Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Selling & shipping baklava! =)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Selling & shipping baklava! =)  (Read 50760 times)

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
Re: Selling & shipping baklava! =)
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2009, 02:08:27 PM »

If you make enough money, maybe soon there should be a baklava.freetalklive.com ?
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Mandrik

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2009, 02:42:27 PM »

If you make enough money, maybe soon there should be a baklava.freetalklive.com ?

I'm thinking about it.  I should talk to Mark to see what the costs would be for short term advertising, and then see how much that actually would benefit my business.  It's one of those things I'm going to look into in early 2010.
-Mandrik

Mandrik

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2009, 04:40:58 PM »

I know that with my Greek family I could have an uncle who uses cardboard in his recipes and he would insist that it's the best way to make it.  Being extremely stubborn is in our blood, lol.  I take the approach that this is how I make my baklava.  It's how I prefer it, but you may disagree.  You are more than welcome to make your own, and I would love to sample it!  I think that's a safe way to take on cooking.  It's hard to cook something that everyone says is the absolute best, and I definitely appreciate her, and your, feedback!  :)

I used to use clover honey but it really does nothing for me.  It's just a sweetner.  I've tried wildflower, orange blossom, alfalfa, eucalyptus, maple, raspberry, and many more including a couple different wildflower varieties from Greece (my uncle has beekeeper friends there).  Buckwheat reigns supreme in my book.  I know a couple people who grew up in Greece and for some reason don't like the taste buckwheat adds.  My mom is one of them, and she will only use clover.  I told her to switch to wildflower because it's still a mild honey, much like clover, but has more flavor than just sweet.  I'd encourage your mom to try it out.  I used to still buy clover for stuff like hot tea and sandwiches (instead of jelly), but I now use wildflower for common stuff around the house.

Did you eat it chilled?  A lot of the wetness on the bottom has a better texture when the baklava is a little cool.  That's actually one of the reasons I say it's best served chilled.  Thanks again for your business, bro!  I appreciate it.
-Mandrik

FTL_Mark

• I'm a Moderator now, but I don't want to hear your whining!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2009, 05:53:14 PM »

I'm thinking about it.  I should talk to Mark to see what the costs would be for short term advertising, and then see how much that actually would benefit my business.  It's one of those things I'm going to look into in early 2010.

Send me an email at Mark @ freetalklive .com. There are secret rates for AMPlifiers, Porcs and BBS Trolls :).
No one has conjectured that I could quite possibly be a Libertarian posing as an Anarchist trying to pretend to still be a Libertarian; or what I like to call an Anarcho-Hustler.

BonerJoe

« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2009, 06:05:52 PM »

Wat. I love the fact that it's wet all the way through, that's what makes it good. Other baklava its like dry on the outer layers and barely moist on the inside. This shit tastes like you're eating dry aged prime filet mignon, lol.

Mandrik

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2009, 06:23:19 PM »

Thanks, Mark.  I'll hit you up early next year.

I agree, joe, but I also understand that some people like it a little drier.  Baklava is literally made a million different ways.  There isn't a right or wrong way to make it, only the way you prefer.  :)
-Mandrik

BonerJoe

« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2009, 06:40:11 PM »

There isn't a right or wrong way to make it, only the way you prefer.  :)

If it were my company, the slogan would be "Your grandma's baklava sucks."

Mandrik

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2009, 06:50:26 PM »

There isn't a right or wrong way to make it, only the way you prefer.  :)

If it were my company, the slogan would be "Your grandma's baklava sucks."

If I ever expand you'll be the first on my list to head up my marketing department.
-Mandrik

Zat

• View Profile
    • Just a photo gallery
« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2009, 03:58:27 PM »

Went through one package of the stuff last night.

To me, like BonerJoe, the 'wet' was a huge plus, a lot better then the usual mouthful of dryness you get with Baklava.
I was kind of surprised at how strong the clove flavor was. I liked the strong clove, it gave it's own distinct type of flavor compared to
'generic' baklava. Other people seemed a bit put-off by how strong the clove was.

Not like chunks of nuts in my food much, the fine grind on the nuts in this was awesome too, brought out more of the nut flavor in a very smooth filling.
Serious props there.

Last night Italian part of the family though, who don't know shit about things like baklava.
Tomorrow, I'm bringing the second package to the Armenian side, who are significantly more baklava aware.

Mandrik

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »

Good deal, glad you enjoyed it.  Let me know how it goes on day 2.
-Mandrik

Mandrik

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2009, 11:05:54 PM »

the greeks on my wife's side of the family can forget about getting any more of it just so that they can bitch about it while they eat it all.  :x

Sounds like pretty much all the Greeks I know, lol.  My family on both sides was wondering why I didn't make any to give out for Christmas.  I refused for the very same reasons.  They all know how to make it, but they just wanted to nit pick my recipe.
-Mandrik

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2009, 08:16:18 AM »

the greeks on my wife's side of the family can forget about getting any more of it just so that they can bitch about it while they eat it all.  :x

Sounds like pretty much all the Greeks I know, lol.  My family on both sides was wondering why I didn't make any to give out for Christmas.  I refused for the very same reasons.  They all know how to make it, but they just wanted to nit pick my recipe.

Oh fuck that.  I wouldn't put up with that.  Are they making money off of their baklava recipe?
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Mandrik

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2009, 06:14:42 PM »

Oh fuck that.  I wouldn't put up with that.  Are they making money off of their baklava recipe?

Exactly!

A cousin of mine, who is also a silver amper, bought half a pan from me.  He even refused my family discount.  He ate some and said it was the best he's ever had, but he also joked about how our parents/aunts/uncles would be so stubborn and think their cooking is the best no matter what.  Thankfully our generation is a bit more level headed.
-Mandrik

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2009, 12:10:24 AM »

After reading all the great feedback from happy customers, I'm getting off my ass & ordering some baklava.

Final straw? Hearing the "complaint" that the bottom layers were too wet. I think the bottom layers ought to be dripping with honey, as it is the perfect thing to go with really strong black coffee late in the evening.

I'd not thought of using buckwheat honey... that's a really good idea. I've used orange blossom honey, which I like better than the wildflower/honey.
(I love making baklava, but don't really have the time to devote to it these days. Plus with it being something only the Mr. & I will eat, it's a lot of effort for just the two of us, and I don't need to eat more of it if making larger pan.)
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Mandrik

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2009, 12:18:02 AM »

Cool, thanks for your order!  I'll get it out first thing Monday morning since I'll be baking tomorrow morning and Friday is a holiday.  I look forward to your feedback, especially since you're a baklava baker.  :)
-Mandrik
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Selling & shipping baklava! =)

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 33 queries.