Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Significance behind the name?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Significance behind the name?  (Read 47324 times)

Thespis

Re: Significance behind the name?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2006, 04:40:39 PM »

Yeah, plus they don't have genitals... at least the ones I've seen don't.

dudes, it is a puppet with a guys hand up its ass. 

If it has a hole, you can have sex with it.

mbd

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2006, 04:41:55 PM »

I'm glad we got that sorted out!

bignasty022

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2006, 05:00:54 PM »

One of my friends came up with it after playing basketball with me during intramurals

Thespis

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2006, 05:05:17 PM »

I'm glad we got that sorted out!

I do what I can.

Brisco County, Jr.

• Always looking for the coming thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2006, 06:09:58 PM »

Dionys Burger's Sphereland was cooler, IMO. Don't bother with Ian Stewart's Flatterland, it's Popular Science-type tripe.

What I do applaud is your TooL quote.
Learn to Swim! Learn to Swim!

Thanks for the heads up.  Never knew Flatland had a sequel.  I'll have to look into it.

Fuck L. Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.

Torgo

• Radio Monkey
    • View Profile
    • Torgo Is Jesus - The Blog
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2006, 07:05:14 PM »

Many years ago, a friend of mine worked for a computer repair company.  Whenever any sales person would call the company, whoever answered the phone would say, "sorry, you'll have to talk to Torgo about that."  Torgo was always conveniently out of town for at least two weeks.  I think his mother died 17 times.  :-P

Torgo was never given a last name, but as telemarketers began to share lists, calls started coming in specifically FOR Torgo...and he somehow developed a last name.  Over the course of time, calls came in for the following names:

Torgo
Torgo Martel
Torgo Marachi
Michael Torgo (or his wife Maria)
Turgo Movachi

About a year after all of that, I was playing in a Werewolf: The Apocalypse LARP (I'm a geek, fuck off)...and I needed to add some fun to my character.  So, I decided to go with "Torgo" as a name, and then change it up to one of the alternatives depending on who I was talking to.  He became my longest-lived Werewolf character and one that I ended up moving to a couple of different chronicles over time.

Then....I saw Manos: The Hands of Fate...and how can you NOT love Torgo?

With all that Torgo in my past, I don't really think I had any other choice when it was time to pick a stage name.  Torgo wins.  :-P

-Mikey T.
Last 5 Songs Played...

Evenstar

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2006, 07:23:03 PM »

When I created this nickname, it was a word used once in the Tolkien novels in relation to a character that only appeared once at a dinner.  "Arwen, also called Undomiel, for she was the Evenstar of her people."  (For what it's worth, I pronounce it Evan-star, not Even-star, because I prefer the way it sounds that way.)  I used it without any difficulties (with a few random recognitions) prior to the recent release of the Lord of the Rings movies.  Now I often have to fight for my nick in different places and just in the last week or so have come up with an alternate if it doesn't work... Vaesse.

Bonus points to anyone who can figure out why I picked my new name... hint, it IS tangetially related.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2006, 11:11:24 PM »

When I created this nickname, it was a word used once in the Tolkien novels in relation to a character that only appeared once at a dinner.  "Arwen, also called Undomiel, for she was the Evenstar of her people."  (For what it's worth, I pronounce it Evan-star, not Even-star, because I prefer the way it sounds that way.)  I used it without any difficulties (with a few random recognitions) prior to the recent release of the Lord of the Rings movies.  Now I often have to fight for my nick in different places and just in the last week or so have come up with an alternate if it doesn't work... Vaesse.

Bonus points to anyone who can figure out why I picked my new name... hint, it IS tangetially related.

Amazingly obscure - but then again, I don't have the eternal memory from the gods to aid me.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2006, 08:38:12 PM »

Fuck L. Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.

For the record, I've read Hubbard's Battlefield Earth series, and they're actually pretty cool. Kind of like Hitch-Hiker's guide or Red Dwarf, sci-fi humor. I'll never forget the chapter where the protagonist is being tortured by two lesbians with cheese graters and tobasco sauce. Quite the classic.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2006, 09:11:46 PM »

My name; just my name. (First, and part of the last.)

I got tired of other message boards with so many fake clones it was impossible to tell who was real and who was fake. I decided that from now on, I'd just post as myself, and never under any other name.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2006, 10:29:33 PM »

Yeah, I don't see the point of some crazy ass name to post under, I'm just me.  Although I can't help but wish I had a more interesting name, like Six, or Pillot Inspector.
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Frog

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2006, 11:44:33 PM »

I've been Frog for so long that I get little frog knicknacks on holidays and no-occasions, I have childrens drawings of frogs on the refrigerator, I get pictures of frogs sent to me in e-mail (my main e-mail address has been several incarnations of frogs).  It really began to stick about five years ago when my longest friends father began calling me Frog, out of the blue, even though he knew my name for a decade.  I guess thats how shit like that happens. 

Brisco County, Jr.

• Always looking for the coming thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2006, 11:52:42 PM »

I've been Frog for so long...

The question is, are you a hallucinogenic frog?

Frog

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2006, 12:20:00 AM »

Not any more

WhiskyRblnPatriot

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2006, 12:24:46 AM »

Look up/Google "Whiskey Rebellion of 1794".  In a related note: It is strongly connected with the Alternate History novel, and best novel of all time The Probabilty Broach by L. Neil Smith, in which the the people of Penn. successfully revolted, killed Washington for treason (hells yeah!) and threw out the Constitution. Booya!

The avatar?

Flag of the Whiskey Rebellion of '94.

I'm just a big ol' flaming Anarcho-Capitalist.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Significance behind the name?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 33 queries.