Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Smoking is Good for You
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoking is Good for You  (Read 12948 times)

Alex Libman

Smoking is Good for You
« on: September 27, 2008, 09:37:09 PM »

So I finally found the willpower to start (tobacco) smoking and keep at it.  I've tried before, but it's the first time I've smoked ~6 consecutive packs.  (Took me about two weeks.)  I feel great!  I'm eating less, I'm drinking less, I'm more focused, I'm sleeping better, and I'm spending more time outdoors!

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking is Good for You
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 12:16:49 AM »

I enjoy fine tobacco products, but I don't know if I would go so far as to say that they are good for you
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Alex Libman

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 08:22:01 AM »

Smokes take the edge off without making you fat or stupid.  Can anything beat that?

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 09:30:15 AM »

Smoking will generally lead to earlier death than not smoking, so I'd say that it's not good for you.

LordMarius

• The only Norwegian freemarketeer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 09:41:50 AM »

Smoking will generally lead to earlier death than not smoking, so I'd say that it's not good for you.

Yeah, because life is a competition in which the goal is to live as long as possible. What's the prize for the winner?

Alex Libman

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 09:44:22 AM »

I know exactly how I'm gonna die.  It involves a tank.

AntonLee

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 11:58:41 AM »

come talk to me in 3 weeks when you have that first good hack.

come talk to me in a few weeks when your money is depleted.  I quit smoking cigarettes and thus saved myself over $700 so far.  I don't hack up shit anymore in the morning, I don't have a compulsive need to go outside anymore, in my underwear, in the snow, just to smoke a butt.

All around, one of the best decisions I've ever made.  In fact, sometimes loosening the grip of drugs and alcohol makes one feel stronger as a person.  I've quit two things that many people have such a hard time quitting.  I quit them after a struggle of my own, and now that I have it makes me feel as if there's another thing that won't hold me back in emergencies. 

Back in the day, I would sit with a nice bottle of sambuca and some marlboros and wonder what pain I would go through if there were no more alcohol or cigarettes one day.  If our country went to war, and I had to make a choice between food for my children and alcohol and cigarettes. . . what would I choose and if I chose correctly (food for my children) what amount of angst I would go through to survive in that situation.

Now we can all eat, and I don't have to worry about having anything.

Now I'm deleting sugars from my life, as much as I love two spoonfuls in my decaf coffee.  It's a progression.  If I can train myself to eat carrots and exercise as my new 'highs' then I'll be perfect as far as I can wish for myself. 

Riddler

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 02:07:24 PM »

come talk to me in 3 weeks when you have that first good hack.

come talk to me in a few weeks when your money is depleted.  I quit smoking cigarettes and thus saved myself over $700 so far.  I don't hack up shit anymore in the morning, I don't have a compulsive need to go outside anymore, in my underwear, in the snow, just to smoke a butt.

All around, one of the best decisions I've ever made.  In fact, sometimes loosening the grip of drugs and alcohol makes one feel stronger as a person.  I've quit two things that many people have such a hard time quitting.  I quit them after a struggle of my own, and now that I have it makes me feel as if there's another thing that won't hold me back in emergencies. 

Back in the day, I would sit with a nice bottle of sambuca and some marlboros and wonder what pain I would go through if there were no more alcohol or cigarettes one day.  If our country went to war, and I had to make a choice between food for my children and alcohol and cigarettes. . . what would I choose and if I chose correctly (food for my children) what amount of angst I would go through to survive in that situation.

Now we can all eat, and I don't have to worry about having anything.

Now I'm deleting sugars from my life, as much as I love two spoonfuls in my decaf coffee.  It's a progression.  If I can train myself to eat carrots and exercise as my new 'highs' then I'll be perfect as far as I can wish for myself. 

quitter

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 03:01:24 PM »

Yeah, because life is a competition in which the goal is to live as long as possible. What's the prize for the winner?

It lessens your control over the length of your life.  You can live longer as a healthy individual.  If you want to kill yourself early then it really doesn't matter.  I doubt most people have that goal, though.  I don't want to spend the last half of my life with shitty lungs, a shitty voice (I sing), or heart disease.  There is plenty of enjoyment I expect to get out of life past the age of 50.

dlayphoto

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 03:32:37 PM »

So I finally found the willpower to start (tobacco) smoking and keep at it.  I've tried before, but it's the first time I've smoked ~6 consecutive packs.  (Took me about two weeks.)  I feel great!  I'm eating less, I'm drinking less, I'm more focused, I'm sleeping better, and I'm spending more time outdoors!

Pics or it didn't happen.

Riddler

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 03:34:48 PM »

I love to smoke. I smoke seven thousand packs a day, ok. And I am never fucking quitting! ...........................
Know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna get one of those tracheotomies. So I can smoke two cigarettes at the same time. I'm gonna get nine tracheotomies all the way around my neck. I'll be Tracheotomie Man! "He can smoke a pack at a time! He's Tracheotomie Man!"

I'm looking forward to cancer, man. I want that throat cancer. That's the best kind. You know why? You get that throat cancer, you get that voice box thing. Know what I'm talking about?

I can remember a time in this country when men were proud to get cancer, God dammit! When it was a sign of manhood! John Wayne had cancer twice. Second time, they took out one of his lungs. He said, "Take 'em both, doc, Cuz I don't fuckin' need 'em! I'll grow gills and breathe like a fish!"

Babe Ruth, greatest baseball player to ever play the game. He had a voice box. He was the first American to have a voice box. Yeah! "[VB] This is Babe Ruth, the Sultan of Swat, the Bambino, I smoke twenty-five God damn cuban cigars a day. I had meat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I fucked eighteen prostitutes a night! 'course, I'm dead now. I'm up here in heaven. Lou Gehrig is up here with me. God love Lou Gehrig. Jesus Christ, poor Lou Gehrig. Died of Lou Gehrig's disease. How the hell did he not see that coming? You know. We used to tell him, Lou, there's a disease with your name all over it, pal! There ain't no Babe Ruth disease, I'll tell you that much right now. Have a hot dog and a Hummer. Go ahead, it's on me."

Because we tried to be nice to you non-smokers. We fucking tried. Okay? You wanted your own sections in the restaurants. We gave you that, huh. But that wasn't enough for you. Then you wanted the airplanes. We gave you the whole God damn plane! You happy now? You own the fucking plane! I'd like an explanation about that one folks because I will guarantee you if the plane is going down, the first announcement you're gonna hear is, "Folks, this is your Captain speaking. Look, uhm, light 'em up, 'cause we're going down, okay. I got a carton of Camels non-filters, I'll see you on the ground. Take it easy."

Yeah, we tried to be nice to you non-smokers. We tried. But you just fucking badger us, you know? You won't leave us alone! You got all your little speeches you're always giving to us. "Well you know. Smoking takes ten years off your life." Well it's the ten worst years, isn't it folks? It's the ones at the end! It's the wheelchair kidney dialysis fucking years. You can have those years!
Because you're always telling us, "You know, every cigarette takes six minutes off your life. If you quit now you can live an extra ten years. If you quit now, you can live an extra twenty years." Hey, I got two words for you, ok. Jim Fix. Remember Jim Fix? The big famous jogging guy? Jogged fifteen miles a day. Did a jogging book. Did a jogging video. Dropped out of a heart attack when? When he was fucking jogging, that's when! What do you wanna bet it was two smokers who found the body the next morning and went, "Hey! That's Jim Fix, isn't it?" "Wow, what a fucking tragedy. Come on, lets go buy some butts."

It's always the yogurt sprout eating mother fuckers who get run over buy a bus drive by a guy who smokes three and a half packs a day. "Sorry officer, I didn't see him. I was too busy smoking

-Denis Leary

Alex Libman

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 03:45:45 PM »

From the Conspiracy Central blog -- Smoking is good for you? --

Why do governments want to ban smoking? I mean, it’s not as if they actually care about their citizens' health. If so, they would spend more on healing than killing. But, more to the point, they would address the far more personally and socially destructive effects of alcohol and refined sugar, (which of course, are one and the same) evidenced by alcohol fueled late night violence and sex between drunken obese teenagers (and beyond), who cram casualty departments and make our city centers no-go areas until the sun comes up. Yet, regardless of this epidemic, because the sugar / alcohol multinationals' influence is so powerful, health is a minor distraction - however, tobacco companies carry the same political influence, so this is not the reason. In addition, governments make billions annually from smoking: taxes, needless to say, but also in terms of unneeded pensions and the extraordinary savings in health care which escalate dramatically in old age.

Given this perspective, is it not strange that whilst not exactly pushing it, (they would not want to appear heartless now, would they?) governments do not offer smoking the same tacit approval they give to alcohol, junk food and gambling - all of which are many times more socially destructive?

So why do they hate smoking so much?

It was a question that had tumbled around in my head for months. The best I could come up with, was that they wanted to use the fields for a more lucrative crop. But what, barring illicit drugs, could generate such revenue? (Particularly with Heroin production back up to pre Taliban levels.) It just did not make sense.

Then, by chance i happened upon ‘Political Ponerology’ by Andrew Lobaczewski, which considers how wicked, power hungry people gradually take control over society. And he points out, that the last organized attempt to stifle smoking on the scale now under way in Europe and the United States was in pre-war Germany, under the Nazis. (P.156)

You see, what Nazi scientists discovered very soon into their research, was that carbon-monoxide, a central component of tobacco smoke, creates resistance to pathocratic influence: i.e. imbibers are more likely to question and less likely to blindly follow orders from psychopathic leadership (perhaps we could think of it as ‘attitude’, as symbolised by ’50s icons like James Dean and Marlon Brando). What is more, research also suggests ’second-hand smoke’, as breathed by children of smokers, may in fact immunise them against the influence of psychopaths. Hardly useful, one would suggest, if the objective is filling heads with supremacist beliefs and obtaining undivided loyalty.

To Nazi leadership, with their early, unsophisticated attempts at propaganda, reducing peoples' critical thinking and increasing their susceptibility to messages of hate and fear and identification were central to their objective. So while the government made supply of tobacco increasingly difficult, and smoking areas increasingly limited, the Nazi propaganda machine set about pushing the party line, vilifying and condemning "red-man's weed" and persecuting those who would smoke it. It was a campaign begun in the mid 1930s and continued and intensified until they were finally overthrown.  (The anti-tobacco campaign of the Nazis)

Today, when one considers the enormous advances in psychological warfare, be it for product sales, national / religious / corporate identity or fear of the other, and the increasingly sophisticated delivery techniques, the need for smoking to be eradicated becomes blazingly obvious. What government or corporation (or religion) in their right mind, whose primary goals are submission and association, cannot see the benefit of losing a few million in taxes, pensions, operations… for the benefit of a compliant, malleable ready made workforce, and market. From such a perspective, considering our current political and corporate leadership, it is clear, smoking never stood a chance.

What a good job we have a free and independent news media to stand up for the citizen, expose authoritarian lies and ensure governments and corporations cannot cynically manipulate and frighten people into servicing their nefarious goals… oh, err… looks like we’re in big trouble.

Better get puffing guys!

Russell Griswold

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 03:59:12 PM »

I've read the article above a couple years back. There is a much healthier method to it all and this answer lies in home grown marijuana, but the problem with marijuana is that it doesn't help when you are trying to lose weight. It's hard to have the best of the two worlds.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 07:22:39 PM »

They get to die in a less predictable fashion.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 07:24:43 PM by MacFall »
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

TommyPaine

• Tu Ne Cede Malis Sed Contra Audentior Ito
    • View Profile
    • Hooplah!
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 07:45:52 PM »

I'm sticking to my pipe.  That way perhaps in 30 to 40 years, me being young and very much in shape, I can get a nice mouth cancerand they'll have to cut away part of my cheek.  I'll request clear plastic covering so i'll look like TwoFace from The Dark Knight and then i'll where the Phantom of the opera half face mask all the time, get a good rep going in my area that way people will point me out and say "Don't fuck with him, he'll haunt your opera house."

That aside, it is a wonderful experience to light up my pipe from time to time, Not at all something I could do everyday though. 
Take a stab at it, I'm sure it'll bleed for you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Smoking is Good for You

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 33 queries.