Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Teens arrested over Wikileaks (Operation Payback)
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Teens arrested over Wikileaks (Operation Payback)  (Read 1794 times)

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
Teens arrested over Wikileaks (Operation Payback)
« on: January 28, 2011, 02:05:43 PM »

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/01/arrested-uk-anonymous-web-attacks/

Five men have been arrested in the United Kingdom for their involvement in "recent and ongoing" attacks by an online "non-group" of hacktivists that calls itself "Anonymous."

Three teenagers aged 15, 16 and 19 along with two men, aged 20 and 26, were arrested by authorities Thursday morning in connection with offenses under the Computer Misuse Act, BBC News reported.

Following the arrest of five people in Britain in connection with the "Operation Payback" cyber-attacks in support of WikiLeaks, the FBI announced mass raids across the United States in connection with the case.

-------------PART 2---------------

"FBI agents today executed more than 40 search warrants throughout the United States as part of an ongoing investigation into recent coordinated cyber attacks against major companies and organizations," a bureau press release states.

Though the bureau did not say if any individuals were arrested during the raids, it did confirm a link between the US raids and the arrests in Britain. The bureau said suspects, if charged, could face up to 10 years in prison.

The police actions indicate that governments on both sides of the Atlantic are determined to prevent hacktivists from taking revenge against companies that ceased to do business with WikiLeaks following the release of US State Department cables late last year.

Article also contains content describing the DOS attacks, the Pirate Party calling politicians to action, etc.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
Re: Teens arrested over Wikileaks (Operation Payback)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 02:09:28 PM »

Individuals vandalizing the property of private companies is immoral, no matter who's name its done in. While there could be something I'm missing, I think this demonstrates government protecting private property for once, even if their motives for doing so aren't pure.

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 02:39:22 PM »

Except they arent just going after private companies, they go after the government sites as well.  And the private companies that they went after were the ones that had decided to throw their lot in with the government.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 05:47:01 PM »

It is possible for something to be immoral, for the perpetrator to deserve - and get - justice, for the person(s) whose property was impacted to receive restitution... and for me to think the perp(s) are hella cool.

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 07:08:28 PM »

Except they arent just going after private companies, they go after the government sites as well.  And the private companies that they went after were the ones that had decided to throw their lot in with the government.

That's a child's view of it. They may have been trying to avoid government ire in the case of any future cases. Either way,  private companies have the right to refuse business.

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 09:15:25 PM »

Should we celebrate?
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 09:34:35 PM »

It is possible for something to be immoral, for the perpetrator to deserve - and get - justice, for the person(s) whose property was impacted to receive restitution... and for me to think the perp(s) are hella cool.

Yes, but you'd be wrong about the perps... kinda

While private companies that cut off wikileaks funding were not inititiating force by doing so, chances are good they've done something else that really was initiating force so fuck 'em.

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 09:59:33 PM »

While private companies that cut off wikileaks funding were not inititiating force by doing so, chances are good they've done something else that really was initiating force so fuck 'em.

And you've never initiated force yourself? We should not condemn these companies on what they might have done in other, unrelated instances. The fact is they aren't doing anything wrong; they are merely refusing services.

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 10:08:45 PM »

And you've never initiated force yourself? We should not condemn these companies on what they might have done in other, unrelated instances. The fact is they aren't doing anything wrong; they are merely refusing services.

Oh they're definitely doing something 'wrong' it might well be the only thing they can do as a result of the decision making structure of the organisation, but it's definitely wrong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Teens arrested over Wikileaks (Operation Payback)

// ]]>

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 31 queries.