Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Recipe Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Recipe Thread  (Read 56193 times)

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Thread (Working on the title)
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2009, 03:57:06 PM »

We actually do have an Asian market near this new house-- a huge one, about the size of a Wal-Mart, which we literally discovered on moving day.  "Excited" is an understatement.   I don't know if it quite makes up for not having a Trader Joe's, but it softens the blow a bit. 

You're going to love it, especially when you look at the register tape in comparison to purchasing ethnic/specialty items at the regular supermarket.
The seafood selection and fresh herbs should be a lot better, too.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2009, 04:28:23 PM »

We actually do have an Asian market near this new house-- a huge one, about the size of a Wal-Mart, which we literally discovered on moving day.  "Excited" is an understatement.   I don't know if it quite makes up for not having a Trader Joe's, but it softens the blow a bit. 

You're going to love it, especially when you look at the register tape in comparison to purchasing ethnic/specialty items at the regular supermarket.

I love open markets.  The one here is Amish, not Asian.  Theres lots of 'regular' people, too, but its predominantly Amish produce and meats.  And prepared foods too, thats where I get the fried chicken.  Their breads and produce are spectacular.  My next thing I'm gonna try from there is crab cakes, theres a seafood shop that makes me drool.  Not Amish, obviously, they're not known for their seafaring ways. 

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2009, 04:33:15 PM »

We actually do have an Asian market near this new house-- a huge one, about the size of a Wal-Mart, which we literally discovered on moving day.  "Excited" is an understatement.   I don't know if it quite makes up for not having a Trader Joe's, but it softens the blow a bit. 

I love open markets.  The one here is Amish, not Asian.  Theres lots of 'regular' people, too, but its predominantly Amish produce and meats.  And prepared foods too, thats where I get the fried chicken.  Their breads and produce are spectacular.  My next thing I'm gonna try from there is crab cakes, theres a seafood shop that makes me drool.  Not Amish, obviously, they're not known for their seafaring ways. 

That's awesome.  I'm not a big fried chicken person, but the fried chicken at the Amish restaurants down here IS amazingly tasty.  I'm sure you're aware of the decently sized Amish population around Sarasota/Bradenton since I recall you being familiar with the area.  There are a few yummy Amish restaurants down here that have some good stuff, and you can buy the baked goods.  I've never seen a whole open Amish market though.  That sounds really cool.   
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Bill Brasky

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2009, 06:28:15 PM »

We actually do have an Asian market near this new house-- a huge one, about the size of a Wal-Mart, which we literally discovered on moving day.  "Excited" is an understatement.   I don't know if it quite makes up for not having a Trader Joe's, but it softens the blow a bit. 

That's awesome.  I'm not a big fried chicken person, but the fried chicken at the Amish restaurants down here IS amazingly tasty.  I'm sure you're aware of the decently sized Amish population around Sarasota/Bradenton since I recall you being familiar with the area.  There are a few yummy Amish restaurants down here that have some good stuff, and you can buy the baked goods.  I've never seen a whole open Amish market though.  That sounds really cool.   

To be honest, I wasn't aware that theres a large Amish population down yonder. 

What I like about them is they tend to use ingredients that are often considered unhealthy.  Butter, salt, etc.  They don't fuck around with substitutes and try to go Atkins.  Everything is rich and thick.  It makes me want to roll in it, like a dog in the yard. 

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2009, 07:10:50 PM »

What I like about them is they tend to use ingredients that are often considered unhealthy.  Butter, salt, etc.  They don't fuck around with substitutes and try to go Atkins.  Everything is rich and thick.  It makes me want to roll in it, like a dog in the yard. 

This might be a good recipe for you then, Brasky.

Fried Butter Balls http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/paulas-fried-butter-balls-recipe/index.html

It's outside my comfort zone, even though I make no apologies for the bricks of butter and pints of heavy cream I toss in my shopping cart.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2009, 07:21:21 PM »

Jesus...  That sounds awful and wonderful at the same time. 

I was thinking more along the lines of chicken pot pie that doesn't taste like kindergarten paste. 

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2009, 08:48:17 PM »

This might be a good recipe for you then, Brasky.

Fried Butter Balls http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/paulas-fried-butter-balls-recipe/index.html

It's outside my comfort zone, even though I make no apologies for the bricks of butter and pints of heavy cream I toss in my shopping cart.

Oh my God.  I saw her make these on TV and I was appalled.   :lol:
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2009, 12:27:12 PM »

Me, too. I'd never have thought I'd ever say NO to a butter dish.
After all, I go through a brick of bulk organic butter in cooking AND four sticks of unsalted butter in baking every 1-1/2 to 2 weeks:

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2009, 12:29:41 PM »

Me, too. I'd never have thought I'd ever say NO to a butter dish.
After all, I go through a brick of bulk organic butter in cooking AND four sticks of unsalted butter in baking every 1-1/2 to 2 weeks:

Yeah, I'm no stranger to butter and cheese either - but I just don't think I could bring myself to put that in my mouth.   :lol:
         -George W. Bush

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2009, 12:51:50 PM »

Shaw Chili - (WARNING, I use frigging beans in my chili, get over it.)

Stuff you need:

Stewing beef or a roast cubed into one inch pieces. (I use roast) /Quantity - A bunch.
Roma tomatoes, diced or sliced /Quantity - About twice as much as the meat, it looses mass from water cooking off.
Beans, I like a mix. White kidney, red kidney, and black beans. /Quantity - A little less than the quantity of meat.
Garlic /Quantity - As much as you like. I'm not a snob about it. Powder is fine.
Red bell pepper /Quantity - one or two, depending how much you're making.
Habanero or Scotch bonnet pepper /Quantity - one or a part of one, to taste.
Celery /Quantity - one stalk.
Fresh mustard greens or some horseradish /Quantity - A handful or a tablespoon.
Jim Beam /Quantity - A cup or so.
Vinegar /Quantity, 1/4 cup or so.

Alright, take your bell pepper, hot chili pepper, celery, and mustard greens, and blend the shit out of them until they are pretty much liquid. This is your Flavor Blast Zone.

Throw everything into a pot or crock pot.

Cook it for six hours or more. Overnight is better. You want the meat to be shredding up when you stir it.

Put it on some rice, and have a lot of bread and milk around. Rice is obviously optional, but I dig it that way.

Eat that bitch. Eat it GOOOD.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2009, 02:49:24 PM »

Hey Joy-- you've got a lime pictured with your butter chicken recipe, but it wasn't mentioned in the ingredients list.   Is that part of the recipe, or did it just manage to sneak into the photo? 

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2009, 03:56:39 PM »

I used the lime in that batch, because of the coconut milk.
If you're using yogurt, you'll have the touch of sourness, and not need lime.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2009, 04:13:57 PM »

Aha!  Glad I asked, then.  We'll be using yogurt, making it to tomorrow or Monday. 

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2009, 04:44:21 PM »

Aha!  Glad I asked, then.  We'll be using yogurt, making it to tomorrow or Monday. 

Cool! Let me know how it turns out, and if any of the directions  were out of whack with actual prep.
It's a bit of guesswork when I write the steps down.

I made a spicier version of the sauce today, with a little cinnamon added. Worked great with sweet potatoes, chickpeas & spinach.
(No chicken - is a meatless day here.)

« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 04:50:32 PM by Laetitia »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2009, 04:51:09 PM »

Shaw Chili - (WARNING, I use frigging beans in my chili, get over it.)

Stuff you need:

Stewing beef or a roast cubed into one inch pieces. (I use roast) /Quantity - A bunch.
Roma tomatoes, diced or sliced /Quantity - About twice as much as the meat, it looses mass from water cooking off.
Beans, I like a mix. White kidney, red kidney, and black beans. /Quantity - A little less than the quantity of meat.
Garlic /Quantity - As much as you like. I'm not a snob about it. Powder is fine.
Red bell pepper /Quantity - one or two, depending how much you're making.
Habanero or Scotch bonnet pepper /Quantity - one or a part of one, to taste.
Celery /Quantity - one stalk.
Fresh mustard greens or some horseradish /Quantity - A handful or a tablespoon.
Jim Beam /Quantity - A cup or so.
Vinegar /Quantity, 1/4 cup or so.

Alright, take your bell pepper, hot chili pepper, celery, and mustard greens, and blend the shit out of them until they are pretty much liquid. This is your Flavor Blast Zone.

Throw everything into a pot or crock pot.

Cook it for six hours or more. Overnight is better. You want the meat to be shredding up when you stir it.

Put it on some rice, and have a lot of bread and milk around. Rice is obviously optional, but I dig it that way.

Eat that bitch. Eat it GOOOD.

That would rock.  

I had chili maybe twice without beans, so I know theres a core of purists who say they don't belong, but I disagree.  Chili needs beans.  

Both times were by high-end types.  Once was in one of my old bars, they had a fancy eatery upstairs and an old-time hotel.  Linen tablecloth kinda place, the staff wore tuxedo shirts.  You know the kinda place I'm sayin'.  I'm in there the one night, and the bar manager is a mom-type.  You gotta eat, she says.  Comes back from upstairs with a bowl of chili and a chunk of crusty bread.  Really super-awesome chili made from cubed steak, excellent - but no beans.  

The other was again in a bar, this time the guy who ran the place had a semi-kitchen.  Bar food only, cheapo pizza and hot dogs.  But every weekend he would make something for the regulars to eat good at home, and bring it in for about four bucks per person.  There were never any leftovers.  I guess this chili recipe he had was passed onto him by some guy who won a national chili cookoff in Texas with it, maybe second place or something, but no slouch for #2 in Texas.  Again the cubed steak, again no beans.  Very good stuff, no doubt, but as good as it was, it needed beans.  

Usually I just use dark red kidneys in mine, and hamburger, rarely do I use the beef - although I prefer it.  Hamburger's easier and chili is one of my more relaxed dishes, I just throw stuff in a pot and somehow it turns into chili.  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Recipe Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.