Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Starting a local libertarian education group
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting a local libertarian education group  (Read 2117 times)

mark_mnc1

• View Profile
Starting a local libertarian education group
« on: March 07, 2011, 04:53:56 AM »

I think Ive brought up this topic before but never the less I would still like to do it sometime...and in the near future too.  Does anyone have any suggestions/advice for how to start a local libertarian group going?  Im not talking about with the local Libertarian Party-they already have social gatherings, financial meetings, campaigns, etc.  Im talking about trying to teach people-property rights, basic economics, and mainly how the NAP can be applied to nearly any subject.  I grew up a few miles west of here in the suburbs and am thinking about there but I almost want to say screw it...theres just too many brainwashed statists yuppies and I think I would just get in too many screaming matches there..but who knows.  Ive kind of been thinking about going to a building in the inner city to teach people there simply because the seem to need it the most and might be the most open to it.

At any rate, would a powerpoint presentation be helpful or should I just have nothing?  Also, would putting pamplets around the area help out at all? 

Mark   

davann

Re: Starting a local libertarian education group
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »

Facebook would work would it not?

Good luck, but please be aware how dangerous the ideas our group tend to have are. I think it was Mr. Shaw that compared to walking through a one way door. Once through, you can't go back. Ever. It can get depressing to be always at odds with the rest of society.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 04:11:57 PM »

Local facebook group. Preach the gospel.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 04:19:28 PM »

Organize "meetings" at a local Starbucks or bar or bowling alley
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Brooklyn Red Leg

• The Red Legged Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 04:23:45 PM »

At any rate, would a powerpoint presentation be helpful or should I just have nothing?  Also, would putting pamplets around the area help out at all?

A broad spectrum approach probably works best: Facebook, pamphlets, multimedia, 'Town Hall'-type meetups etc. Good luck!
"Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken

Er_Murazor's KoLWiki Page

mark_mnc1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 02:56:57 AM »

Thanks, they all seem to be good suggestions.  I could more easily have a class in the burbs where I grew up simply because I know the area better but part of me tells me to go where liberty/freedom is need the most-the inner city. That would be harder because I dont know that area that well, the culture is different-they probably don't go to starbucks as often or to bars...maybe a church?  Ive heard inner city churches got a ton of non-religious local events going on. I guess I could try and bring a couple other local liberty lovers on the idea.

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 02:49:27 PM »

It's kinda all set-up for you already.  There are Young Americans for Liberty (always college or high school or some other school chapter), Students for Liberty (specialized in libertarian education and doesn't even need to be a group of students) and Liberty on the Rocks (AFAIK, always at a bar or restaurant).  I've been involved with all three organizations and they are all good.  The first two give you a lot of access to free physical resources.  They all teach you how to set stuff up and help you get people to the events.

Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

mark_mnc1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 02:26:36 AM »

Ive never heard of that Liberty on the Rocks group but I just checked it out and it looks good.  I thought YAF was good but heard a few things about them recently that seemed pretty statist to me.  Students for Liberty might be good but I need to look into their resources more (and get a printer to print the material out).   I also need to get my work hours fixed since Ive been working weird hours but I would really like to get this started and don't see any reason why not. 

I guess my second question is what problems or issues has anyone faced if they started a group like this?   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Starting a local libertarian education group

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.