Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Radio Shows
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio Shows  (Read 4064 times)

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

Radio Shows
« on: July 23, 2011, 10:15:13 AM »

Which radio shows do you listen to?

Why do you listen to the radio show (news, humor, host, pop culture)?

What percentage of the time do you agree with the host/hosts (100%,75%,50%)?

Branlin

• View Profile
Re: Radio Shows
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 04:16:21 PM »

Which radio shows do you listen to?

Why do you listen to the radio show (news, humor, host, pop culture)?

What percentage of the time do you agree with the host/hosts (100%,75%,50%)?

I listen to Limbaugh, only because he's pretty good on economics and great at bashing liberals. But I had to turn him off from '04 til Obama won in '08. When a Repub is in the Oval Office, especially when he is invading sovereign nations and passing oppressive legislation like the Patriot Act, free drugs for seniors, etc. I cannot stand listening to him rationalize and defend the president in every move he makes.

Unfortunately for him, he only sees half the problem. Maybe if he untied the other half of his brain he would see that the GOP is every bit as threatening to liberties as the Democrats.

I usually catch an hour or two of FTL most nights. I agree nearly 100% with their politics. The only thing I disagree about is they seem to let a lot of callers ramble on with BORING FUCKING stories that you can predict where they're going. Come on guys, cut these guys off at the knees; you are allowing them to drag an otherwise great show down.

In the mornings I listen to a local "shock jock," a Stern wannabe, who is mildly entertaining, and does a lot of local stuff. But he is a flaming liberal and when he talks politics I find myself yelling at the radio. Haha, not really, I'm too old to get upset anymore.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 04:20:49 PM by Branlin »

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 07:50:52 PM »

I stay away from the right-wing fire breathers, whose main goal is to get a rise out of listeners. Anyway, who has time for AM radio, with it's huge ad blocks sandwiched between tiny bits of show.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 01:53:59 PM »

The first time I heard FTL, I was shocked to hear the hosts saying the same things I had been saying in my home for years.

I listen to FTL to hear news discussed with different views and opinions, and to remind me that I am not alone.

Sometimes, I have to agree to disagree, but I usually agree with FTL 90% (average).  Sometimes, I agree with 100% of the show.

Thank you Mark and Ian for the show.  I like the third host too, and it is nice that so many different personalities and views are welcomed on the show.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:55:57 PM by LoveFreedomAndLiberty »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 02:32:07 PM »

I stay away from the right-wing fire breathers, whose main goal is to get a rise out of listeners. Anyway, who has time for AM radio, with it's huge ad blocks sandwiched between tiny bits of show.

True that. Like 5 minutes of actual show and everything else is ads.

The popular right wing talk show radio hosts are OK every now and then but I turn them off when they talk about prostatist topics or they get called out on their bigotry.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 09:34:32 PM »

I listen mostly to podcasts, but when I do listen to the radio it's usually Glenn Beck. Not because I agree with him much; it's just that his show is the only interesting thing in his time slot.
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 04:38:36 PM »

I listen to any old time radio shows I can find on mp3 or for sale on Amazon (whichever has the most episodes of the best audio quality).
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 11:33:33 PM »

I listen to any old time radio shows I can find on mp3 or for sale on Amazon (whichever has the most episodes of the best audio quality).

Nights on NPR they play some good ones.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

SeanD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 02:12:07 AM »

I listen to the radio for music not talk.  I have enough people talking at me already.  Not to mention the voices in my head.  They really seem to hate competition. :D

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 03:52:33 AM »

Personal music libraries and Spotify, Pandora, etc. are better than radio with its random songs, only playing the hits, playing progressively newer music (10 years ago oldies was 50's and 60's, now its 60's and 70's), commercial breaks, severe weather tests and alerts, DJ interruptions, etc.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 06:32:30 PM »

http://www.zombiepodcast.com/The_Zombie_Podcast/Main.html

Takes a couple/few episodes to warm up to it, but it's good.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 09:48:08 AM »

NPR has some pretty good shows, when they stay away from politics. "Dr. Zorba," for instance, and "Car Talk." "Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me" is pretty entertaining, too. And, no commercials.

But, these are all available on podcasts, and so that's how I listen to them.

If I find myself stuck in the car without my MP3 player, I might listen to Dennis Miller if he's on. At least, try to catch bits him on-air between long commercial blocks. But, I cannot stand Beck, and grew tired of Rush ages ago. Caught him slinging too much bullshit. It's 100% Republican 100% of the time. If Republicans came out in favor of killing babies, Rush would find a way to justify it. (And, in the case of the current wars, has.)

Sean Hannity's pressured speech makes him unlistenable. Savage's rantings are designed to make the blood boil. It's one big, long appeal to emotion, and I don't like what it does to my blood pressure. And, I don't care for his thinly disguised racism. His entire shstick is to make angry white males even angrier on their commute home from work.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 12:30:10 AM »

It's one big, long appeal to emotion, and I don't like what it does to my blood pressure.

QFT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Radio Shows

// ]]>

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 31 queries.