Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  So, in a society completely without government, what stops warlords?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: So, in a society completely without government, what stops warlords?  (Read 23462 times)

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile

Let's say the government collapses tomorrow.

What stops warlords from springing up? Neofeudal societies?

I don't think I've ever seen a good answer to this.

A warning: if I suddenly get mindless rants in this topic that do nothing to help the conversation they will be removed.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

theodorelogan

• View Profile
Re: So, in a society completely without government, what stops warlords?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 03:21:42 AM »

We have warlords now.  And these warlords control armies of millions of people and nuclear weapons, and kill people all over the world.
Go figure...

RAD!

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 03:23:38 AM »

We have warlords now.  And these warlords control armies of millions of people and nuclear weapons, and kill people all over the world.

That's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about actual warlords, like say those from the Middle Ages or (literally) from the Warlord Era of China in the early 20th century.

We don't have warlords, in that sense, now. And those in control of the governments of the First World couldn't be called warlords anyway.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 03:32:52 AM by Lady President Romana »

Moebius Tripp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 03:57:33 AM »

We don't have warlords, in that sense, now. And those in control of the governments of the First World couldn't be called warlords anyway.

I don't see why they couldn't.  They extract tribute from their conquered peoples, are surrounded by bodyguards, and wage wars based on lies.  Seems fairly warlordish to me.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 04:12:58 AM »

I don't see why they couldn't.  They extract tribute from their conquered peoples, are surrounded by bodyguards, and wage wars based on lies.  Seems fairly warlordish to me.

Except there is still a civil authority to be appealed to. In a warlord state, there is none.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 08:52:29 AM »

(1)  The only difference between a petty thug with a gun, a small-time gang of crooks, a slave-owning plantation, a Mafia crime family, a warlord, a principality, and state / national / world governments is their size.  The former, if not met with proper resistance, eventually find it in their interest to grow into the latter, "democracy theater" and all.

(2)  This has been debated endlessly on a number of forums (ex) with no conclusive theories on why an upstart warlord would be able to brainwash people more effectively than Mommy Government brainwashes them today, thus every warlord will be overwhelmed by billions of people who don't want to be its slaves.  Absence of government can only come about through wide-spread acceptance of the Non-Aggression Principle, which also means wide-spread resistance to new threats to one's life, liberty, and property.  If we can resist a trillion dollar nuclear monopoly on force whose claims of "divine right" to power trace back to antiquity, then resisting some crackpot Dr. Evil wannabe would be a piece of cake!

(3)  The government should not collapse 100% in one day (or one decade), nor should we want it to.  The crisis after the collapse of Communism in Eastern Europe perfectly demonstrates that people (and thus markets) need time to adjust to greater amounts of liberty.  What we need is gradual progression toward ever-stricter Minarchism, with ever-more intergovernmental competition, until enclaves of Anarcho-Capitalism can finally be allowed to emerge and grow organically on the basis of competitive advantage.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 09:05:40 AM by Alex Libman »

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »

The only difference between a petty thug with a gun, a small-time gang of crooks, a slave-owning plantation, a Mafia crime family, a warlord, a principality, and state / national / world governments is their size. 

No. The fact that they all have in common something bad, something you object to, does not make them the same. 
A Mafia crime family may be the same size as a small-time gang of crooks, but you would be ill-advised in dealing with them in the same way.  Likewise a slave owner and a warlord.  Any entity which governs (regulates others by force) which is greater than one person has its own internal government, and those function in different ways.  You have codes of honor, alliances, truces, etc.  With a larger, more powerful entity, you get more stability (for better or worse) but also more bureaucracy. 

Sure, there are commonalities-- the same themes of allegiance, loyalty, reward, etc.-- but those happen according to different rules, and it's generally better to deal with a group whose rules you know and understand.  The devil you know, and all of that. 

Give it a read.  It's educational. 

sandm000

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 09:58:25 AM »

What stops warlords? .50 cal?
Seriously, if he has thugs who pick on you and your neighbors, you have the means to protect yourself.
Eventually (and I'm not saying you wouldn't die in the process) he won't have any bodyguards and he'll have to do the thugging himself. And then he'll bite one lead piece.
Why will this work? He can't afford to have a shoot first ask questions later policy if he wants to extract money from you next week and the week after. He'll have a vested interest in your continued survival. Whereas you can shoot any number of thugs from him, because you aren't trying to gain anything from him, you're just trying to keep what you've got.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 11:13:48 AM »

Seriously, if he has thugs who pick on you and your neighbors, you have the means to protect yourself.
Eventually (and I'm not saying you wouldn't die in the process) he won't have any bodyguards and he'll have to do the thugging himself. And then he'll bite one lead piece.
Why will this work? He can't afford to have a shoot first ask questions later policy if he wants to extract money from you next week and the week after. He'll have a vested interest in your continued survival. Whereas you can shoot any number of thugs from him, because you aren't trying to gain anything from him, you're just trying to keep what you've got.

Thats not really true.  You're obviously gonna do what you can to survive, but warlords govern by fear of reprisal.  If you have no fear of reprisal, you're immediately worthless in the taxable sense and become valuable in the example sense.  He will use your show of power to display his own, which will demonstrate to others he is to be feared. 

Don't get me wrong, its noble to fight him off and all...  but it costs him nothing but a few soldiers and some bullets to crush what could lead to a much larger problem, which is a complete lack of respect of his power.  And it doesn't take a lot of convincing to send the enforcers in, this is what they signed up for.  They're thugs and scums, and they enjoy bringing fire to situations.  Every enforcer has a goal of one day being el supremo.   

davann

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 12:34:29 PM »

A warning: if I suddenly get mindless rants in this topic that do nothing to help the conversation they will be removed.

You. If this is something you do not wish to happen take action at the appropriate time. Better yet, become a warlord yourself and run things the way you want instead of being at the mercy of another. One could be a benevolent feudal lord.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 12:38:02 PM »

You need an army to defeat an army.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

BonerJoe

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 01:01:21 PM »

Personal nukes.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 02:58:49 PM »

Good responses.

What if he simply wants power, and, because he wants power, can afford to shoot as many people as he wants?

I'm talking about actual warlords, like say those from the Middle Ages or (literally) from the Warlord Era of China in the early 20th century.

What is the difference, or to put it another way, why couldn't First World governments be called warlords according to your definition?

Already said above. First World governments generally have a civil authority that can be appealed to.

You. If this is something you do not wish to happen take action at the appropriate time. Better yet, become a warlord yourself and run things the way you want instead of being at the mercy of another. One could be a benevolent feudal lord.

Absoulte power corrupts absolutely. And there's always going to be someone who wants to kill you and take your power.

davann

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 03:13:04 PM »

I'd like to expand upon my reply.

The appropiate time is now. If you do not wnt warlords in the future take the nessasary steps now. What are those steps? Well, that would again be up to you. For me it means educating those around me. Showing them through example that the desire to control others is harmful in the long run.

The problem I see with the liberty movement is it really is not offering something the sheeple want. The sheeple want warlords. Because of this, they will get warlords and those of us that want freedom will be out of luck until we start offering the sheeple something they want.

Riddler

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 04:52:33 PM »

plenty of warlords in somalia after the collapse of their govt.
as i stated before, the power vacuum over their,after the govt. became ineffective, created a fucking worse mess than they were in before....so much for your anarcho society model...it don't work.
so much for your non-agression principle.
all it takes is a bigger gang that takes a shit on your NAP & wipes its ass w/ you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  So, in a society completely without government, what stops warlords?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.