Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Recipe Thread
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Recipe Thread  (Read 55663 times)

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
Re: Recipe Thread
« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2009, 11:08:29 PM »

May I ask the reason for this change in eating habits? 

Too fat. Sore alla time. Mel needs it for her diabetes. Crazy hard to make separate meals for each person.

Lots of reasons.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2009, 11:10:54 PM »

May I ask the reason for this change in eating habits? 

Too fat. Sore alla time. Mel needs it for her diabetes. Crazy hard to make separate meals for each person.

Lots of reasons.

I figured it may have been something along the lines of that, as far as the diabetes go and whatnot. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2009, 11:30:59 PM »

How can I make salsa at home? Any good recipes known here? I would prefer for it to be spicy.

With or without tomatoes?

With?

I dunno. Ill trust your judgment.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 14, 2009, 09:57:47 AM »

How can I make salsa at home? Any good recipes known here? I would prefer for it to be spicy.

With?

Salsa is a pretty wide range of things.  And doesn't have to include tomatoes.  But that seems to be what you're looking for, so specify.   :P
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 14, 2009, 04:09:04 PM »

With?

Salsa is a pretty wide range of things.  And doesn't have to include tomatoes.  But that seems to be what you're looking for, so specify.   :P

With avocados?
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 14, 2009, 04:51:25 PM »

My salsa,

You need:
5 tomatoes
2 chili peppers
1/2 an onion
1tsp of salt

Roast the tomatoes and chili peppers in a frying pan or over open flame. Keep turning and make sure they are evenly charred all around the outside. You want to do this over low-to-medium heat so that the tomatoes get soft on the inside. You can brown the onion a bit if you want also.

Now throw everything in a blender and blend.

options:
Adjust ingredient amounts to taste
Use tomatillo's or green tomatoes for green salsa
use dried chili peppers to save time if you wish, but don't use stewed tomatoes. You are missing out on most of the flavor if you don't roast the tomatoes
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Thread (Working on the title)
« Reply #201 on: October 14, 2009, 10:17:11 PM »

my post got deleted.
what, am i colored?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Do yourself a favor.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #202 on: October 19, 2009, 03:31:00 AM »

Get a mix packet from home.  Make it to taste if you're not canning it.

Good ingredients:

tomato (multiple kinds)
jalapeno
hot peppers
banana peppers
lemon juice
onion
cilantro
corn
black beans
red peppers
green peppers
specialty corn
mango
olives
avocado
garlic
flour + water (to thicken)
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 28, 2009, 03:57:43 PM »

Sweet Potato & Pecan Bread
Started with a recipe for sweet potato bread made in the bread machine from southernfood.about.com.

Ingredients:
   •   1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
   •   1 teaspoon vanilla extract
   •   1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
   •   4 cups bread flour
   •   1/4 teaspoon each ground nutmeg and cinnamon
   •   2 tablespoons butter
   •   1/3 cup dark brown sugar
   •   1 1/2 teaspoons salt
   •   2 teaspoons active dry yeast
   •   2 tablespoons dry milk
Preparation:
Add ingredients according to manufacturer's suggested order. Use white bread setting, light crust.
Makes a 2-pound loaf.

My modifications:
   •   Used 1/3 cup each water and evaporated milk, no dry milk
   •   Multigrain All-purpose flour, not bread flour
   •   Added 1/3 cup chopped pecans before first rise..
   •   Started in bread machine on "dough" cycle. Final rise & bake were in oven.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 28, 2009, 04:07:39 PM »

John's Rice Diet Nachos

Manischewitz no salt Matzos
Serra Brand smoked, low salt Mozzarella cheese. (Only 30mg of salt per serving)
No salt added salsa.
Smart Ground.
Some sort of spicy stuff. I use Chinese chili sauce.
Tomato blend Mrs. Dash.

Put a thin layer of cheese, smart grounds, Mrs. Dash, and hot pepper on two Matzos.

Bake 'em for a few minutes until the cheese melts.

Put a little salsa on 'em.

Eat 'em.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2009, 05:15:03 PM »

John's Rice Diet Nachos

You know, there's a brand of brown rice tortilla-style chips that are FANTASTIC! I can't remember the brand name off the top of my head, but I pick them up at Costco whenever they're available....

...Riceworks.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 28, 2009, 06:30:59 PM »

John's Rice Diet Nachos

You know, there's a brand of brown rice tortilla-style chips that are FANTASTIC! I can't remember the brand name off the top of my head, but I pick them up at Costco whenever they're available....

...Riceworks.

I'll have to try that, so long as there's a zero salt version.

BonerJoe

« Reply #207 on: November 28, 2009, 06:37:30 PM »

How's the diet going anyway, Shaw?

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 28, 2009, 07:07:38 PM »

How's the diet going anyway, Shaw?

It is continuing. We found out the hard way that cheating on the diet at this point has become a non option, anyway.

Mel just got hired away from the Archdiocese of Detroit, because she didn't want to work for Catholics anymore, she was threatened with a layoff, and the new place offered her another ten grand over her current salary. She starts Monday. 

So we decided to cheat on the diet to celebrate. Went out and got some Chinese food. She got good old cliche Almond Chicken. I got the General Tso. We both spent the entire night clutching our stomachs and moaning. No vomiting or anything, not an illness, per se. Just a total inability to digest the greasy meat. Not to be too gross about it, but massive gas, cramps, and diarrhea were in effect.

Thursday we each had a teeny tiny slice of turkey, and less than a tablespoon of stuffing. I'm talking like 1/8 cup of meat and stuffing in total. Same thing. All night long moaning and groaning, followed by horrible gassy bloating.

We won't be cheating on the diet again any time soon.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 06, 2010, 07:36:12 PM »

From Drink This, Not That:

Quick Question: Do you want to lose weight, build lean muscle, have more energy, live longer, and protect yourself from heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and about a dozen other nasty diseases?  Do you want to gain all of those benefits and more-- without ever exercising or dieting?  And do you want to achieve all of those things in just 15 seconds a day, for less than 20 cents?  No? Really?  What's wrong with you?

Okay, let's just assume you answered yes.  If so, we're going to teach you a simple habit that is going to change your life completely, making you slimmer, healthier, and more energetic all day long: Every morning when you get up out of bed, go stagger into the kitchen and fumble for your coffee mug-- just like you do already.  But don't pour coffee in it just yet.  Instead, go directly to the fridge.  Grab some low-fat milk.  Fill the coffee cup with it.  Drink that milk down to the point where there's the right amount left for your morning coffee.  Now, add the coffee. 

You've just started your day with one of the most effective weight loss strategies known to man.

Seems crazy, but the perks of adopting that little habit are mind-blowing.  First, you guarantee yourself the metabolism-boosting, energy-charging, hunger-suppressing, fat-burning, muscle-maintaining benefits of a high-protein breakfast-- even if you didn't get a chance to eat breakfast (And you should still eat breakfast if you can-- you want about 500 calories to start your day, and a cup of 2 percent milk has only 137).  Second, you guarantee you're getting at least 300 milligrams of calcium-- almost half of the daily calcium amount shown to fend off weight gain, according to a Purdue University study (in the study, women who took in at least 780 milligrams of calcium a day maintained their weight over a 2-year period, regardless of their exercise habits.  But women who took in less than that gained weight-- again, regardless of whether they exercised or not!) . . . .

So yeah, milk is a great start.  But there's a way you can take the benefits of milk up another notch or two: Spend just a little bit more and buy organic milk.  Why?  Because the nutrients in milk come from the nutrients that cows eat, and organic, pasture-raised cows eat healthier diets, meaning they create healthier milk.  Recent studies revealed that organic dairy contains 75 percent more beta carotene, 70 percent more omega-3 fatty acids (the stuff in those expensive fish oil supplements), and 50 percent more vitamin E than regular milk.  It also provides 2 to 3 times the amount of the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin.  Even though organic milk costs more (about an extra dollar a gallon), in this case you really are getting the bang for your buck.

So, yeah....I'm taking all of the excited claims with a big pinch of salt, but thought I'd try this anyway.  I don't drink coffee, but am using the method for tea-- one cup of milk before anything, then a dose of milk with each cup of English Breakfast drunk afterward (usually 2 or 3).   

As far as organic milk goes, the Cornucopia Institute has a scorecard for various organic dairy producers in the U.S.  Before seeing the scorecard I'd bought a 1/2 gallon of Horizon 1% organic.  It tasted somewhat like milk that had already had cereal on it-- Cheerios, maybe.  Not bad, but definitely different from "regular" milk.  But then I noticed that Horizon had a rating of possibly being "ethically deficient," so decided to try Organic Valley instead.  Their 1% milk is the best milk I've ever had, hands down, and they received a rating of 4/5 "cows" from Cornucopia.  So I think this is what I'm going to stick with.  It's more expensive, sure, but I don't eat cereal and don't intend to use it for cooking, so a half gallon should take a reasonable amount of time to get through.

Anyone interested in trying this with me for a month, just to see what happens?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Recipe Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 31 queries.