Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Side Effect of Poor Education.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Side Effect of Poor Education.  (Read 6999 times)

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
Side Effect of Poor Education.
« on: May 04, 2011, 09:51:23 AM »

I just realized a side effect of the state doing a shitty (good at indoctrination?) job of educating children. You hear a lot of percentages when people discuss education quality. 84% of American kids can't read. 9 of 10 can't point out Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan on a map, blah blah blah. While some children can't read and some kids don't know geography or math, there are some that can and are. Yet,  all Americans get treated as if they're equally stupid by most statists of all stripes, 'intellectuals', policy makers, and foreigners. This means that if I were looking for a job at an international firm and was competing with a Swiss guy, a Frenchman, and a Chinese immigrant, I would probably start the running dead last in consideration, all else equal.

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: Side Effect of Poor Education.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 09:59:03 AM »

|
                         |
                         |
                         |
<<<---------------
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:04:38 AM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Branlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 10:37:12 AM »

I just realized a side effect of the state doing a shitty (good at indoctrination?) job of educating children. You hear a lot of percentages when people discuss education quality. 84% of American kids can't read. 9 of 10 can't point out Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan on a map, blah blah blah. While some children can't read and some kids don't know geography or math, there are some that can and are. Yet,  all Americans get treated as if they're equally stupid by most statists of all stripes, 'intellectuals', policy makers, and foreigners. This means that if I were looking for a job at an international firm and was competing with a Swiss guy, a Frenchman, and a Chinese immigrant, I would probably start the running dead last in consideration, all else equal.

I think you're right, and for good reason.

In the past 20 or more years, kids coming out of government schools are for the most part pretty ignorant. This of course is not their fault, but it is what it is. Not only that, but we have a culture of laziness and dependence. Kids don't want to work because their parents have pampered them with materialism and money.

If I was in the position of hiring as you described it, I would also put an American kid last. This does NOT mean that there aren't good, devoted, smart, hardworking kids around, because I know some. But overall, it ain't what it used to be.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »

This is why we must evict all non-whites from the US, to make it FAIR again, so we can get our bloodlines strengthened again and be a great country again like we used to be in the good old days.

Come on pussies, you wanna keep yer jerbs? Better get with the program.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:50:27 AM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 05:13:14 PM »

Parents are to blame far more than public schools. And genetics too, which makes quickmike's post kinda true.

My son recently had his End of Grade tests done. He's in 4th grade and according to the tests he reads on a 10th grade level.

I'm a little skeptical of that score.. either something is really off on their scoring system, or someone from the same school system really failed all those 10th graders, or the system is doing something to tweak resulst to make it look like they're doing a super job. Dunno.. but I do know my son is really into reading and always has been. Might have something to do with his momma and I reading to him every night for the past 10 years too, and encouraging him to read whatever he wants on his own.

I've done the same thing with my daughter who is 4.. she's not reading on her own yet, but she's definitely interested. She knows all the letters & numbers up to 24 or so and lately has been making street signs out of popsicle sticks and construction paper. STOP signs always have the right letters but in the wrong spot.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 05:45:16 PM »

Parents are to blame far more than public schools. And genetics too, which makes quickmike's post kinda true.

My son recently had his End of Grade tests done. He's in 4th grade and according to the tests he reads on a 10th grade level.

I'm a little skeptical of that score.. either something is really off on their scoring system, or someone from the same school system really failed all those 10th graders, or the system is doing something to tweak resulst to make it look like they're doing a super job. Dunno.. but I do know my son is really into reading and always has been. Might have something to do with his momma and I reading to him every night for the past 10 years too, and encouraging him to read whatever he wants on his own.

I've done the same thing with my daughter who is 4.. she's not reading on her own yet, but she's definitely interested. She knows all the letters & numbers up to 24 or so and lately has been making street signs out of popsicle sticks and construction paper. STOP signs always have the right letters but in the wrong spot.

I think the genetical advantage is distinct in some individuals, but across a population, not so much. I mean, scores go up and down relative to other nations all the time.  Parents are partly to blame. Schools are shit because the same children that fail at a gov't school can excel in charter or private schools.
On a side note: are you teaching Look Say (My Baby Can Read) or Phonetics (Hooked on Phonics)?

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 06:03:52 PM »

HB I agree with you on most of what you're saying, but its definitely both the schools and the parents responsible.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 12:06:48 AM »

Parents were taught in the public schools, so really  you could blame just the public schools. Or blame it on rich dead guys who decided compulsory public funded schooling was a good idea so they could have more compliant  factory workers. Or blame it on the parents who frankly don't give a crap and leave the responsibility of teaching their children anything to complete strangers.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 12:09:19 AM »

On a side note: are you teaching Look Say (My Baby Can Read) or Phonetics (Hooked on Phonics)?

Nothin' so fancy as that. I just tell the kid to pick a book and climb up next to me. I use my finger to trail along with the words as I read them. Pretty soon my daughter should start asking which letters make which words, and then she'll be set.

Just found this image of our latest favorite book, "A Cowboy's Secret Life" :

..I probably wouldn't draw as well as I do without reading one of the books from this series when I was a kid. Love these books.

Admiral- I don't blame the teachers for slacking, in the later years that is. Elementary school teachers should be totally into it but by the time the kids are in middle school.. the brats either want to be there or they don't. Once the bastards hit high school, none of them want to be there except for the good students.

Middle & high are about the time bad parents will stop interacting with their kids (because many of those parents are too busy acting like kids that age themselves). At least during the early years the bad parents can simply stick their kids in front of Big Bird all day where they'll at least learn to count a little.

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 12:11:25 AM »

Parents were taught in the public schools, so really  you could blame just the public schools. Or blame it on rich dead guys who decided compulsory public funded schooling was a good idea so they could have more compliant  factory workers. Or blame it on the parents who frankly don't give a crap and leave the responsibility of teaching their children anything to complete strangers.

Yeah, but I'm bettin' most of us here went through public schools. And we all turned ou... wait.

blackie

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 07:48:06 AM »

Parents are to blame far more than public schools.
Yeah, cus the parents force their kids to go to public schools, so the parents should take the blame for sending their kids to public schools.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 10:37:16 PM »

Weak.

I "force" my son to go to avoid going to court with his mom since she doesn't want him to be home schooled. I'm not rolling in the dough so private school is out.

There's a limit to how effective this argument is, that "ya gotta do whatever you must to get yer kids outta public skoo!". Many working class people just don't have the means.

blackie

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 07:24:03 AM »

Let's play the blame game.

Weak.

I "force" my son to go to avoid going to court with his mom since she doesn't want him to be home schooled.
Like I said, blame the parents. His mother is a parent too, right?

I'm not rolling in the dough so private school is out.

There's a limit to how effective this argument is, that "ya gotta do whatever you must to get yer kids outta public skoo!". Many working class people just don't have the means.
Weak.

There is a limit to how effective your "don't have the means" argument is when you take vacations to Disney world.

I'm not rolling in dough, so vacations to Disney are out for me and my kids.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 08:45:15 AM by blackie »

BonerJoe

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 01:06:36 PM »

Brattzo. Brattzo. I like saying it.

James D.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 06:21:38 PM »

Weak.

I "force" my son to go to avoid going to court with his mom since she doesn't want him to be home schooled. I'm not rolling in the dough so private school is out.

Right, you choose public education over homeschooling. You choose to live where you live and what sacrifices you make financially..you are choosing to send your kids to public school.  It's very easy to applaud yourself for good parenting when your kid happens to not be one of the ones who gets the life squeezed out of him by public school, but there are plenty of parents who read to their kids every night who aren't so lucky.  Sending your child to public school is a huge decision, and yet it is viewed as a default by most people.  This is 15,000 hours of your child's life, and that's a considerable amount of formative time.  It is ABSOLUTELY a reflection on the parents to send their kid to public school, and certainly a reflection on their priorities.  Whether it's you not feeling like homeschooling, or not finding a private school to take him with financial aid, or whatever, it's still your choice.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Side Effect of Poor Education.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.