Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Recipe Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Recipe Thread  (Read 56526 times)

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Thread (Working on the title)
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2009, 01:56:09 AM »

I posted a link to an article I did for my local fancy magazine (I work for them, but they're just one of the media properties my employer produces), I was the featured chef for March. However, I deleted it because it had a picture and my full name, and I just don't want that tool Dave to get an ideas. So, here's the recipe, and those who really wish to see my picture and the write up can PM me.

Curried Coconut Milk Banana Squash (or any kind of squash, pumpkin even) Soup
Ingredients
2-3 pounds banana squash
2 cups coconut milk
3 cups water
1/2 white onion,
diced finely
1 Tbsp ginger, crushed
1 to 2 tsp minced or crushed
garlic (2 or 3 cloves)
2 Tsp melted butter
2 Tsp olive oil
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
(or to taste)
Method
Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds and stringy fibers. Roast squash over medium-low heat on a grill or at 325° in an oven for about an hour, or until soft enough to scoop with a spoon. Ten minutes before removing from heat, brush the flesh of each half with a Tbsp of melted butter or olive oil.

Place a large soup pot on the stove over medium heat, add 2 Tsbp olive oil, then add onion, ginger and garlic, stirring lightly until onions begin to brown around edges. Add rice vinegar and reduce heat and reduce liquid by 50 percent. Add coconut milk and water and bring to a low boil. Spoon out the flesh of the squash and add it to the soup with the curry powder and salt. Reduce heat and allow soup to simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to mix ingredients.

Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender, (or transfer it in batches to a blender to do the same). Garnish with a drizzle of coconut milk and a sprinkle of curry powder before serving.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 04:23:29 PM by Dylboz »
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

Richard Garner

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2009, 07:06:51 AM »

dude.
no onions????

A tiny amount. Not pictured. I use a lot of garlic. Like, two bulbs, and that combined with the sweetness of the pepper tastes just right.

I had chilli con carne last night.

Ground beef
Onion
Celery
four cloves of garlic
grated carrot
Mushrooms
A can of kidney beans,
two chilli peppers,
chilli powder
vegetable and beef stock (cubes)
Some Tabasco
A can of tomatos

I chop all the vegetables, then sweat them, with the beef, in a saucepan, so the beef absorbs their flavour. Then I mix the stock cubes and chilli powder in about three quarters of a pint of boiling water, and pour it over the beef and vegetables. I turn the power down and let it simmer for half an hour, to three quarters, so it has boiled down. Then I add the tomatoes and beans. While doing this I boil up some rice. When the sauce has boiled down a bit, I serve it over the rice.

This is basically the same as my bolognese, but for that, leave out the chilli and beans, maybe add some bacon to the ground beef, and add italian herbs, like Oregano.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2009, 08:20:48 AM »

I keep seeing recipes involving quinoa recently.  Until very recently I had not heard of it.  It would appear to be very pasta/rice-like.  Little tiny grains, amirite? 

Anyhow, I was wondering where one can get this substance.  I know they have it at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's (Two stores which do not exist where I live), so I was wondering if perhaps I would be able to get it at Publix (I know they have Publix where Joy is...she'll probably know the answer to this), or if I would have to seek out a health food store-type place? 

I'm pretty sure that you'll have to go to a health food store.  There's a chain called Sprouts which is kind of half health food store and half farmer's market which sells it in big bins along with a bunch of kinds of rice, nuts, grains, etc., but they don't appear to exist in Florida. 

Quinoa is technically a vegetable I believe, but it is used like a grain or rice as filler for pilafs, salads, etc.  Loads of protein and fiber, and gluten-free which is great for people with allergies.  Joy has a recipe for a salad around here somewhere that has quinoa in it, and I can't wait to make it. 

Hmmm...interesting.  I have seen a couple very smallish chains and mom & pop type health food stores around here - so I might start calling around.  Thanks for the info. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 01, 2009, 08:44:07 AM »

I keep seeing recipes involving quinoa recently.  Until very recently I had not heard of it.  It would appear to be very pasta/rice-like.  Little tiny grains, amirite? 

Anyhow, I was wondering where one can get this substance.  I know they have it at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's (Two stores which do not exist where I live), so I was wondering if perhaps I would be able to get it at Publix (I know they have Publix where Joy is...she'll probably know the answer to this), or if I would have to seek out a health food store-type place? 

I'm pretty sure that you'll have to go to a health food store.  There's a chain called Sprouts which is kind of half health food store and half farmer's market which sells it in big bins along with a bunch of kinds of rice, nuts, grains, etc., but they don't appear to exist in Florida. 

Quinoa is technically a vegetable I believe, but it is used like a grain or rice as filler for pilafs, salads, etc.  Loads of protein and fiber, and gluten-free which is great for people with allergies.  Joy has a recipe for a salad around here somewhere that has quinoa in it, and I can't wait to make it. 

Hmmm...interesting.  I have seen a couple very smallish chains and mom & pop type health food stores around here - so I might start calling around.  Thanks for the info. 

You should be able to find it at Whole Foods. If it's like the WF here, you'll find it both pre-packaged and in the bulk bins. They may even have more than one type. (Can probably also be ordered from Amazon's grocery section.) I use the regular bulk bin stuff in salads, or in place of grits. It also works well cooked with a bit of broth and served as a side, like you would couscous or rice. Same thing for the red. I've seen black quinoa at the International Farmers Market, but haven't tried yet.

I like the red quinoa with a bit of butter and salt for breakfast. If I'm in a mood for something sweet, I'll add a touch of maple syrup or brown sugar & some cinnamon. It has a slightly nutty flavor I really like.  The only way I've fixed it so far that I haven't liked was the time I tried a quinoa curry scramble recipe I found online. The flavor wasn't the trouble - it was the texture combination of the scrambled eggs and tiny grains. Weird chewy, crumbly combo that I had to struggle to finish.

From what I understand, quinoa is rather unusual in that it provides a complete protein, which makes it very good for meatless diets. You have to combine legumes with grains to get the same nutritional benefits.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 01, 2009, 08:50:41 AM »

I posted a link to an article I did for my local fancy magazine (I work for them, but they're just one of the media properties my employer produces), I was the featured chef for March. However, I deleted it because it had a picture and my full name, and I just don't want that tool Dave to get an ideas. So, here's the recipe, and those who really wish to see my picture and the write up can PM me.

Coconut Curry Banana Squash Soup

I bookmarked the recipe last night, when you had the link up. I look forward to trying it. Might turn out to be just the thing to get me thru the squash burnout that happens every year when my two little plants in the garden keep popping out the summer squash.

Do you think this would freeze well?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »

Yeah, it keeps great. Freeze it or just keep it in the fridge, it'll stay tasty and edible for at least a month.
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2009, 01:24:04 PM »

This week is spring break for the kids, so I should have time to start clean up & combining posts w/comments.

And...
If tonight's dinner turns out well, I'll snap a photo & type up recipe.
It's a pistachio pesto. I've combined 2-3 different recipes to come up with the way I'm fixing it.
Fingers crossed, though with a loaf of rustic bread (parmesan & roasted garlic) and a big salad, nobody's going hungry.
(Backup plans if it bombs will be something quick with asparagus and butter.)

Oh - crap! I don't know if I have any Asagio.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2009, 07:16:08 PM »

Joy, did you make the bread you're having with dinner tonight? 

If you did, I'd love a recipe.  If you didn't, I'd like to know where you got such a delicious loaf of goodness.

Also, Jizz and I are huge fans of Panera's tomato soup - and I found a recipe online a few minutes ago so I thought I'd share it.  I think I'm gonna give it a try next week.  I'll post results when I do. 

From the Panera Bread Kitchen
Serves 6
5 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 tablespoons flour
4 cups milk
1/2 bay leaf
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups tomatoes, chopped (fresh or canned)
Adding baking soda to the tomatoes keeps the milk from curdling
1 Loaf of Asiago Bread(sliced Thick)

Melt the Butter in a soup pot.
Add the onion and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the onion is softened but not browned.
Sprinkle the flour over the butter mixture and continue to stir and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
Slowly add the milk, bay leaf, sugar, and salt and continue to cook and stir until slightly thickened.
Stir the baking soda into the tomatoes.
Add the tomatoes to the milk, and bring just to a simmer.
Remove from the heat and put through a strainer.
Taste and correct seasonings.
Reheat before serving. Top with Asiago Croutons- The More the Better!

Make croutons for the top of the soup by cubing Panera Bread Asiago Loaf into 3/4-inch thick slices.
Butter both sides of those slices, then cut the slices into bite-size cubes.
Bake the bread in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes or until crispy.

http://www.ketv.com/recentrecipes/15377554/detail.html

~~~~~~~~~~

I'm going to leave the croutons out of mine because it's an easy way to get around the extra carbs that I won't really miss - plus I don't feel like going in and buying a whole loaf of their bread (because I'll eat it all). 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Elitist Bitch

• The 12th Cylon
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2009, 10:51:02 PM »

I made chicken fried streak tonight. I'd post a recipe, but the stuff is pretty ubiquitous (at least in my neck of the woods). Delicious. I'm about to uncork a bottle of huckleberry mead for dessert.
Sometimes, you have to roll a hard six.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 07, 2009, 04:40:29 PM »

Joy, did you make the bread you're having with dinner tonight? 
If you did, I'd love a recipe.  If you didn't, I'd like to know where you got such a delicious loaf of goodness.

I did. Used a recipe I use quite often. Learned a lesson Saturday - don't use oat flour in this recipe.
It works great in sandwich breads and soft dinner rolls, but not in this style bread.

1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour (I use 50/50 all purpose & whole wheat)
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Optional:
cornmeal, for baking sheet (parchment paper or non-stick spray works, too)
1 egg white, slightly beaten (For the pretty shiny top - I only do this if I'm baking other things with egg at the same time)
Add ins - chopped roasted garlic, sun dried tomatoes, cheese

Directions - Bread Machine
Add flour, oil, salt, sugar, yeast and water to your bread machine. Use dough setting.
Follow the machine guidelines, and add water or flour to make sure it is the right amount of soft/sticky.
When cycle is done, preheat oven to 375°F. Punch dough down and form into oval or long loaf.
Place on cookie sheet which has been sprinkled with cornmeal.
Cover and let rise for 25 more minutes.
Uncover and slash the top with a sharp knife. Brush all over with the beaten egg white.
Bake 25 minutes to 35 minutes, until hollow sounding when tapped on bottom.

If you're making by hand (which I do on days I need stress relief), proof yeast in warm water with sugar until nice and foamy (10-15 minutes) before mixing with remaining ingredients. Add the dry ingredients gradually - about a cup at a time. Knead for 10 minutes, then place in oiled bowl and cover until it doubles in size. After this, you can pick back up with shaping the loaf from the machine instructions.

---
The tomato soup recipe looks delicious. If I wasn't already set up for Pho tonight, I'd make that instead. If the weather stays cold for another day or two, we'll be ready for another soup night - so maybe Friday, when it's supposed to be rainy.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2009, 04:48:38 PM »

Thanks a bunch!  I'm definitely going to try this out.  I've never made bread before, but this looks relatively fool-proof.  I will be making it by hand because I don't have a bread machine - which is fine, because I always need stress relief and I could use the extra output of energy as it is.   :D
         -George W. Bush

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 07, 2009, 11:48:51 PM »

Boyfriend made the Marlboro Man sandwich for himself this evening: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/marlboro_mans_f/

Only he didn't have cube steak, so he took ground beef and mixed it with 1/2 cup of crushed Kettle chips, and then carefully sliced the "patties" to fry them.  Says it came out great.

Me, I was too full of edamame to have one.  But then, I pretty much don't eat beef except for the very occasional filet mignon or well-made cheeseburger. 

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2009, 11:56:32 PM »

Boyfriend made the Marlboro Man sandwich for himself this evening: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/marlboro_mans_f/

Only he didn't have cube steak, so he took ground beef and mixed it with 1/2 cup of crushed Kettle chips, and then carefully sliced the "patties" to fry them.  Says it came out great.

Me, I was too full of edamame to have one.  But then, I pretty much don't eat beef except for the very occasional filet mignon or well-made cheeseburger. 

Oh wow.  I've been checking out the blog for about an hour tonight, but hadn't looked at this particular recipe even though I know it was linked here before.  It looks pretty delicious - and I don't actually eat a lot of beef either.  Might have to cook that for Jizz next month when I'm in Chi-town and then have a taste of it.  It's way too much for me to eat, but it sure looks good. 
         -George W. Bush

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2009, 12:03:31 AM »

Oh wow.  I've been checking out the blog for about an hour tonight, but hadn't looked at this particular recipe even though I know it was linked here before.  It looks pretty delicious - and I don't actually eat a lot of beef either.  Might have to cook that for Jizz next month when I'm in Chi-town and then have a taste of it.  It's way too much for me to eat, but it sure looks good. 

The recipe says "It’s manly. It’s flavorful. And your man will grunt and daydream about Makita table saws and heavy machinery as he woofs it down."  Make sure that Jizzy knows what a Makita table saw is, so that he can fulfill this requirement.   :)

I think I've had more experience with Makita tools than Boyfriend, to be honest....

Riddler

« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2009, 08:11:08 AM »

what a letdown....i fully expected ground-up cigarettes in this recipe......bunch-a misleading bullshit...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Recipe Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 31 queries.