Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Show Us Yer Black Friday Deals
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Show Us Yer Black Friday Deals  (Read 6830 times)

latebloomer

• View Profile
Re: Show Us Yer Black Friday Deals
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 03:00:37 PM »

I dont have any Black Friday deal stories, because I always stay far away from crowds if possible. Instead, I wait till the January deals come around. I do have a story of one though that I kinda mentioned offhand in another thread.

My gf is from the Philippines and we were talking to one of her other flilipina friends about that stuff. Her friend pipes up "They had electric waffle-irons at Walmart in Peoria......2.99 a piece!!! I bought 10 of them!!" My gf asked what she was gonna do with 10 waffle irons. The woman said "I'll send them back home to the Philippines to friends and family I guess." My gf kinda chuckled and I had no idea why.

Later, as we were leaving.....

gf - I was laughing because they dont eat waffles in the philippines.

me - No, really? Cmon, surely some people eat waffles over there.

gf - NOOOO!! Nobody eats waffles in the philippines. I spent the first 24 years of my life there and NEVER saw a waffle.

me - LOL

People just get caught up in the frenzy. I refuse to leave the house that day. Besides the crowds, I learned that most of the things I might want are even cheaper on Saturday. There's nothing I want this badly:

Wafflie Iron "mini" Riot
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark." - Lord John Whorfin

BonerJoe

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 03:24:12 PM »

I had to go to Walmart to buy something Friday night. I forgot it was Black Friday. Everything was still crazy.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 05:31:23 PM »

It will probably cost $30 each to send them there.

Yeah, I asked the gf about that and apparently, they have these underground type shipping services that asian people use to ship stuff back home that are alot cheaper than UPS or USPS. Not really sure how it works, but they somehow get it put on ships through employee connections at the shipping docks. What happens beyond that, I have no idea.

Even still, it cant be a whole lot cheaper than 30 bucks even doing it that way.

Need a waffle iron? I can prob hook ya up.

My wife and her friends usually nag each other to put stuff in their luggage whenever they make the trip.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 05:44:09 PM »

My wife and her friends usually nag each other to put stuff in their luggage whenever they make the trip.

Oh yeah, they like to use that "service" too.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 06:16:42 PM »

I'm building a pink tacticool rifle for my girlfriend.  Got an awesome deal on a Ruger at a gun shop.  I'll post pics when it gets out of 10 day lock up and I get it all put together.  Gotta love having a job so you can afford to build cool toys for your loved ones (it's really for me! mahaha).
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bill Brasky

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 12:00:15 AM »

I think "Black Friday" is gonna become synonymous with lowlifes who have sporadic cash. 

*cough*  no comment *cough*

Can anybody guess the old-school term that used to apply to people who throw money around for no apparent reason?

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 01:52:53 AM »

Can anybody guess the old-school term that used to apply to people who throw money around for no apparent reason?

Spendthrift?
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 11:17:16 AM »

I think "Black Friday" is gonna become synonymous with lowlifes who have sporadic cash.  

*cough*  no comment *cough*

"Like a sailor on shore leave"  or, "spending money like its goin out of style"
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 01:48:43 PM by Fred »

Osborne

• Worshipful Grand Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 03:25:07 PM »

Got a bunch of Lego sets at Toys R Us today BOGO 50%. Was a good find since the little one and I are home alone for a few days.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 03:39:45 PM »

LEGOS Rock!  My son loved em.  I could never find them with much of a discount though.  Expensive usually!  Good find!

Bill Brasky

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 08:32:35 PM »

Lego's are good for stepping on in the dark.  Ninjas used to call 'em 'caltrops'. 

--

TV arrived in short order.  Picture is pretty good for a low budget screen.  The refresh rate isn't all that hot, but it should be good enough for gaming. 

(Haven't actually gamed on it yet, 'cause I ripped apart my command center and re-wired everything from scratch.  Not for the faint-of-heart.) 

I had octopus gardens that looked like they were itching to burst into flame. 

Bought one of those sideways handy-dandy does-everything tools, with the reciprocating head.  $80.  Skil.  Sucks.  Taking it back.  It shakes the attachments off it.  I can get one for $32 from AMZN through Harbor Freight, if it's gonna suck might as well be cheap about it - some things it's perfect for, so I'd like to have one.  Just not this one. 

BonerJoe

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 08:49:55 PM »

If you're seeing blurry pictures, turn off the 120hz option.

I don't know why people use it. It's just the TV interpolating frames to try and make things appear smoother, when in reality it just looks retarded.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 10:14:57 PM »

I'll have to check the settings, but I think it only runs at 60 hertz. 

Its not bad..   Its just not orgasmic.  Its a 720 at 32 inches, so the very small details look a little grainy.  Like the legal disclaimers in text during commercials, or when someone moves suddenly I can see a weird blockyness to it. 

Otherwise, it's pretty darn good.  I can see single strands of hair on peoples heads, if they have one errant hair, and stuff like that. 

There were some auto settings I didn't care for, like "warm" was too red.  Once I found the closest one, I tweaked it a bit, and now it looks relatively bitchin' for the price.

Also, I'm on standard cable, even though its "digital" it's still coming through an analog copper wire, so it's never gonna be performing at max - until I get it plugged into a HDMI wire. 

I would definitely recommend one of these for a spare room, or camping, or a garage, etc. 

They say it'll work as a computer monitor, but that's not something I'd use it for.  My LG monitor blows the doors off this, but it's only 21"

BonerJoe

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 10:19:57 PM »

TV pixels aren't square either. That would get annoying after awhile.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 10:29:38 PM »

TV pixels aren't square either. That would get annoying after awhile.

Ya, it can be.

I saw it the other day on my "downstairs" TV.  The Panasonic Viera 42 Plasma (which is also 720)

Some guy was wearing a black coat, and walked into the frame, and it was having trouble shading the blacks.  So, it was kinda like a crossword puzzle, in the black parts.  Lighter squares and darker squares.

I try to rationalize it away by telling myself "If that's bugging you, you need a head-check", 'cause I remember not long ago being on rabbit ears with tube screens, all snowy and shit. 

Most times, it's sweet.  I'm not gonna get worked up about the 1%

I donno what that actually is?  Comb filter? 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Show Us Yer Black Friday Deals

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.