Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Seeking advice for convincing indifferent friends to vote Ron Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seeking advice for convincing indifferent friends to vote Ron Paul  (Read 3816 times)

AOD_Horseman

• Yours Truly
    • View Profile

So I've got half a dozen friends who either don't care about the elections, or have the classically ignorant "vote for the person with the best chance of winning" mentality. Needless to say, half of them feel the best chance lies with Hillary. I could use a bit of help in persuading these friends to at the very least consider Ron Paul for their vote, but there's one person in particular I feel the need to convince.

She's essentially got a Libertarian-esque mindset and lifestyle, being a self-proclaimed pagan and an active homosexual rights advocate. I think her biggest issue, if you can call it that, is getting a woman (if you can call her that, har har) into the presidency. Other than that, when I asked why she felt she would vote that way, it was a pause and "I dunno."

I've already referred her to Ron Paul's campaign website, but I doubt she'll spend much time reading it. I don't even read it, other than skimming over some info now and then, to be honest. Any advice you folks could send my way, and maybe some specific examples of his voting history to show her he's not the typical politician, would be massively appreciated.

Thank you kindly.
Bushi no ichi-gon

markuzick

• Atheist Pro-Lifer
  • Dr. Montessori: Discipline through liberty
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking advice for convincing indifferent friends to vote Ron Paul
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 04:45:14 AM »

So I've got half a dozen friends who either don't care about the elections, or have the classically ignorant "vote for the person with the best chance of winning" mentality. Needless to say, half of them feel the best chance lies with Hillary. I could use a bit of help in persuading these friends to at the very least consider Ron Paul for their vote, but there's one person in particular I feel the need to convince.

She's essentially got a Libertarian-esque mindset and lifestyle, being a self-proclaimed pagan and an active homosexual rights advocate. I think her biggest issue, if you can call it that, is getting a woman (if you can call her that, har har) into the presidency. Other than that, when I asked why she felt she would vote that way, it was a pause and "I dunno."

I've already referred her to Ron Paul's campaign website, but I doubt she'll spend much time reading it. I don't even read it, other than skimming over some info now and then, to be honest. Any advice you folks could send my way, and maybe some specific examples of his voting history to show her he's not the typical politician, would be massively appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

Start with this:

He's the only candidate who isn't a warmonger.

He's the only candidate who wants to end the war on drugs.

He's the only candidate who wants to abolish the income tax.

He's the only candidate who wants to abolish the federal reserve.

He's the only candidate who wants to end discriminatory, corrupt and medieval licencing laws and regulations.

He's the only candidate who has a track record to prove his sincerity and adherence to principles.

Ask her why she would want to waste her vote on a politician who is 180 degrees the opposite of Ron Paul on all of the above.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 05:20:43 AM by markuzick »
As the state feeds off of the limitation and destruction of legitimate government, anarchy is its essence.

To claim "economic rent" from someone Else's labor when applied to land, which is something no one can own outright, is in itself, to claim landlord status over raw nature. It is an attempt at coercive monopoly power that is at the root of statism.

Phantgeist

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 04:55:10 AM »

Bribe them.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 05:04:07 AM »

What have you really won win you pick the media selected winner in a campaign?  You have given your authority to decide about your life to the idiot box.  Not that that will influence her just and observation.

You also forgot he is the only candidate that doesn't want to regulate the internet.  If some anti-gay group gets in charge of the FCC the organization that wants to regulate the internet then what chance to gay groups have of getting a license to have websites.  They could claim it is a public health issue or any other excuse to keep people with different lifestyles from being able to freely participate on the web like they do today.  This also goes for alternative religions as well.

markuzick

• Atheist Pro-Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 05:25:07 AM »

Bribe them.

Yes, with greater freedom, prosperity, security and peace. It's an offer they can't refuse.
As the state feeds off of the limitation and destruction of legitimate government, anarchy is its essence.

To claim "economic rent" from someone Else's labor when applied to land, which is something no one can own outright, is in itself, to claim landlord status over raw nature. It is an attempt at coercive monopoly power that is at the root of statism.

AOD_Horseman

• Yours Truly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 09:09:49 PM »

I used most of those points with my boss earlier, and that convinced him right out. Thanks!
The friend in question above though really doesn't trust politicians at all, so I'd like to see something in his history. Obviously I pointed out that Hillary has a history of... well... nothing. That chipped away some apprehension, but didn't quite get her there.
Bushi no ichi-gon

markuzick

• Atheist Pro-Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 02:20:06 AM »

I used most of those points with my boss earlier, and that convinced him right out. Thanks!
The friend in question above though really doesn't trust politicians at all, so I'd like to see something in his history. Obviously I pointed out that Hillary has a history of... well... nothing. That chipped away some apprehension, but didn't quite get her there.

Paul and Clinton both have histories in the form of their voting records as representatives.

http://www.vote-smart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=296

alkanen

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 07:27:07 AM »

Why the hell do people think it's important to get a certain type of body (woman, black, midget, lizard) into the office rather than a certain type of mind (libertarian, communist, Mormon)?

markuzick

• Atheist Pro-Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 10:33:02 AM »

Why the hell do people think it's important to get a certain type of body (woman, black, midget, lizard) into the office rather than a certain type of mind (libertarian, communist, Mormon)?

Indoctrination in class warfare is the result of a state run educational system and is reinforced by a divisive system that relies on violent threats, instead of voluntary cooperation to achieve its objectives.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 02:29:36 PM »

We must have a female black midget lizard as our next president, no matter what. 

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 02:58:49 PM »

We must have a female black midget lizard as our next president, no matter what. 
:lol: :lol:

Since Ron Paul, while being against federal funding of genetic & cloning research, is in support of removing government barriers to private research, he is our best chance of getting that black midget lizard woman in the future.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 03:03:52 PM »

:lol: :lol:

Since Ron Paul, while being against federal funding of genetic & cloning research, is in support of removing government barriers to private research, he is our best chance of getting that black midget lizard woman in the future.

Damn, you're good. 

alkanen

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 03:12:54 PM »

hahaha

AOD_Horseman

• Yours Truly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 11:14:14 PM »

A little update on my conversion status, heh.
So far I've convinced four people to either vote for or consider voting for Ron Paul, much thanks to the info you've given me. I have yet to speak to the aforementioned Hillary-voter friend, but at least I have hope, eh?

And I'd vote for a black midget woman lizard, as long as they supported individuals' freedom.
Bushi no ichi-gon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Seeking advice for convincing indifferent friends to vote Ron Paul

// ]]>

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 32 queries.