Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Smoking is Good for You
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoking is Good for You  (Read 12999 times)

Alex Libman 15

Re: Smoking is Good for You
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2009, 11:00:45 AM »

There's a good reason why governments got their plebs addicted to tobacco by supplying it for free during WW1 and encouraging an "if you don't smoke you're a pussy" attitude - it is psychologically favorable to encouraging toughness and willingness to take risks.  This is precisely the reason governments of today want it phased out...  :roll:

davann

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2009, 11:13:08 AM »

Maybe this Slashdot story will finally inspire me to get my act together -- Nicotine Improves Brain Function In Schizophrenics --

Never heard that one before. I'll have to read the article when I get a chance. It sounds like it plays right into the fact nicotine reduces the chances of getting Alzheimers. Something to do with the active chemical and how it interacts with the brain.

The only thing harmful about nicotine is the way it is currently cured.  If this process could be changed I am sure there are sorts of beneficial properties of this natural plant.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 07:21:21 PM by davann »

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 08:53:37 PM »

Smoking is actually a prophilaxis and a treatment for Parkinson's.
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

blackie

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 09:28:11 PM »

davann

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 12:44:29 PM »

Was there a reason you deleted my post Alex? Just curious. Do as you will.

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 01:50:06 PM »

I have no power to delete posts on this thread, because it is owned by an older incarnation of "Alex Libman".  Besides, I am not an AMP, and this is not the Hijack Free Zone, and even there I've never deleted a post without good cause and a prior warning.

It's a forum bug (or the mods are playing tricks)...  The following two posts don't appear in the regular thread view, but they appear in the Topic Summary on the bottom of the reply page (which is how I'm quoting them):

There's a good reason why governments got their plebs addicted to tobacco by supplying it for free during WW1 and encouraging an "if you don't smoke you're a pussy" attitude - it is psychologically favorable to encouraging toughness and willingness to take risks.  This is precisely the reason governments of today want it phased out...  :roll:

Maybe this Slashdot story will finally inspire me to get my act together -- Nicotine Improves Brain Function In Schizophrenics --

Never heard that one before. I'll have to read the article when I get a chance. It sounds like it plays right into the fact nicotine reduces the chances of getting Alzheimers. Something to do with the active chemical and how it interacts with the brain.

The only thing harmful about nicotine is the way it is currently cured.  If this process could be changed I am sure there are sorts of beneficial properties of this natural plant.

If you see any other posts disappearing, please help me bring attention to this problem on the forum bug thread...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:04:09 PM by Alex Libman 2012 »

davann

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 02:50:23 PM »

I have no power to delete posts on this thread, because it is owned by an older incarnation of "Alex Libman".  Besides, I am not an AMP, and this is not the Hijack Free Zone, and even there I've never deleted a post without good cause and a prior warning.

It's a forum bug (or the mods are playing tricks)...  The following two posts don't appear in the regular thread view, but they appear in the Topic Summary on the bottom of the reply page (which is how I'm quoting them):

The only thing harmful about nicotine is the way it is currently cured.  If this process could be changed I am sure there are sorts of beneficial properties of this natural plant.

If you see any other posts disappearing, please help me bring attention to this problem on the forum bug thread...

I see. That explains it.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2009, 06:11:44 PM »

Smoking is actually a prophilaxis and a treatment for Parkinson's.

I never heard that before.  

I had heard that people who smoke have a lower incidence of Parkinsons than non-smokers.   But they are not sure if people who already have less of a genetic predisposition to Parkinsons have a higher genetic predisposition to become addicted to smoking.   So smoking might not be the reason that smokers have fewer cases of Parkinsons.   But if what you say it is a treatment then that could change the idea that smoking is actually more of a factor.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:18:46 PM by libertylover »

Riddler

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2009, 07:22:02 PM »

this is priceless:
[youtube=425,350]UyhvHB62ph8&feature=PlayList&p=CB53340977703BCC&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=26[/youtube]

Cowcidile

• Cruel Tyrant Cason
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2009, 12:12:55 AM »

Everyone used to smoke, even cartoon characters.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FqdTBDkUEEQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FqdTBDkUEEQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2009, 03:58:34 AM »

Didn't smoking help keep social security solvent by killing off people before they could collect retirement benefits?

One of the largest exports to China from the USA is Tobacco.  I think they actually encourage the population to smoke as a way limit the number of unproductive old people.   The Chinese government likes the taxes from tobacco and assistance with their over population problem.  :twisted:

timmysoboy

• Word
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2009, 05:50:31 AM »

Smoking will generally lead to earlier death than not smoking, so I'd say that it's not good for you.

Yeah, because life is a competition in which the goal is to live as long as possible. What's the prize for the winner?

Well that's just fucking depressing man

AND  what the fuck is an 'accessory organ'?  They make it sound like something that was just tossed in the mix, like 'fuck it, it's just a lounge'
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 05:55:57 AM by timmysoboy »

Steven from Colorado

• The Democratic Party didn't leave me: I left it.
    • View Profile
    • Me and My Big Mouth
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2009, 09:20:17 AM »

I had a liberal once tell me that no one enjoys tobacco products. Evil tobacco companies put additives in there that make you think you are enjoying it.

I asked the obvious question: assuming that's so, and I do not (especially in the case of cigars, which is how I indulge in tobacco consumption) what is the difference between actually enjoying something and being tricked into thinking that you are enjoying something?

miamiballoonguy

• Twisted Balloons For All Occasions
  • Have Balloons, Will Travel!
    • View Profile
    • The Miami Balloon Guy's Home Page
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2009, 09:36:05 AM »

I've read the article above a couple years back. There is a much healthier method to it all and this answer lies in home grown marijuana, but the problem with marijuana is that it doesn't help when you are trying to lose weight. It's hard to have the best of the two worlds.

That's not entirely accurate.
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

Cowcidile

• Cruel Tyrant Cason
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2009, 01:42:16 PM »

I guess that is why they call you blackie.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Smoking is Good for You

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 33 queries.