Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Sam is a hero!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Sam is a hero!  (Read 40467 times)

Bill Brasky

Re: Sam is a hero!
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2009, 07:41:57 PM »

Its cold. 

Its very possible I may end up there, and I hate the fuckin' cold. 

dude.
with all the jingle you be savin' by switchin' to swissco, you can afford to ''winter'' in sicily....or greece...the amalfi coast, offa italy, is-a nice

If I make it that far, I'll try 'em all. 

Riddler

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2009, 08:13:41 PM »

i love how the sam-hero thread morphed into moving-to-switzerland talk...
bahhh-haa
wrassle-assle ain't gon like it none

jeffersonish

« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2009, 05:16:15 PM »

ad hominem attacks are about ego -- they don't help promote anything. Discussing and criticizing the tactics on their merits might. I'm not saying people shouldn't object to Sam's being given hero status -- that isn't what I was talking about.

I can point to several fat ass posts I've made discussing exactly that.

I don't approve of the hero label, precisely because he isn't achieving anything, I haven't engaged in any name calling. I have said multiple times that I agree with Sam's goals, just not his methods, and I have challenged lots of people here to show how it is working without relying on vague generalities like "it might inspire someone" or "its spreading the word".

I'm not going to go back and check all the posts so I'm not sure you were the target of my comment. However, I would point out, you don't know that Sam isn't achieving anything. Many things like shifts in people's attitudes cannot be measured by you. You can speculate, but absent some concrete evidence, that is all you're doing.

Jetfire

« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2009, 05:32:26 PM »

ad hominem attacks are about ego -- they don't help promote anything. Discussing and criticizing the tactics on their merits might. I'm not saying people shouldn't object to Sam's being given hero status -- that isn't what I was talking about.

I don't approve of the hero label, precisely because he isn't achieving anything, I haven't engaged in any name calling. I have said multiple times that I agree with Sam's goals, just not his methods, and I have challenged lots of people here to show how it is working without relying on vague generalities like "it might inspire someone" or "its spreading the word".

I'm not going to go back and check all the posts so I'm not sure you were the target of my comment. However, I would point out, you don't know that Sam isn't achieving anything. Many things like shifts in people's attitudes cannot be measured by you. You can speculate, but absent some concrete evidence, that is all you're doing.

It mind change some peoples perspectives but he's saying it's pointless because it won't accomplish much. The FSP wont work and that everything over there is a waste of time.

jeffersonish

« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2009, 06:58:53 PM »

It mind change some peoples perspectives but he's saying it's pointless because it won't accomplish much. The FSP wont work and that everything over there is a waste of time.

And the reason he is so sure of this? I haven't seen any logical proof, just opinions. That's okay... just be clear when you have an opinion about what will or will not work, you might be wrong.

fatcat

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2009, 07:16:52 PM »

And the reason he is so sure of this? I haven't seen any logical proof, just opinions. That's okay... just be clear when you have an opinion about what will or will not work, you might be wrong.

Thats not how proof works.

I don't have to prove its not working, you have to prove that it is.

Far as I can see Sam hasn't done dick to make anyone freer, and I've asked for some sort of proof of results on multiple occasions.

all i've got is a bunch of piss weak bullshit about "it only takes one act to inspire something great", and a bunch of shitty reference to Rosa Parks and Ghandi, that don't stack up to shit. Arguments that appeal to civ dis working in general are very disingenuous. Of course civ dis CAN work, but thats not the issue, its whether its working in this exact situation.

Also, I've put up a pretty compelling case for why that kind of activism won't do shit. What with the dozens of cases of police murders, molestations and general abuses that make national news coverage, compared to comparatively very minor cases of Sam, that don't even clock 1000+ views on youtube, let alone national news.

Proof. Pudding. Please.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 07:19:50 PM by fatcat »

jeffersonish

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2009, 12:12:53 AM »

Far as I can see Sam hasn't done dick to make anyone freer

And if he has accomplished half of the convincing needed to get person x to join the FSP,
and if that person x is a fantastic leader who lives out of state, has never called in, never posted in the BBS,
and the future result of converting this fantastic leader is an incredible increase in the FSP's success,
how would one show this?

I maintain, you don't know Sam hasn't done dick... as you point out, you haven't seen it...
You don't see the benefit, Sam does. Sam does his thing, you do yours, and some people will call Sam a hero and some people will snipe at him for trying.

JWI

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2009, 12:46:44 AM »

Far as I can see Sam hasn't done dick to make anyone freer

And if he has accomplished half of the convincing needed to get person x to join the FSP,
and if that person x is a fantastic leader who lives out of state, has never called in, never posted in the BBS,
and the future result of converting this fantastic leader is an incredible increase in the FSP's success,
how would one show this?

I maintain, you don't know Sam hasn't done dick... as you point out, you haven't seen it...
You don't see the benefit, Sam does. Sam does his thing, you do yours, and some people will call Sam a hero and some people will snipe at him for trying.

So as long as there are might haves and could bes to be discussed, he's a hero?

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2009, 03:12:13 AM »

To me, what he's doing is heroic, so, he's a hero. If you don't think he's a hero, fine. But the only objective question is whether Sam is heroic to someone, and clearly, the answer is "YES." Therefore, Sam is a hero, because at least one person finds his efforts heroic, even if you do not. Naysayers, STFU, GTFO.

Especially fatcat, who does almost nothing but shit on people who stand up for themselves or even say they'd stand up for themselves if aggressed against, because apparently, actually doing something is inferior to bitching online.
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

JWI

« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2009, 01:48:16 PM »

To me, what he's doing is heroic, so, he's a hero. If you don't think he's a hero, fine. But the only objective question is whether Sam is heroic to someone, and clearly, the answer is "YES." Therefore, Sam is a hero, because at least one person finds his efforts heroic, even if you do not. Naysayers, STFU, GTFO.

Especially fatcat, who does almost nothing but shit on people who stand up for themselves or even say they'd stand up for themselves if aggressed against, because apparently, actually doing something is inferior to bitching online.

So by this rationale, Hitler was a hero.  George W. Bush was hero.  Obama is a hero.  Some homeless guy pissing his pants is a hero.

Doing something isn't inferior, but there will be criticism no matter which "something" a person undertakes. Now Sam is getting in the regular media, that's fantastic.  I just think it's terribly sad he's starving himself for something that in the long run will most likely be completely forgotten.

BonerJoe

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2009, 01:54:08 PM »

You know, if people only put this much effort into starting a free town...

Manuel_OKelly

• Objectivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2009, 02:14:35 PM »

ya

Hero

#  In mythology and legend, a man, often of divine ancestry, who is endowed with great courage and strength, celebrated for his bold exploits, and favored by the gods.
# A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life: soldiers and nurses who were heroes in an unpopular war.

If you have any examples of heroic acts sam has done I'd be happy to hear them.

He has the courage to sit in a jail for the nobility of his purpose. He risks his life by trying to force the government to face him in court by starving himself, revealing the torture and evil the organization is willing to go through to illicit obedience. He faced the Texas government alone before coming to New Hampshire and I would say he has been favored in everything that he's done including/up until now.

Thats not how proof works.

I don't have to prove its not working, you have to prove that it is.

Are you not claiming that Sam isn't a hero? All you did was post a definition. Prove that what Sam is doing doesn't require strength and courage. That it doesn't serve his purpose of forcing the law back on the government. You can refute my statements as untrue, but that doesn't mean the opposite is true.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 02:19:25 PM by Manuel_OKelly »

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2009, 02:14:57 PM »

T. Boone Pickens FTW
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

blackie

« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2009, 04:30:56 PM »

The Free Keene crew thinks they will be able to "free Keene".

BonerJoe

« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2009, 04:41:23 PM »

The Free Keene crew thinks they will be able to "free Keene".

Sure. As soon as that college goes out of business.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Sam is a hero!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.