Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Should minarchists and anarchists unite?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Should minarchists and anarchists unite?  (Read 12225 times)

Pizzly

• View Profile
Should minarchists and anarchists unite?
« on: September 04, 2010, 11:37:24 PM »

I'm an anarchist. I find it very difficult siding with minarchists. Most issues, yes, but ultimately they feel a justification to agress against another. I get as much shit from minarchist libertarians as statists. I simply do not find it ethical to initiate force.  And philosophical differences matter a great deal when they are inconpatible, an anarchist cannot live free as long as there is some government, no matter how limited. My personal feeling is no: I cannot stand beside the minarchist because they have a gun pointed at me, no matter how small or figurative it is.

I'm wondering what some others opionons are, specifically minarchists.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 11:54:08 PM by Pizzly »
Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
Re: Should minarchists and anarchists unite?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 12:21:53 AM »

Instead of addressing your point, I will take something you said out of context for my own enjoyment.

You feel threatened when having "small guns" "pointed at" [yourself].
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 01:08:41 AM »

I think the problem is a minarchist has maybe 1 issue they want to use force for. Rather than work towards reaching freedom in all the other issues, they choose to spend their time fighting for the amount of force to be increased on that one issue. Thus they are less "Anarchists with exceptions" and more "Determined one-issue statists." So concentrated on the one issue that they ignore the rest.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

alaric89

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 06:39:44 AM »

I am a minarchist because experience has taught me that some administrative body is necessary for the protection of property rights with minimal violence. As long as a strict accountability is privately enforced it should work for now. A voluntariest society will not be possible til a generation of people are raised to not fear, but love responsibility and accountability. We don't have that right now.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 08:28:45 AM »

I don't care whether you ally with them or not, but I think people should stop calling them minarchists.  They believe in a minimal state.  They are mini-statists.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 08:36:53 AM »

Anarchists of the world, unite!
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Richard Garner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:13:34 AM »

I am a minarchist because experience has taught me that some administrative body is necessary for the protection of property rights with minimal violence.

As far as I know, anarchists seem to want this, too? They just think that this administartive body should not be a government: Peaceful people should not be forced to maintain it, through seizure of funds or labour, and it should not have a violent monopoly on providing this service within a given geographic area.

If you agree, then you are an anarchist, too.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 09:58:05 AM »

I don't care whether you ally with them or not, but I think people should stop calling them minarchists.  They believe in a minimal state.  They are mini-statists.

I think the term minarchist is fine, but anarchists should be referred to as morons.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 11:19:47 AM »

"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 12:36:14 PM »

I think the term minarchist is fine, but anarchists should be referred to as morons.

It's on our shirts.

Speaking of, will someone please come out with a line of reasonably-priced polos in decent colors with a circle A or a3 embroidered to match the shirts?  How the heck am I supposed to golf in a black polo?
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

Bill Brasky

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 02:48:23 PM »

It's on our shirts.

Speaking of, will someone please come out with a line of reasonably-priced polos in decent colors with a circle A or a3 embroidered to match the shirts?  How the heck am I supposed to golf in a black polo?

I've been using the yellow bodysuit from Kill Bill with black piping, a black motorcycle helmet, and a giant black A emblazoned on the back.  People seem to dig it. 

gibson042

• Non-Aggression Principal since 2006
    • View Profile
    • gibson.mp
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 03:04:51 PM »

That's uncharacteristically antagonistic of you.

How's the movie production going?
"WOOOOOP  WOOOOOP  WOOOOP EH EH EH EH HHHEEEOOOO HEEEOOOOO" —Rillion

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 04:24:18 PM »

They should most definitely work together. At this point, neither anarchists or minarchists have much of a foothold in the arena of ideas. Both are near the same end of the government spectrum. Look at it like a tug-o-war. We're both on the same side of the current conditions: big government. We both want it smaller, and should both pull together to bring it this way. The debate over little government or no government isn't nearly as immediate of an issue as the Progressive surge we're in the midst of.
Besides, the only reason I'm not anarchist is because I know that some type of government (voluntary or not) will always form. Whether its people explicitly banding together to form a "social contract" or one tribal leader exerting himself on others. I prefer protection of life, liberty, and property and voluntary interaction whenever possible (response to threats and violence grounds for involuntary interaction), and thus I support a minimal, voluntary government.

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

Pizzly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 05:41:51 PM »

They should most definitely work together. At this point, neither anarchists or minarchists have much of a foothold in the arena of ideas. Both are near the same end of the government spectrum. Look at it like a tug-o-war. We're both on the same side of the current conditions: big government. We both want it smaller, and should both pull together to bring it this way. The debate over little government or no government isn't nearly as immediate of an issue as the Progressive surge we're in the midst of.
Besides, the only reason I'm not anarchist is because I know that some type of government (voluntary or not) will always form. Whether its people explicitly banding together to form a "social contract" or one tribal leader exerting himself on others. I prefer protection of life, liberty, and property and voluntary interaction whenever possible (response to threats and violence grounds for involuntary interaction), and thus I support a minimal, voluntary government.

Just curious, but what do you mean by voluntary? The US Constitution isn't even remotely close to voluntary, not alot of people vote, and the social contract theory of "you can leave" is childish B.S. So what exactly do you mean by voluntary?
Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 07:05:24 PM »

Unite what?

Seriously, I think the answer is in the question.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Should minarchists and anarchists unite?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.