Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Ron Paul on 2012 - "I don't think that's likely"

Poll

... but would you want him to run?

Yes - as a dark horse Republican again
- 10 (28.6%)
Yes - for Libertarian Party nomination
- 11 (31.4%)
No - Ron Paul sucks.
- 2 (5.7%)
No - politics sucks.
- 12 (34.3%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ron Paul on 2012 - "I don't think that's likely"  (Read 7420 times)

Alex Libman 14

Ron Paul on 2012 - "I don't think that's likely"
« on: July 20, 2009, 06:15:07 PM »

From Politico -- Republicans embrace Ron Paul on domestic policy --

"He hasn't bombed Iran yet", says Ron Paul, when asked to assess the best and worst characteristics of President Barack Obama's six months in office.

"The worst thing is he is probably still thinking about it."

No sooner does the representative from Texas' 14th Congressional District, nicknamed "Dr. No" by his detractors, find himself embraced by mainstream Republicans (and even some Democrats) on domestic policy issues, then he pivots his focus to foreign affairs.

Obama, Paul told POLITICO during a sit-down in his office this week, "has talked a little better than his action, but he has already expanded [the number of troops] in Afghanistan and Pakistan. He became the peace candidate: "Yeah, we’re going to end that war in Iraq".  But it's not sincere.  I don't think they had any intention, never did."

It's a unique time for Paul.  With the economy in the tank, the same cable news shows that spurned him during the election now keep asking him on to talk monetary policy.  Republican House members are finally voting with him on spending measures.

But following his exhilarant, if quixotic, quest for the presidency, Paul finds himself simultaneously gratified and frustrated by his return to the friendlier-than-before confines of the House of Representatives.  He thinks he's well situated in Congress to push for his libertarian causes, but then claims he doesn't "pay a whole lot of attention" to the activity on the House floor these days, adding, "I don't think it's relevant to the big picture.”

"A lot of this is just tinkering, bailing out, more money, more spending, no shift of direction and it's a little bit frustrating", he says.

Asked if he feels more embraced by the Republican Party establishment, Paul shrugs and says, "half and half".

"I think there's respect. But they don't call me in and say, 'What we need to find out from you is how you reach the young people'."

As for another presidential run in 2012, "I don’t think that’s likely", Paul says.

But in the next breath, he admits that he would have made the same prediction three years before his last run for the party's banner.
  And he questions whether the names being bandied about as possible Republican nominees will connect to his supporters.

"The one thing that is characteristic about anybody who joins us is that they are energized and everybody recognizes that", Paul says.  "We also know that it is the energy in a small group of people that really leads nations."

"Let's say I have 15 percent of Republicans and [Mitt] Romney has 30 percent.  If his people aren't energized, our guys might stand for three of his."

As for soon-to-be departing Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, Paul dismisses her supporters as "more establishment, conventional Country-Club type of Republicans".

"I wonder whether she's energizing the 15-20 year olds", Paul muses.  "That would be a question I would have. Because she doesn't talk about the Federal Reserve and some of these issues.  She doesn't talk too much about personal liberties, civil liberties, getting rid of drug laws, attacking the war on drugs, punishing people who torture."

Worse still, he adds, Palinites are partisans: "If Obama was the only one who was guilty, they would be on his case all the time, but there is a lot of partisanship and I am probably less partisan and therefore she is going to appeal to partisan Republicans better".

As Paul sees it, such partisanship is the rough equivalent of an old Onion headline, "our local area sports team is superior to your local area sports team", or, as he puts it, "I think when it comes to foreign policy and monetary policy on big spending and watching out for the big corporations, Republicans are Democrats".

And then he reverses again crediting Obama for restoring, however unintentionally, Republican principles.

"Republicans now are conservatives again" since the election, he says.  "They are more consistent in voting against all these spending [measures].  And I kid them, I say, 'are you guys voting with me now or am I voting with you?'

“Of course, they would always complain when I voted against Republican spending.“

Looking back at his presidential run, Paul seems sincerely surprised:  He's stayed the same, but suddenly the young folk who were whistling past him for years stopped to listen, even as the party's other candidates did their best to ignore him.

"Some people say, 'Oh, that was a good strategy'", Paul says.  "It was no more strategy than a man on the moon.  It was just that I knew what I believed in, I kept talking about it, knew the problems were coming.  I really assumed I would probably be back in medicine or something when the crisis hit."

The Campaign for Liberty, the grass-roots organization that grew out of Paul's presidential campaign, has raised over $3 million since last June, attracting some 200,000 members.

“It just sort of baffles me", says Paul, shrinking, as he tends to do, when the notion of his star quality is raised.

And as of last week, 271 members of the House -- about one-third of them Democrats -- have signed onto HR-1207; a measure Paul introduced last February to audit the Federal Reserve.

When the Campaign for Liberty had a petition drop in support of the measure some six weeks ago, members were informed the night before that there would be a photo-op with Paul.  Even with such late notice, 11 showed up to have their picture taken with "Dr. No", including Tom Cole, the former chair of the NRCC.

At the same time, Paul shrugs off his role in the House.  "So I don't work here so much.  I didn't get many signatures, because I have sort of twisted arms or put on pressure.  Plus, I have nothing to trade, I am not a committee chairman and don't have any clout, but because we have grassroots support, they got energized, and that's how we have [271 members]…on the bill."

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
Re: Ron Paul on 2012 - "I don't think that's likely"
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 12:25:45 AM »

I think it's time for liberty people to pull their assets entirely out of national politics and direct them into something that will have an effect. Paul's run certainly had a good educational effect, but I don't think the marginal utility of another educational candidacy justifies the cost. At this point, national politics is a distraction. And a dangerous one at that, as we desperately need to effect real change at a more local level so that when the FedGov collapses, we have a viable alternative to its otherwise inevitable resurrection.
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

markuzick

• Atheist Pro-Lifer
  • Dr. Montessori: Discipline through liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 07:33:59 AM »

Things may be so awful in 2012 that people may finally be ready for a radical change.

I'd contribute to and vote for him.

I hope he'll be in good heath.
As the state feeds off of the limitation and destruction of legitimate government, anarchy is its essence.

To claim "economic rent" from someone Else's labor when applied to land, which is something no one can own outright, is in itself, to claim landlord status over raw nature. It is an attempt at coercive monopoly power that is at the root of statism.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 07:52:13 AM »

How bout his son Rand Paul?  Whats up with him trying to get elected Senator of Kentucky?  Think can pull an Obama, be Senator a couple years then go for Pres?
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

markuzick

• Atheist Pro-Lifer
  • Dr. Montessori: Discipline through liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 08:34:15 AM »

How bout his son Rand Paul?  Whats up with him trying to get elected Senator of Kentucky?  Think can pull an Obama, be Senator a couple years then go for Pres?

He doesn't have his dad's track record, only his promises to campaign on.

Can he be his dad's VP running mate? Imagine...dynastic succession.
As the state feeds off of the limitation and destruction of legitimate government, anarchy is its essence.

To claim "economic rent" from someone Else's labor when applied to land, which is something no one can own outright, is in itself, to claim landlord status over raw nature. It is an attempt at coercive monopoly power that is at the root of statism.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 09:42:54 AM »

He doesn't have his dad's track record, only his promises to campaign on.

Can he be his dad's VP running mate? Imagine...dynastic succession.
I don't think that would fly too well with the American people.  I think it's highly more probable for Rand Paul to Obama the next election, and I admit that's pretty slim.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Geoff

• View Profile
    • The Bay County Libertarian Party
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 09:55:55 AM »

I don't think that would fly too well with the American people.  I think it's highly more probable for Rand Paul to Obama the next election, and I admit that's pretty slim.

It worked for W.

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 02:01:29 PM »

[youtube=425,350]qTN22Yi1v1c[/youtube]

:?

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 03:58:23 PM »

Cool video but I think Ron Paul is a little too old this time.   Better to work on local changes to resist federal and local tyranny. 

BonerJoe

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 04:00:18 PM »

Better to work on local changes to resist federal and local tyranny. 

How's NC going?

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 04:44:28 PM »

How's NC going?

Clearly it's getting worse.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 08:19:45 PM »

How's NC going?

Clearly it's getting worse.

Yep like shit.  Managed to block the smoking ban in 2007 but it came back and got passed this time.  And on top of that a 300% tax hike.  I smoke maybe a pack of cigarettes every 6 months or so the tax hike really doesn't effect me.  I only frequented a pub once a week but ever since they put everyone out it is like a ghost town inside so I don't bother anymore.  What makes me angry is this is going to hurt the economy and put a whole lot of good people out of work.   Farms to bartenders are all going to hurt but no-one seems to care.   Many don't recognize it is an infringement on your civil rights.   

I don't know if there will be any resistance in the cities.  But out in the tobacco country there is a whole lot of grumblings that some of the back woods bars are going to give the state a big FU about the ban.   We will have to see.  This is the home of NASCAR the sport started as an act of defiance to prohibition. 

BonerJoe

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 08:28:40 PM »

I liked that Michigan still has a smoking section in restaurants.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 12:07:15 PM »

Ron Paul Does Not Rule Out The 2012 Presidential Run!

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jVZ6hjN1xs0&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jVZ6hjN1xs0&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Txoria

• Bakearen Txoria
  • I am not a number, I am a person!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 03:38:09 PM »

Where's the poll option for "Yes - As a candidate for either party"?

I could care less if he's trying to get Republican votes or not, just as long as he's spreading the ideas of liberty and freedom as much as possible.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 03:59:25 PM by Txoria »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Ron Paul on 2012 - "I don't think that's likely"

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 37 queries.