Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Smartphones
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartphones  (Read 28182 times)

blackie

Smartphones
« on: July 24, 2009, 01:15:55 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone
A smartphone is a mobile phone offering advanced capabilities, often with PC-like functionality (PC-mobile handset convergence). There is no industry standard definition of a smartphone.[1][2] For some, a smartphone is a phone that runs complete operating system software providing a standardized interface and platform for application developers.[3] For others, a smartphone is simply a phone with advanced features like e-mail, Internet and e-book reader capabilities, and/or a built-in full keyboard or external USB keyboard and VGA connector. In other words, it is a miniature computer that has phone capability.[4][5]

What's good, what's bad...and why?

BonerJoe

Re: Smartphones
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 03:24:16 PM »

The only thing I don't like about my Treo 700wx is that it can't render most webpages for shit.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 03:56:14 PM »

I have an E71 from Nokia. The internet is good in a pinch but any serious browsing makes it collapse. It can handle email, but cant load Free Talk Live.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Russell Griswold

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 07:09:01 PM »

BlackBerries are really cheaply made. This shit looks like it was assembled with superglue.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 07:57:13 PM »

They're interesting beasts.  Mr. Lindsey and I both have Blackberries, and we were having a conversation the other night about how they seem to be falling apart already.  I've had mine about a year, and he's had his a little less. 

The only thing I don't like about mine is that I have AT&T, and the speeds are a little slow on it since I'm not on 3G or WiFi.  I use Opera's mobile browser if I want something more than a basic HTML layout when surfing the tubez.  It seems to work pretty well. 

I never thought I'd need a "smartphone", but now that I have one I can't imagine being without it.  I can pretty much keep myself entertained anywhere with it by surfing the web, messaging friends, or even listening to music on it - so if I'm waiting in my doctor's office, at the airport, bored at work, etc. I've got something to do. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

blackie

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 10:55:41 PM »

It's weird that RIM stuff isn't well made.

I wouldn't want to use it as for a phone very much, that is why being able to do other stuff with it is important to me.

I'm still not sure how I feel touch screen or how important a keyboard is.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 11:09:10 PM »

I wouldn't want to use it as for a phone very much, that is why being able to do other stuff with it is important to me.

I have the Blackberry Curve, with the full QWERTY keyboard, and trust me...it's nice.  Mr. Lindsey has the Blackberry Pearl, and it's got two or three letters to a key - I don't even know.  And it's a bitch to use.  Especially since you say you want to use it for other things, rather than primarily phone use.  I hate the phone too, so I can identify with you there. 

Mainly the issues with mine are not the fault of the phone.  I've been rougher with this one than I think I have with other phones in the past, and I have definitely learned from my errors in judgement.  I have a belt clip-type holster on mine, and there's an almost rubberized strip of material at the top of the phone where the holster clips in...and the holster has peeled a bunch of it off.  And then in my nervous fidgeting while I'm bored, I peeled more off.  My screen also has some pretty deep scratches in it, but that's because I accidentally set it in front of the cash drawer at work and when I had cash sales it would get knocked to the ground with some good force. 

Basically, with my next one, and the advice I would give anyone else - is to get a screen protector for it, and buy a better holster type thing if you're going to use one.  I like it because I can clip it to my purse, or clip it to my belt when I'm walking around and listening to music or talking on it.  The holster I got was a gift (I picked it out though) and was pretty cheap on Amazon.  My friend got it for me for Christmas as a stocking stuffer.  If you're not a clip person, those rubberized "skins" you see people use for their Blackberry phones and iPhones...use them.  They work. 

As far as things that may be RIM's issue and not mine - the part around the screen seems to be showing signs of being glued to the whole...panel, for lack of a better term.  Either that or the plastic underneath is a different color and the finish is just rubbing off from use.  Also, my phone freezes A LOT.  As in, a few times a week - for no good reason.  It's very pesky. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

BonerJoe

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 11:15:30 PM »

Make it cheaper, the government has to buy more of them.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 11:18:48 PM »

I think Palm Pre is probably the way to go.

Lothar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 11:03:23 PM »

The newest iPhone, the 3GS, is very nice.  I have the 3G, & all complaints, except one (AT&T) were addressed with the latest system update.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 07:12:28 PM »

Having recently made the switch over to a full qwerty keyboard, I have to say its totally worth it.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Low-Eight

• The Emancipator
  • Aint no thang but a chicken wing!
    • View Profile
    • Emancipation!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 09:49:11 PM »

I've got the BB storm, and it's very well built, but the early software was buggy.   as soon as you get one, update the software, it's totally worth it
Feel free to add me to facebook, or contact me on MSN.

Frost

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 10:26:45 PM »

I have a Nokia N85. Tons of features and a really nice camera. Seems like people think its cheaply made in the reviews but it seems fine to me. Only complaint I have is that it cant handle recording video at the highest quality properly. It freezes for about a second every 5 seconds or so.

Frost

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 10:30:37 PM »

Pretty good for a camera phone.

JohnnyRebel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 12:35:02 AM »

I have a Blackjack... nothing outstanding about it but I do like the keyboard.  Nothing really "smart" about it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Smartphones

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.