sourcing" it so more people could provide ideas and feedback.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 03:35:11 PM by Alex Libman »

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 03:19:50 PM »

you can always implement exceptions yourself if the lang has closures

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 04:54:18 PM »

C++ and Java sucking ass took a lot out of me...which, oddly, is why this looked refreshing.  Nevertheless, must have exceptions, for starters.
C++ is far better than Java.  Fuck Java.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 05:21:07 PM »

C++ is far better than Java.
Only because you can simply not use all the OOP BS and just code C as God intended

Fuck Java.
^THIS

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 05:26:49 PM »

C++ is far better than Java.
Only because you can simply not use all the OOP BS and just code C as God intended

Fuck Java.
^THIS
Yup.  I can't think of any serious piece of software that is written in Java.  I wonder why... (not really)
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 05:41:46 PM »

Man I love plain C...   :D

Over the years, sometimes it almost felt like it would be easier to just do everything in C (with lots of great libraries of course) rather than having to know a dozen other languages / VM's / etc here and there.  Of course adding some built-in syntax sugar for regex, hashes, etc to the language would be nice too, and shouldn't hurt performance at all, but OOP is lies.

I like to go optimization-crazy sometimes, like remove the configuration overhead by making all settings compile-time.  (Yup, playing with Gentoo / BSD will do that to you.  Good times.)  That's just me fooling around, but if compilation becomes much faster, the ports / portage concept of custom-compiling every package could spread.

I can't think of any serious piece of software that is written in Java.

Java is a business language - it gets used a lot more than home users notice.  Like COBOL.  :roll:

It sucks for low level programming because it will never be as fast & powerful as C, and it sucks for scripting because there are dynamic languages built specifically with programmer productivity in mind.  It's neither town nor country - the worst of both worlds.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 05:46:46 PM by Alex Libman »

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 10:52:21 PM »

The "Great Computer Language Shootout Game" included Go in its benchmarks.

Disappointing - so far...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Thank you Google!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 32 queries.