Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Smartphones
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartphones  (Read 28367 times)

error

• AMP Call-In Line Provider
  • FTL Crew
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • View Profile
    • Department of Homeland Stupidity
Re: Smartphones
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2010, 02:37:48 PM »

The Evo is nice; its only problem is being on Sprint. :)

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2010, 02:56:58 PM »

I have no problems with Sprint.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2010, 05:03:02 PM »

I never had a problem with Sprint, either.  I had them for two years, and they never managed to trigger my rage disorder. 

The Evo is cool, another HTC Droid.  You'll love it. 

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2010, 09:10:52 AM »

I don't spend that kind of money on my personal phone. I'm using a beat-up old razor (on the rare occasion I use my personal phone). The Sprint is my company's provider and is a pretty good deal, except that I get almost zero reception at my office. No kidding. I maintain the company BES server and I sometimes have to drive to a nearby shopping mall and park to get a device activated.

The EVO shipped yesterday so I hope to have it early next week.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

Bill Brasky

« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2010, 05:23:17 PM »

I don't spend that kind of money on my personal phone. I'm using a beat-up old razor (on the rare occasion I use my personal phone). The Sprint is my company's provider and is a pretty good deal, except that I get almost zero reception at my office. No kidding. I maintain the company BES server and I sometimes have to drive to a nearby shopping mall and park to get a device activated.

The EVO shipped yesterday so I hope to have it early next week.

I occasionally had dead spots, too.  But they were usually rural, or in a basement bar where I used to hang.  It was like a bunker, so nobody got good cell in there. 

In other news, HHGrregg is now sold out of the Motorola Droid X, since I went to indulge myself.  Of course. 

Bill Brasky

« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2010, 10:01:04 PM »

Update #946 on my epic saga to bring myself and me girlys into the 21st century --

A few weeks ago I got my youngest the HTC Incredible, as mentioned a few posts back.  The thing takes no prisoners, it spits fire and eats the heads off babies.  Its fuckin awesome. 

Last week, I decided to spring for my other girl to get a Moto Droid 2, which by all accounts is equally seizure inducing.  She loves it, its a VERY solid, cool phone.  Heres a picture of the Moto Droid 2 in its snug little eco-friendly box...  This model has the slide-out keyboard - it is not a tiny device - I have fairly large hands. 

Now...  heres where it gets confusing.  Samsung just quietly launched the Fascinate, which is a slate style device, akin to the Incredible, and very similar in design to the iPhone i4, running the 1GHz Hummingbird processor.  Its a Vz model of the Samsung i9000 Galaxy. 

What has me intrigued is this model is running, essentially, iPhone guts, with Android OS.  I'm not sure if I want to shit or go blind. 

In any case, Vz is now running a special where you buy one and get a equal or lesser valued Droid (of your choice), which I think I may do.  I can return my kids Droid 2, buy the Fascinate, then get the D2 for free - and return it to her, no harm done.  Keep the same number and everything.

The guy at the Vz store is being accommodating, he's cool.  Do I really want to go in there and make him do all this hocus-pocus?  I'm within my rights and all, with the grace periods of return.  And its a free goddamn face-ripping iPhone killer.

Did I mention the free part?

The only thing I don't like about it is, Bing is the default search engine, which means it will probably utilize microsoft in the GPS functions, which is totally fucked up for Android OS.  Since I'm a retard when it comes to anything hack-related, I could regret the Microsoft architecture inside the functionality of the apps.  I just know that would be a constant source of frustration for me, everything constantly wanting to default to non-Google stuff inside of fucking Android.

I love Google, despite all the nutters here splashing hate all over them.  Its almost enough to make me want to spend the cash and just buy the goddamn uncompromised Android OS in a Droid X, and be done with it.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #96 on: September 09, 2010, 10:32:20 PM »

Pshhhhh.......

None of your EVO's or Droid Incredibles are really very smart compared to MY phone.

I can:

* use it to break my car window if I lock they keys inside.

* disable a mugger with two good "thump thumps" on the head.

* cook an egg in 20 minutes just by putting the phone 2 ft away.

* hold down the tarp of my boat on a windy day

* crack walnuts with it

* and so much more than I can list here

Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2010, 10:34:40 PM »

1. sprint is awesome
2. Smartphones are improving at an incredible pace
3. If its for your net gain, why not do the "hocus pocus", especially since the exchange is 100% voluntary by both parties.

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2010, 11:10:54 PM »

3. If its for your net gain, why not do the "hocus pocus", especially since the exchange is 100% voluntary by both parties.

Thats my shakedown.

The dude at the store is okay with it.  He doesn't give a fuck, not like he's gonna rah-rah for the company.  I just don't want to get him in any hot water, since he got a commission for the sale.  I entered into that agreement willingly, too.  And I have time to escape it.  Thats their policy.

I took the time to actually call the dude.  Not the Vz fuckline, the actual dude.  Bernie, who works at a certain location.  He was like, "go for it dude,"

So maybe I will.  

Now my larger concern is, the Samsung device.  I hate that it runs Bing as its default browser.  The phone is a fucking Droid.  The phone was just released today, and the webz are all abuzz with the Bing thing.  

I'm really, really thinking I don't want the device if it has all sorts of Microsoft technology shoved up the ass of its Android OS.

I'm starting to think I may prefer the Moto X.

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »

Thats my shakedown.

The dude at the store is okay with it.  He doesn't give a fuck, not like he's gonna rah-rah for the company.  I just don't want to get him in any hot water, since he got a commission for the sale.  I entered into that agreement willingly, too.  And I have time to escape it.  Thats their policy.

I took the time to actually call the dude.  Not the Vz fuckline, the actual dude.  Bernie, who works at a certain location.  He was like, "go for it dude,"

So maybe I will.  

Now my larger concern is, the Samsung device.  I hate that it runs Bing as its default browser.  The phone is a fucking Droid.  The phone was just released today, and the webz are all abuzz with the Bing thing.  

I'm really, really thinking I don't want the device if it has all sorts of Microsoft technology shoved up the ass of its Android OS.

I'm starting to think I may prefer the Moto X.
Not sure if its the same thing, but I have bing browser on my Zune and it works wonderfully. Is there any other MS software on the thing?
Personally, I'm looking forward to Windows Phone 7, but then I'm not nearly as "open-source" ftw as most of you guys.

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2010, 11:33:50 PM »

So I've had my EVO for a couple of weeks. I love it. I have all sorts of cool apps. My young-un loves the whoopie cushion app as much as my wife dislikes it. However I put the babel fish translator app for Spanish, and it thoroughly rocks. The flashlight is handy too. It made me laugh because I always use the screen on my smart devices to see in my car in the dark.

The downsize is the ultra-crappy battery life. I pretty much have to have the thing plugged in whenever I am at rest. I left the house at 7am yesterday and flew to Las Vegas. By 3:30pm the thing was ready to cut out on me. I don't use it non-stop, but I make calls throughout the day and get my email, and take pictures a bunch. I love the phone, but keep the charger handy.

I expect the battery will be ruined by all of the partial charging.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

BonerJoe

« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2010, 11:59:34 PM »

Well, you basically use up "talk time" power when your phone is on, grabbing stuff from the internet. My Samsung moment goes for about 2 days, as long as no internet apps are open.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2010, 10:35:32 PM »

Update 2 billion and six.

Bernie, who works at a certain location.  He was like, "go for it dude,"

I called Bernie last night at the VZ thing.  As mentioned.  

Kinda thunk nothing of it, we chatted a bit and I said the new BOGO offer was dope.   Hung up.

Today he calls me, says "we're gonna give you a Samsung."  

I was like "really".

So I go up there, him and his boss are there.  manager, whatever.  He's like yeah, we can just fuck around with the barcodes, you bought one the other day.  Come back Tuesday.  I'll give you one on the BOGO.  

So I'll go back Tuesday, I guess.  See if they give me a free Droid.  

That'll be cool lulz.  That Samsung one.  They just gonna... give me one.  I guess.  

Verizon appears to thrive on the dispensation of really wicked shit.  They're just giving it away.  Thats so fucked up to me. I can't wrap my fuckin brain around it.  

Here, have this brand new fucking top shelf device.  For nuthin.  

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2010, 10:38:56 PM »

Kinda thunk nothing of it, we chatted a bit and I said the new BOGO offer was dope.   Hung up.

I was like "really".

So I go up there, him and his boss are there.  manager, whatever.  He's like yeah, we can just fuck around with the barcodes, you bought one the other day.  Come back Tuesday.  I'll give you one on the BOGO.  

That'll be cool lulz.  That Samsung one.  They just gonna... give me one.  I guess.  

Verizon appears to thrive on the dispensation of really wicked shit.  They're just giving it away.  Thats so fucked up to me. I can't wrap my fuckin brain around it.  

nothin...except 2+ years of your life...

Bill Brasky

« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2010, 01:36:16 AM »

I was like "really".

nothin...except 2+ years of your life...

Oh, bother.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Smartphones

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.