Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Smartphones
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartphones  (Read 28184 times)

saitoh

• "She's stealing sex off me!"
    • View Profile
Re: Smartphones
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2009, 08:29:02 PM »

It depends on what you want in a phone, and the foyrm factor you like.

http://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3

Fill out the things you want in a phone and it'll bring everthing up.

I'd recomment a Symbian S60 based phone, as that, having tried them all, is the best mobile OS IMO. Also, the new Nokia phones which are S60 based have amazing hardware and are relatively cheap. I've got a Noke E52, and it runs circles around any blackberry/iphone/winMo phone. Also it's got the most software available. I have bittorrent, youtube, gps and anything you can think of.

The only reason to get a blackberry would be for their chatting service, but I think that just locks you into using them for life when you can get the same IM capabilities for free through google/aim/msn on other phones. So it's pretty stupid, but a lot of people are idiots and have bought into it, making their userbase pretty large.
"Just keep nodding and smiling. Nodding & smiling like Colonel Gadahfi's psychoanalyst."

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2009, 10:58:40 PM »

I'd love to get an Iphone, but don't want to shell out $30/month on a data plan. For that reason, I've got an ipod touch that does everything the iphone does, except make calls. So long as I've got a Wi-Fi connection, I'm good. I have just a cheapie phone for actual calls, which I hardly ever use. But, the touch is great for web-surfing, and has something like 50,000 apps (though half of them seem to be for fake farts).
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2009, 12:25:38 AM »

I'd love to get an Iphone, but don't want to shell out $30/month on a data plan. For that reason, I've got an ipod touch that does everything the iphone does, except make calls. So long as I've got a Wi-Fi connection, I'm good. I have just a cheapie phone for actual calls, which I hardly ever use. But, the touch is great for web-surfing, and has something like 50,000 apps (though half of them seem to be for fake farts).

I really like the iPod touch, but I'm waiting until it holds more than 32MB to even bother.  That, and I keep talking myself out of spending the money. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Bill Brasky

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2009, 12:59:14 AM »

Fuck that shit.

When I feel that weird tingle of lust for a "thing" I ask myself if I will still be enamored in a year.  That usually puts things into a more reasonable view, then I can get down to brass tacks.  Quality, usability, replacement of said item.  (not even mentioning I hate Apple here)

I don't like a big smeary screen that hangs up when it touches my face.  Apps don't really matter to me much, most phones have apps now that I would find suitable.   

I'd have to shop it around, theres lots of cool shit out there - and the iDesign doesn't make me hard.  iTunes can go fuck itself.  Theres no love there, so the craze just astounds me.  If someone said "I got you a new killer phone!!" I'd be totally bummed if it turned out to be an iPhone.  Not even kidding, I wouldn't want that fucker for free. 

I can appreciate the touch thing, its cool flicking around in the screens.  I'd get bored with that in a few days. 

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2009, 02:20:38 AM »

iPhones are gimmicky. I have a year to go on my plan and won't be renewing it.. then I can just use it like the iTouch (I guess).
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

BonerJoe

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2009, 02:27:06 AM »

LOL, my face grease would make iPhone use an ass pain.

Karrde188

• T.S.A. Jorge the Jedi
  • The Right is wrong & the Left is stupid
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2009, 09:32:35 AM »

I'm thinking of getting the new Samsung moment. Its basically Samsung's version on the new Droid phone by Motorola. Yes, both have Android, which is awesome IMO. Plus, it has a 800MHz processor.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/10/26/samsung-moment-review/

saitoh

• "She's stealing sex off me!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2009, 07:10:49 PM »

The thing about looking at mobile processors is that numbers don't tel you anything.

Most smart phones that came out in the last 2 years use arm ARM 11 based phones.

The new chips by arm released this year by ARM are called the cortex series, and they are 2-3 x faster than an arm 11 chip, mhz for mhz.

The iphone 3gs has a cortex A8 processor.

After looking into the state of the industry now, it seems like arm will be releasing their cortex A9 chip right now to manufacturers, so products will be out by Feb I would say. The A9 is a 2ghz dual core chip that uses the same/less battery than the ARM 11. Thats like a nitro-rocket on your phone and very different than the low speed/cost processors ARM usually offers.

Apparently apple wants it or it's new iphone, so if you wanna buy an iphone, hold out till they use this chip. Though I wouldn't recommend it.

Remember this is NOT an x86 based processor, it's a RISC based one, so windows won't work on it, but linux, android, symbian will.
"Just keep nodding and smiling. Nodding & smiling like Colonel Gadahfi's psychoanalyst."

Bill Brasky

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2010, 02:41:06 AM »

My contract is almost up.  I think I'm gonna get a HTC Droid Incredible on Verizon. 

[youtube=640,385]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tuRDAaG9quQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tuRDAaG9quQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

blackie

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 01:07:56 PM »

I still haven't decided what to get.

I liked the Driod, but plans I looked at are expensive. I need to start looking around at plans again.

It looks like HP is trying to get into the business.  HP is going to acquire Palm.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/04/29/cnet.hp.palm/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2010, 01:15:09 PM »

I liked the Driod, but plans I looked at are expensive. I need to start looking around at plans again.

It looks like HP is trying to get into the business.  HP is going to acquire Palm.

Then they should meet head on at the door, because it looks like Palm will be going OUT of business.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 04:14:12 PM »

I dropped my Verizon, and now go with a Tracfone, plus an Ipod Touch. The phone, one of those pay-as-you-go plans, gets as good service as I ever got with Verizon, at a fraction of the cost. But then, I'm not on the phone all the time, like some people.

For web-surfing, the Touch does just fine, although it requires Wi-Fi. The advantage is not having to pay a ridiculous amount in data fees and air time.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Bill Brasky

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 04:44:19 PM »

I dropped my Verizon, and now go with a Tracfone, plus an Ipod Touch. The phone, one of those pay-as-you-go plans, gets as good service as I ever got with Verizon, at a fraction of the cost. But then, I'm not on the phone all the time, like some people.

For web-surfing, the Touch does just fine, although it requires Wi-Fi. The advantage is not having to pay a ridiculous amount in data fees and air time.

Well, it all depends what you intend to do with it.  I'm happy with my Sprint plan, as far as phone calls go.  But I want mobile web browsing, fast processor, mp3 player, camera, GPS, PDA, mobile interface with my trading platform, data storage, and a few other things.  All in one.  I don't really care much about the phone calls very much.  These things aren't really phones any more.  Phone is just one of several things they do. 

A good camera is $200 - I already have one.  A good MP3 player is $100+, and I use one often.  A GPS is over $200, I would like one.  A good PDA is well over $200, I would like one.  Mobile internet, it all depends, but you need to be in a wi-fi hotspot - unless you're on a data plan.  So all the stuff separately is probably a thousand bucks, and have to carry around a mini laptop.  I'll take the smart phone.  Plus, recharging a Tracphone with payments sucks.  I did it for several years for my mom and I hated it. 

You really can't find a bargain data plan.  I tried a little than I gave up.  You can get a bare-bones plan with a data limit for about $70 a month, I think.  Which is your basic $50 you'd pay for a cell (after all the add-on tax bullshit) plus $20 for the data.  Thats not really too bad.  Most carriers are in the same price range. 

I'm probably gonna merge everyone in my family into one big ultra-super-duper everything plan.  It'll probably come to about $200 a month.  Which is approximately what I pay for my kids plan, plus the Sprint plan I have for myself (which I added my mom onto last year so I can avoid that Tracphone horseshit).  So everything comes to about $200 anyway. 

Bill Brasky

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2010, 04:52:27 PM »

Then they should meet head on at the door, because it looks like Palm will be going OUT of business.

HP is acquiring Palm for $1.2bn because they already have an existing mobile platform and all the necessary in-roads in development.  They're buying the browser, basically.  Palm is pretty well regarded in the tech aspect, they just made some shitty business decisions and suffered badly in the shadow of the iPhone, which isn't really all that buzzworthy anymore. 

I think HP would make a pretty decent phone or tablet, I like their products.   

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2010, 05:15:37 PM »

HP is acquiring Palm for $1.2bn because they already have an existing mobile platform and all the necessary in-roads in development.  They're buying the browser, basically.  Palm is pretty well regarded in the tech aspect, they just made some shitty business decisions and suffered badly in the shadow of the iPhone, which isn't really all that buzzworthy anymore. 

I think HP would make a pretty decent phone or tablet, I like their products.   
I agree on all counts of that assessment.  My dad has been using Palm smart phones since they came out.  He didn't want to leave the Palm atmosphere until this month because it looks like Palm is behind the competitors due to bad business decisions.  He just got one of the Droid phones to replace his dated Treo.  I've always liked HP products too, so I'm sure they'll be able to turn Palm around and get them back on top.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Smartphones

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 32 queries.