Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Reasons to Hate Bill Gates and refuse the use Microsoft OS
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reasons to Hate Bill Gates and refuse the use Microsoft OS  (Read 14166 times)

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Reasons to Hate Bill Gates and refuse the use Microsoft OS
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 02:09:36 AM »

You can mock it, but it happens.  It happened to me.  It was pre-activated, but when I added memory and when they changed the video card, it had to get verified again.

Oh, right, well, your hardware signature changes, you have to go through the 10 minute crack process again.  (Or 5 minute if you kept the crack.)  The easiest step of the hardware upgrade process.  (The hardest is not losing the receipt.)  End of the freaking world - it is not.

Your weak take that Apple software, designed for their hardware is somehow hurting someone by making sure it runs only on their hardware, is just that...weak.

A huge part of Apple's revenue is all about getting people to pay for music downloads.  They have no major business services, cloud hosting services, certification, etc.  So, unsurprisingly, Apple is a lot more draconian when it comes to home DRM than Microsoft.

this motherfucker will go DOWN IN HISTORY AS ONE OF THE MOST GENEROUS MOTHERFUCKING (do i repeat myseff....it bears repeatin mahseff.) MOTHERFUCKERS to exist in the history of history.

Stop typing with your prick, prick.  Bill Gates was a good guy when he was making money, but now he's just trying to buy political power, and that makes him dangerous.  But, like I said, Microsoft ain't just Bill Gates - tens of thousands of very smart developers work at Microsoft or partner with it.

You want to worship generosity, worship Hitler and Stalin.  Hitler died for his people dotchyaknow, and Stalin only had one uniform he wore every day.  :roll:

You'd be right, except the part about not showing up at clients' sites with cracked software.  Your additional attacks on Apple (not something I entirely disagree with) disregard the fact that what I said, on both counts, was completely true and accurate.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Alex Libman

• View Profile
    • libman.org
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 06:37:29 PM »

Windows is free as in freedom - read Ayn Rand.

GNU is unfree as in communism - a plot to impose government control of the software industry.

BTW, reminder:  It's World Backup Day.  No matter what OS you run, regular backups are imperative.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 06:46:27 PM by /sbin/libmand »

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 01:27:53 AM »

GNU is unfree as in communism - a plot to impose government control of the software industry.

BTW, reminder:  It's World Backup Day.  No matter what OS you run, regular backups are imperative.

Hmm...GNU, copyleft, Windows, copyright...looks like you have it backward.

Alex Libman

• View Profile
    • libman.org
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 02:27:04 AM »

I guess you haven't been paying attention over the past couple of years as I consistently advocated Copyfree software [6] and documented the harms of Copyleft licensing, and all the anti-capitalist left-wing bull-crap that goes with it.  (Although many corporations have adapted and made a good business model on top of it, mainly to hurt Microsoft - I do always recognize technical and commercial merit where it clearly exists.)

In the meantime, I can't run a 100% pure Copyfree software yet, and I am now in the process of documenting the reasons why it's better to compromise with quality proprietary software than compromise with the commies and their GPL.  (Note to Objectivists: I use the word compromise in a tactical sense, I never compromise ideologically.)

Furthermore, I never paid a penny to any company on the basis of copyright, ever.  I must have "pirated" millions of dollars worth of software within my lifetime.  If I do business with Microsoft or Oracle, it is purely voluntary and based on other incentives that they provide in addition to "intellectual property": certification, online services, platform / "cloud" hosting, hardware bundles, etc, etc, etc.  Proprietary software doesn't need intellectual property enforcement to constitute an effective business model, but Copyleft does.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2011, 02:33:46 AM »

I guess you haven't been paying attention over the past couple of years as I consistently advocated Copyfree software [6] and documented the harms of Copyleft licensing, and all the anti-capitalist left-wing bull-crap that goes with it.  (Although many corporations have adapted and made a good business model on top of it, mainly to hurt Microsoft - I do always recognize technical and commercial merit where it clearly exists.)

In the meantime, I can't run a 100% pure Copyfree software yet, and I am now in the process of documenting the reasons why it's better to compromise with quality proprietary software than compromise with the commies and their GPL.  (Note to Objectivists: I use the word compromise in a tactical sense, I never compromise ideologically.)

Furthermore, I never paid a penny to any company on the basis of copyright, ever.  I must have "pirated" millions of dollars worth of software within my lifetime.  If I do business with Microsoft or Oracle, it is purely voluntary and based on other incentives that they provide in addition to "intellectual property": certification, online services, platform / "cloud" hosting, hardware bundles, etc, etc, etc.  Proprietary software doesn't need intellectual property enforcement to constitute an effective business model, but Copyleft does.

None of this addresses the fact that copyright is monopoly privilege backed by monopoly force.  Copyleft isn't.

Alex Libman

• View Profile
    • libman.org
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 03:28:36 AM »

None this addresses the fact that copyright is monopoly privilege backed by monopoly force.

Government is bad, we've already established that.  But that has nothing to do with Microsoft.  They didn't create the government, and they used to stay out of Washington, which was very unusual for a company their size, and which led to their near-crucifixion in late 1990s.  Government or no government, people still need to get things done and innovate and create jobs in this imperfect world, and Microsoft has done a very good job at that.  Conspiracy theories aside, its market share didn't come from Mommy Government, it came from catering to what the idiot public wants - and there isn't anything wrong with that.  Most of its money comes from hardware bundles, business contracts, and now online services.  Microsoft loses a lot more to government force than it gains from it, a lot more!

Microsoft has donated money to the Cato Institute, which isn't exactly a cheerleader for intellectual property!

Copyleft isn't.

Now you're just being delusional.

It's not about "open source" - proprietary source code can get more eyeballs and be better documented than "open source", and actually be easier to modify without recompiling.  And open source can be so obfuscated it only causes confusion.  Government regulation is what it's clearly all about.  They want the state to control your software, and ultimately, since their economic model is not sustainable, to pay for its development.  Aside from a few moocher companies trying to hurt Microsoft, the vast majority of the most innovative "open source" code is still paid for at tax-victim expense...

Copyleft is a gun, and the anti-capitalist lobbyists can pull the trigger at any time, even against the author's wishes!  I've also demonstrated how the Copyleft lobby is becoming more and more draconian as it gains market share, with GPL v3, AGPL, etc.  It fits every pattern of every other tyrannical government power-grab in history!

Genuinely free open source software is a good thing, and is an inevitable phenomenon of free market capitalism, but Copyleft ain't it.  Copyfree software like OpenBSD can't cut the mustard in client-side computing just yet (and the quality of Copyleft software isn't that much better).  Microsoft fills the client gap just right.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2011, 01:19:18 PM »

Dude, put down the gun.

Alex Libman

• View Profile
    • libman.org
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2011, 01:38:24 PM »

I've had this picture prominent on my little site for a while now:

Think about it.   :lol:

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2011, 04:05:40 PM »

Windows relies upon govt copyright to prosecute those who share the software.

GNU relies upon govt copyright to prosecute those who try to restrict sharing of the software.

Maybe you're just deliberately confusing free, gratis and libre in order to sound like an asshole.

Yes, the BSD license is more permissive than the GPL. Permissive of assholes to be assholes with other people's work is not a good thing.

I prefer the Creative Commons licenses, but that's not what was available at the time.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2011, 11:26:06 PM »

Windows relies upon govt copyright to prosecute those who share the software.

GNU relies upon govt copyright to prosecute those who try to restrict sharing of the software.

Maybe you're just deliberately confusing free, gratis and libre in order to sound like an asshole.

Yes, the BSD license is more permissive than the GPL. Permissive of assholes to be assholes with other people's work is not a good thing.

I prefer the Creative Commons licenses, but that's not what was available at the time.

Thank you for expressing what I apparently miserably failed to.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2011, 03:39:40 PM »

Nonono, I wasn't in any way disparaging what you had said.

I merely consider it something that can't be said too much.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2011, 12:48:23 AM »

Nonono, I wasn't in any way disparaging what you had said.

I merely consider it something that can't be said too much.

I'm saying you nailed it; really.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2011, 11:20:31 AM »

I'm saying you nailed it; really.

Thank you. That is a generous statement, I appreciate it.

While it's fun to bicker and argue, there is only one absolute statement: Use what works for you.

And, since I found that Wizard 101 works under WINE, now I have no reason to have Windows in the house.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Reasons to Hate Bill Gates and refuse the use Microsoft OS

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.