Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  So You Can't Get a Buzz From E-Cigs?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: So You Can't Get a Buzz From E-Cigs?  (Read 21244 times)

Bill Brasky

Re: So You Can't Get a Buzz From E-Cigs?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 10:05:05 PM »

I vape about 3-4 ml's a day of 24mg. 

That translates to topping off a 2ml cartomizer about twice, from near-empty to near-full. 

I don't let it run dry, or fill it completely - I leave a bubble in it like you'd see in a carpenter's level.

The difference in my hand-to-mouth habits is, with cigs I'd smoke it down and be done with it.  With vaping, I take a few hits and I'm satisfied.  The "smoking" experience is never five minutes long, like a cigarette would be.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to vape, but personally, I'm most satisfied by using a nicotine strength that allows me to put it down for a while between "sessions". 

With strengths that are lower than your body requires to satisfy the addiction, you'll just keep huffing like a smog-monster.  At 24 mg, I can put it aside for a half-hour, sometimes an hour. 

Understandably, some flavors are actually delicious, so there are times when I'll vape for the flavor alone, rather than the traditional purpose of satisfying a nicotine craving. 

I've also stopped changing flavors during the day, mostly.  I'll vape peppermint for a few days, then when my cartomizer is fucked, I'll switch to bubblegum, or whatever. 

I used to flip-flop through several flavors during the day, and had dedicated cartos for each one.  But it was too difficult to keep 'em straight.  Sometimes I'd fill with the wrong flavor, and it would taste like ass.  I'm not as infatuated with dabbling amongst flavors as I was a few months ago, now I look forward to switching to Vanilla the day after tomorrow.

I figure I'm "smoking" for about $40 a month, or thereabouts.  I haven't bought any stuff since August, and didn't even need that.   

I'm gonna get some sort of vari-volt device when my shit runs out.  Haven't decided yet.   

Thus far, I've smoked exactly two packs of smokes since May 19th.  And mostly, that was when I was in a crude frame of mind.  Sometimes, you just feel like being nasty. 

tranced

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 10:14:07 PM »

Don't get the variable volt ego.  The switch housing to battery is a snap fit that gets loose with time.  I bought 2 of the 900mah ones, killed one, other one is working well.  Provari seems to be the #1 vv mod but to me it looks like ass.  Smoketech will come up with a VV e-power and I'll be on it.  Until then, I'm going to keep chugging along with my bats I already own.

MichaelWDean

• Worms!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 10:25:29 PM »

I accidentally ran a Vaporsmiths battery through the wash in my pants.

Dried it out, charged it, worked fine.

MWD

Bill Brasky

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 10:27:46 PM »

Don't get the variable volt ego.  The switch housing to battery is a snap fit that gets loose with time.  I bought 2 of the 900mah ones, killed one, other one is working well.  Provari seems to be the #1 vv mod but to me it looks like ass.  Smoketech will come up with a VV e-power and I'll be on it.  Until then, I'm going to keep chugging along with my bats I already own.

Yeah, I wasn't gonna get a vari-volt Ego.  (I didn't even know they made one)**

I was probly gonna go with the Provari, since you talked me out of the Darwin.

I don't care much how it looks, and in the next few months I'm sure there'll be some refinements.  As long as it's not huge, I don't care.  

I didn't inspect the reviews too deep, regarding size and whatnot.  They look to be about the size of a basic screwdriver handle.  I'm fine with that.  

**edit

« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 10:37:07 PM by Bill Brasky »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 10:47:12 PM »

I accidentally ran a Vaporsmiths battery through the wash in my pants.

Dried it out, charged it, worked fine.

MWD

I gave my cig-style stuff away.  It worked pretty good for a while, but I didn't like the 808's cartos. 

I tend to over-buy because I'm paranoid of running out.  I had, like 5 batts from a different competitor.  They do the job. 

What'll happen is, you'll start sniffing around and eventually buy a "better" kit.  Probly when your batts start going dead, which they inevitably do.

Nothing lasts forever. 

Those little cig-style batts are kinda cool.  Its the cartos that irritated me.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »

About 5 a day here too.

Whew... at $10 for 5, that's gonna add up.

1 still lasts me a couple days.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Osborne

• Worshipful Grand Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 08:22:37 PM »

About 5 a day here too.

1 still lasts me a couple days.

Well, you get 140 at a time with the 30% coupon and they're half that price. Still more than I would like to spend, so I refill them once or twice with Ms T's.

Vaporsmith just announced extra-strength flavors, BTW.

MichaelWDean

• Worms!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 02:02:44 AM »

About 5 a day here too.

Vaporsmiths is an advertiser on our Freedom Feens podcast. They pay us in product.

MWD

AnCapMan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 03:19:20 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to address some peoples concerns regarding using more cartomizers than expected and the nicotine buzz.

First, the nicotine buzz or lack thereof that some are experiencing. This is absolutely expected once one understands the mechanics of nicotine absorption via vaporization and through combustion.

Combustion of tobacco occurs at ~400 degrees C. Once the smoke filters through the tobacco, and the filter - The temperature decreases to ~40 degrees C but when smoking more rapidly can and often will reach 100 degrees C. The nicotine through combustion attaches itself to other atoms and molecules such as carbon, and other particulate matter and chemicals. Because of the heavier nature of smoke (due to its particulate matter carried) the absorption occurs primarily in the lungs, both upper and lower. The lungs are a very direct route to the rest of the blood stream. An average smoker will receive approximately .9mg or less of nicotine in a full flavor cigarette.

Vaporization of nicotine solution occurs at ~92 degrees C and hits the mouth at ~30 degrees C. There are no particulate matter to attach to the nicotine molecule. Vapor is also lighter than smoke, and therefore most absorption of the nicotine, will occur in the throat to the upper lungs. The membranes will get the nicotine into your bloodstream, however the absorption rate of throat and upper lung tissue is not nearly instantaneous as with the only lungs.

So a smoker will not get a gigantic buzz off of ecigs, what it will do is maintain a higher baseline of nicotine in the blood stream and not create high peaks and valleys of nicotine in the blood serum. Think of it as the difference between an IV push via syringe vs IV drip. You are getting a steady dose vs a fast dose. The only way to get a true buzz off of an ecig is to increase nicotine levels or give a non nicotine user a hit. If we were to do blood and urine tests on smokers who smoke 1 pack a day and e cigarette users using 1-2 cartomizers per day we would find the nicotine metabolites to be the same.

On to the second point, regarding using more than expected. There are 3 reasons for this:
1 the above point regarding speed of absorption as I have already covered.
2 The ability to essentially use non stop all day long - We smokers are used to being notified that a cigarette smoking session is complete when the cigarette burns down. E-cigs don't tell you when you have taken ~15 -20 puffs. It will let you continue to puff away until either the battery goes dead, or the cartomizer runs out of liquid.
3 People tend to enjoy the flavor of an e cigarette more, and therefore use it more.

So add those 3 points up, and some people find they are using a lot more than their expectation, this is not always the case. We have hundreds of customers who use 1 cart a day who were previously 1 pack a day smokers, and they regularly, like clockwork, order every 27-30 days.

Others we have seen an increase in purchasing of cartomizers, when we survey those customers we find that they are experiencing one or more of the above 3 causes. They are either chasing that buzz - which we believe we will solve with the 24mg carts. Or when asked how often they put it down, we get "hardly ever" - Well, using more will consume more, and that is what causes a spike in their usage.

Also as far as carts not lasting as long, in case someone was making this point. Each cartomizer is manufactured to tolerances of 1 ml of liquid. However, just as with any manufacturing process, occasionally one will get less. We have a policy on this where we give store credit for truly bad cartomizers. Of course we know our running fail rate so anything out of the ordinary or a customer that repeatedly claims bad cartomizers shows a possible cheat the system scheme. So we do not advertise this policy.

Also cartomizers can be used faster in the USB Passthru- The pass thru operates at 5.1V this will create higher temperature at the coil and will therefore vaporize more liquid per second than the batteries on their own.

I hope this answers some of your concerns, and Ian wasn't talking about no buzz from e-cigs he was addressing no difference in flavor. Which isn't surprising since in the ultra-lights he was/is using are only .6% per 1ml solution. The ingredients are fairly simple: USP Propylene Glycol, distilled purified water, Glycerine, Natural and Artificial Flavorings, and the least of the ingredients, Nicotine.

As to cost, let me take an example of MWD - a 3 pack a day smoker previously. We would reccomend to him getting 120 - 140 cartomizers a month. Cost with our standing discounts that you can search for on various forums of 20% would be $159 per month - Less than what a pack a day smoker spends. A 3 pack a day smoker on avg in the USA spends $550 per month - So saying that 140 cartomizers is expensive to a previous 3 pack a day smoker is really odd as they are spending nearly $400 less per month - and the health savings are astronomical.

As to why we don't currently carry liquid for refilling, it has nothing to do with profit - I could make a great deal more on liquid than pre filled. Unfortunately there are issues with using liquids, or I should say there are liability issues with liquids. Please let me explain.

Nicotine, in the dosages one gets in cigarettes, or electronic cigarette consumption is non toxic, however consider that in 1 30ml 18mg strength nicotine bottle there is actually 540 mg of nicotine. The average adult has an almost certain fatality at ingestion of 54mg of nicotine all at once. Your average curious child ~10mg. So let me put that in further perspective. 1ml of liquid solution ingested by a child will be fatal. and 3 ml ingestion by an adult will almost certainly be fatal - And this is if the person is an otherwise healthy individual. Even a careless spill onto exposed skin that is not immediately washed off can cause arrhythmia and death.  So far there are, I believe, 12 known deaths of dogs in the USA due to liquid nicotine poisoning. There is no known antidote - Doctors can only supply pain relief during the strokes, aneurysms or heart attacks.

Now I have 2 issues with the above. Most importantly, I could never live with myself if my product was directly responsible for someones death, especially a child. Second, It would bankrupt a company that is  providing so much help to people in 7 different nations across the world rid themselves of the perils of tobacco. No insurance company on the planet will provide liability insurance for liquid.

I have gone back and forth on this issue. Wanting to provide what my customers want, but not wanting to endanger lives. I have drawn up contracts for potential liquid purchasing agreements with customers that they would agree to keep them safely secured and away from children when not in the immediate process of refilling. That they would agree to wear protective latex gloves, and immediately wash any exposed skin and remove any clothing that may have come into contact with liquid. Since no other company seems to want to address the dangers of e-liquid, I would be unable to sell liquid with the above referred contracts. - Government Courts protect the weak, and even with all the disclaimers in the world I will still lose in court. As someone who has been in the clean room lab mixing flavors - The precautions the workers take are even more than this- They wear full body protection and thick rubber gloves not to mention a respirator in case the nicotine is present during a fire. These are professional people that refill thousands of these things a day, are more competent than any liquid ecig user, and they still take precautions because they know of the risk, and want to mitigate it as much as possible.

I used to refill myself. - I know it is cheaper for the end user. I know that is why people want it. I just cannot sell it because of the above. As e-cigarettes become more and more popular, a tragedy is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. And when it does occur, that will cause the nanny state to ban e-cigs.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 03:21:58 PM »

I guess that explains it. As a non-smoker, I get frickin' buzzed off of ultra-lights when I smoke a lot.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 06:51:19 PM »

Great info AnCap.

In case your post was prompted by my reply to MWD regarding cost- I think Vaporsmiths has a great product. I haven't had a real cig since I started using it. I didn't know MWD was at 3 packs a day so yep- he's saving a bundle for sure.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

AnCapMan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2011, 09:16:18 AM »

Hellbilly,

No I was not specifically addressing you at all. I was just replying in general to concerns that I have seen posted in this thread and others. I don't have a great deal of time to be on forums any more but if you or anyone else have any questions please PM me and I will try to reply in a timely manner.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 09:32:30 AM by AnCapMan »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 02:13:36 AM »

You can get liquid in lots of places.  You can have the client fill out all the forms and contracts you want.  Ultimately, you are absolved from potential liability with a standard disclaimer. 

*HOWEVER*

On YOUR end, you are responsible for what you sell.  If it says 24 mg, it better damn well be 24 mg - and it doesn't matter if it's in pre-filled carto's or not. 

Heres a little taste of someone fucking up royally...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/239728-houston-we-have-problem-nic-titration-results.html

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 09:48:15 AM »

Ah, I just scrolled down that page a little bit.

This absolutely blows me out of the water!!! I totally agree with the ban and spreading the word. Thank God we didn't have a tragedy result from their poison. I wonder how many vendors have been using their product???? This stuff could be all over the place!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  So You Can't Get a Buzz From E-Cigs?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.