Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Should Alex Libman be unbanned?

Poll

Well?

No.
- 10 (35.7%)
Yes.
- 18 (64.3%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Should Alex Libman be unbanned?  (Read 12953 times)

BonerJoe

Should Alex Libman be unbanned?
« on: September 06, 2010, 10:45:17 PM »

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
Re: Should Alex Libman be unbanned?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 10:51:04 PM »

He could come back on the proviso he signs a contract not to create sock puppets. Would that help at all?
User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

Elitist Bitch

• The 12th Cylon
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 10:57:25 PM »

He hasn't really done anything really bad. He's annoying, but was this BBS in the habit of banning annoying people?
Sometimes, you have to roll a hard six.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 11:13:17 PM »

He hasn't really done anything really bad. He's annoying, but was this BBS in the habit of banning annoying people?

Yes, for some time now. 

He could come back on the proviso he signs a contract not to create sock puppets. Would that help at all?

It is also in the habit of banning some sock puppets and/or it's creator but tolerating others on a completely subjective basis.

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 11:18:33 PM »

Its a property rights issue. FTL owns the BBS so they have the right to make the rules. On the flipside there is an opportunity cost to FTL in that the board will die if it continually bans interesting people. I still think the best option is to create a competing forum if you think you can do it better.

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 11:20:56 PM »

Yes, for some time now. 

It is also in the habit of banning some sock puppets and/or it's creator but tolerating others on a completely subjective basis.

Yes.Considering BJ has the same history.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 11:35:05 PM »

Alex is not an honorable man. 

I didn't know he's banned, and don't really care.  This forum is private property and a few people have been given permission to maintain an etiquette here, which has a certain amount of flexibility.  There are no hard-and-fast rules, for the most part.  People are given more than enough rope here to hang themselves.  When a mod acts, its usually well beyond the reasonable limits that other forums wouldn't tolerate. 

He's free to return, Alex is quite adept at working around net issues.  If he returns, he'll probably be observed before any further actions are taken.  Like always.  But his tolerance limits are well below any other non-offender who may act inappropriately, who may never be told to chill the fuck out, because most people realize when they're inappropriate and make an effort to correct their own behavior. 

The owner of this forum has recently rescinded his formerly "virtually unmoderated" edict, so the rules have changed - and by my measure, for the better.  Apple just posted a factoid the other day, he found somewhere in a web biz tracker, which stated the traffic here is worth $250k.  I find that a little hard to swallow, but even if its 10% of that, its still worth maintaining some order. 

Alex Libman has a serious bunch of personality issues to work on, and while the unique philosophy of the average user is one of tolerance, which I agree with - I think his disregard for the whole place and its users merits some special treatment.  If he maintains a level of civility, I have no problem with him hanging here, even if he does recycle his accounts on occasion.  Knowing him, I think he'll come back even more obnoxious, which will result in another expulsion.  We can and will do this all day, every day, until it dissipates his enjoyment of the process and he modifies his behavior. 

BonerJoe

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 11:42:09 PM »

Of threatening to kill people?

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 11:46:15 PM »

No,sock puppetry  :P

Bill Brasky

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 11:51:21 PM »

I think we both know he's prone to idle rage spewing. 

But I agree with you, because one day it might not be a hollow statement.  Its inappropriate, to be sure - and he does it way too fuckin' often.   

If you want to be the de-facto Alex banner in perpetuity, I won't disagree.  You have your rights to click buttons, and those choices are yours.  I'd probably be more of a wait and see guy, when he reincarnates himself.  He may eventually sort his head out and he has some good qualities, and you can't really observe his behavior if he gets whack-a-moled every time he pops up.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 11:58:53 PM »

WTF? Bring him back.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

BonerJoe

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 12:02:18 AM »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 12:02:59 AM »

WTF? Bring him back.

He can bring himself back, bro.

You see him here?  I don't.  That means he doesn't care.  For him, it's like walking around a tree.  When he wants to be here, he'll be here - at least temporarily, for however long Jay decides to tolerate him.  

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 12:09:43 AM »

Alex is not an honorable man. 

I didn't know he's banned, and don't really care.  This forum is private property and a few people have been given permission to maintain an etiquette here, which has a certain amount of flexibility.  There are no hard-and-fast rules, for the most part.  People are given more than enough rope here to hang themselves.  When a mod acts, its usually well beyond the reasonable limits that other forums wouldn't tolerate. 

He's free to return, Alex is quite adept at working around net issues.  If he returns, he'll probably be observed before any further actions are taken.  Like always.  But his tolerance limits are well below any other non-offender who may act inappropriately, who may never be told to chill the fuck out, because most people realize when they're inappropriate and make an effort to correct their own behavior. 

The owner of this forum has recently rescinded his formerly "virtually unmoderated" edict, so the rules have changed - and by my measure, for the better.  Apple just posted a factoid the other day, he found somewhere in a web biz tracker, which stated the traffic here is worth $250k.  I find that a little hard to swallow, but even if its 10% of that, its still worth maintaining some order. 

Alex Libman has a serious bunch of personality issues to work on, and while the unique philosophy of the average user is one of tolerance, which I agree with - I think his disregard for the whole place and its users merits some special treatment.  If he maintains a level of civility, I have no problem with him hanging here, even if he does recycle his accounts on occasion.  Knowing him, I think he'll come back even more obnoxious, which will result in another expulsion.  We can and will do this all day, every day, until it dissipates his enjoyment of the process and he modifies his behavior. 

Im not claiming he is honorable or even a decent human being. What level of thought crime is acceptable to the mods?  Advocating the violent death of people is not the same as actually performing the act.  Does FTL believe this or do they advocate that there can only be a crime if there is a victim?. Banning someone for being annoying or even advocating skinning a cop alive or any other thing typed in a forum thread is dangerously close to 1984.

That being said FTL owns the bbs so it is up to them what rules they set.

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 12:09:52 AM »

If you guys are worried about Libman's threats, than banning him will not keep you safe.

I mean really.

Libman is a personality I log on to read just as much as the other most active members:

Drifter, Boner, Dragline, Dio, Admiral, Rillion, Lindsay, Hillbilly, Shaw, Richard etc.

To ban Libman, would make me and many others, log on less.

Libman is quirky, but interesting.

Don't get your thongs all stuck up your ass.

He brings something to the table.

Maybe not the Marinated Keene "Pork" you might wanna eat for dinner; but, he's an entrée.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Should Alex Libman be unbanned?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 37 queries.