Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  So what's up with this Teach English Online thing?
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So what's up with this Teach English Online thing?  (Read 3518 times)

Bizurke

• whitty title goes here
    • View Profile
So what's up with this Teach English Online thing?
« on: December 02, 2010, 08:14:36 AM »

I heard the promo on the show on Sunday about the "Teach English Online" ebook at http://english.freetalklive.com. The idea is pretty interesting to me, but the website itself looks like a cookie cutter edition of your average "Buy my ebook and get uber mega rich, and if you buy it right now you'll save 50%!!" type of website I see all too often. The only thing it was lacking was the "Are you sure you want to leave this page" popup when I exited the page.

I'm wondering if anyone related to FTL/LRN really knows anything about this, or if it was just posted because of the 50% of profit from Clickbank? I know there is FTL branding and stuff about Liberty on the page, but any right minded person trying to sell their ebook online would whip that page up specifically for a popular radio show that is advertising for him.

I really like the idea, but am kind of weary when paying $30 for an ebook that claims it will make me money sitting at home. I have an interest specifically in teaching ESL abroad and think this would be a great way to get some money up before traveling for while.

I also noticed this on the affiliate website
If you have any special requests, such as color, size, font or design, don't hesitate to contact me, and I will make a special banner just for your website at no cost.

So if you, or anyone you know, knows anything about this I would definitely appreciate any comments.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:25:49 PM by Bizurke »

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
Re: So what's up with this Teach English Online thing?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 08:32:54 AM »

I have not investigated it further, but from the ads it sounds like someone is trying to sell you a book (or ebook) that supposedly teaches you how to find people who will pay you to talk with them in English on Skype.

It sounds like a horrible deal to me (and basically a scam).  If people are really looking for these services, you should be able to find them or figure out how to get involved by doing some searching on your own rather than spending $30 for some super-secret information.  Think about it.  If a large number of people want something, they'll create a market.  You shouldn't need to pay someone else to access it, much less find it.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 10:59:07 PM »

Shit, if there is really a market for talking to someone in english, you should be able to put out ads on Craigslist and get plenty of business. If not, its probably bullshit in the first place and there is no market for it.

Try it and see, who knows. Doesnt cost anything.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Walk For Liberty

• View Profile
    • The Walk For Liberty
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 12:53:47 AM »

@freeagent and quickmike, how much is your time worth to you? If you could pay someone $30 to teach you in a few hours something that you're interested in doing, would that be worth it to you? What if they've had a lot of experience in it, and can teach you techniques that can save you dozens of hours worth of trial and error in the skill you're trying to learn?

@bizurke, I can assure you it's not a scam! I agree that the page does look like any other internet sales page, but apparently that's the route he chose to take in writing his page (and it might not have been the best route for the FTL Sunday audience). He does provide quite a bit of information, templates, and extras to help you with finding and teaching students for the $30. It doesn't make the money for you automatically, but if you're willing to put in the work, yes, you can make money doing that working from home.
Watch my videos on the Walk For Liberty:
http://blog.walkforliberty.com

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 03:13:50 AM »

It doesn't make the money for you automatically, but if you're willing to put in the work, yes, you can make money doing that working from home.

Red flag...sounds just like the pitch for a Multi Level Marketing (MLM) scam.

Bullshit if you ask me.

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 10:04:10 AM »

@freeagent and quickmike, how much is your time worth to you? If you could pay someone $30 to teach you in a few hours something that you're interested in doing, would that be worth it to you? What if they've had a lot of experience in it, and can teach you techniques that can save you dozens of hours worth of trial and error in the skill you're trying to learn?

@bizurke, I can assure you it's not a scam! I agree that the page does look like any other internet sales page, but apparently that's the route he chose to take in writing his page (and it might not have been the best route for the FTL Sunday audience). He does provide quite a bit of information, templates, and extras to help you with finding and teaching students for the $30. It doesn't make the money for you automatically, but if you're willing to put in the work, yes, you can make money doing that working from home.

If there were a market for this service, there would be people posting want ads all over the internet saying "someone teach me english and I'll pay you for your services." (with the help of an english speaking friend of course) The internet is a two way street when it comes to services needed. If someone needs a service they can ask for it. Just google "wanted: someone to teach me to speak english" You'll find nothing really. This is bullshit for sure. If not, show me people who are making money at this. It should be a simple task if that is the case.

Walk For Liberty

• View Profile
    • The Walk For Liberty
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 11:04:19 AM »

If there were a market for this service, there would be people posting want ads all over the internet saying "someone teach me english and I'll pay you for your services." (with the help of an english speaking friend of course) The internet is a two way street when it comes to services needed. If someone needs a service they can ask for it. Just google "wanted: someone to teach me to speak english" You'll find nothing really. This is bullshit for sure. If not, show me people who are making money at this. It should be a simple task if that is the case.

I'm not trying to prove anything to you. But there are people who pay money for this service. Do you realize that there are different size markets for different things? Just because there is a market for something, doesn't mean there would be people posting ads "all over the internet" to ask for english teachers. And why do there even need to be people posting ads asking for the service at all, if they're just responding to ads which are offering the service? When's the last time you saw an ad someone posted asking "please show me a place to buy cheap plastic crap. help!"

Walk For Liberty

• View Profile
    • The Walk For Liberty
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 11:07:25 AM »

Red flag...sounds just like the pitch for a Multi Level Marketing (MLM) scam.

Bullshit if you ask me.

MLM would be a service to teach you to recruit and teach other teachers as a primary part of the model. This is just teaching you to teach students directly, that's it.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 10:54:23 PM »

Somebody just pay the 30 bucks and then post the pdf on here already then and we'll all know for sure!
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 09:57:17 AM »

Somebody just pay the 30 bucks and then post the pdf on here already then and we'll all know for sure!

*crickets chirping*

atomiccat

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Anarchy will Reign when pigs fly... Look a pig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 03:04:55 AM »

Talkbean.com Teach English online for free

Or apply to teach English online
http://www.longcountdown.com/2007/10/20/teach-english-online/

and just search for tips on how to get started
http://www.ehow.com/how_2147891_teach-english-online.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  So what's up with this Teach English Online thing?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 33 queries.