Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Racism
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Racism  (Read 42178 times)

Ecolitan

• View Profile
Re: Racism
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2011, 08:25:38 PM »

The dictionary definition doesn't provide any identifiable traits by which to objectively qualify a race. That's because it can't, and that's because there aren't any. For any of those definitions, there can exist no clear delineation between members of one supposed race and another.

It doesn't tell you how to objectively qualify species of barnacles either but some very boring people assure me they exist.  Cuz we haven't completely figured something out is no reason to say it doesn't exist.  It does exist even if our understanding of it leaves much to be desired.

I don't know EXACTLY why all those naked girls had great skin and narrow eyes but according to google it's cuz they're Asian and just being born on a landmass won't do that.  If my kids were born in china they wouldn't look Asian so it must not be geography or nationality... must be some other word that involves asians... RACE.... that's it.  Because they have an Asian racial heritage, that's why they have slanty eyes.  Can I point to the chromosomes?  No, but I can still tell they're Asian... How is that possible?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:33:58 PM by Ecolitan »

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2011, 08:29:55 PM »

DOES NOT EXIST. If it did, then you could show me one and distinguish it from another.

I can.  Of course the vast majority of us have a lot of different races in us but you can tell what is predominant.  Usually I can tell Semitic people from Caucasians but never persians/arabs/jews.
Seriously?
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2011, 08:36:45 PM »

Not never...  I've never actually tried.

Hey Bob, is that mostly naked girl on that pole Persian or Arab?  Is something I would never have any interest in saying whatsoever.  

So yeah, seriously.  Can't tell a Greek from an Italian either, they all look Mediterranean to me.  It's not like I go thinking about it or practicing.  I can pick out Asian eyes and African noses.  Can't tell one Semite from another to save my life, wouldn't know where to start.  I'm talking about a seriously middle eastern jew.  Not an American/European Jew... I expect Y'all are as mudblood as the rest of us whether you like it or not.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:39:48 PM by Ecolitan »

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2011, 08:39:04 PM »

Not never...  I've never actually tried.

Hey Bob, is that mostly naked girl on that pole Persian or Arab?  Is something I would never have any interest in saying whatsoever. 

So yeah, seriously.  Can't tell a Greek from an Italian either, they all look Mediterranean to me.  It's not like I go thinking about it or practicing.  I can pick out Asian eyes and African noses.  Can't tell one Semite from another to save my life, wouldn't know where to start.
I'm suggesting that it's ridiculous for you to claim that you can tell the difference between an Ashkenazi Jew and any caucasion.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2011, 08:40:34 PM »

Not never...  I've never actually tried.

Hey Bob, is that mostly naked girl on that pole Persian or Arab?  Is something I would never have any interest in saying whatsoever.  

So yeah, seriously.  Can't tell a Greek from an Italian either, they all look Mediterranean to me.  It's not like I go thinking about it or practicing.  I can pick out Asian eyes and African noses.  Can't tell one Semite from another to save my life, wouldn't know where to start.
I'm suggesting that it's ridiculous for you to claim that you can tell the difference between an Ashkenazi Jew and any caucasion.

Yeah, you're right about that.  But in my brain I don't think of them as any more genetically jewish than myself.  If you look like me it is extremely unlikely that more than a small percentage of your ancestry comes from the area known for millenia as Palestine.

The more I think about it I think it's quite possible that there are only 3 mail races Caucasions, Asians, and Africans.  Those 3 seem to be very recognizable with all others possibly being mixtures.  It would made sense with the 3 coming from different corners of the world and meeting in the Mediterranean where neutral features and coloring reign supreme but please, if you'd like to think Semetic peoples have an origin all their own complete with their own God who calls them his "chosen" people that's fine with me, you might be right.  I don't know.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:08:24 PM by Ecolitan »

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2011, 09:27:50 PM »

If there are no races, then there can be no racists.

Viola!

By that logic, if there is no God then there can be no theists.
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2011, 09:36:19 PM »

What you are describing is not race at all. Race, once again, is a social theory which attempts to ascribe biological causes to non-physical differences between peoples. You're only talking about superficial differences here.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2011, 09:39:58 PM »

What you are describing is not race at all. Race, once again, is a social theory which attempts to ascribe biological causes to non-physical differences between peoples. You're only talking about superficial differences here.

And you've yet to come up with a decent word to use as an alternative so if I did things your way I would never talk about it at all.  And....

I see no reason whatsoever that if groups of people can share the same genetic characteristics that effect physical traits they can't also possess the same genetic characteristics that effect brain function and chemistry (thoughts/behavior).  I don't know that they do... but I don't know that they don't either and I'm pretty sure anyone currently alive that tells you he DOES know is a fucking liar.

I'm afraid dude that just like stephanie
entire perspective she's coming from is dogmatically retarded which means she can only reach an accurate conclusion by accident.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:43:33 PM by Ecolitan »

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2011, 09:45:56 PM »

wtf? uh.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2011, 09:47:37 PM »

How about "body type" to describe what somebody's freaking body looks like?

And I've already shown in a previous post how culture (caused by physical environment) is a far more likely explanation for behavior than biology. But you can go on clinging to your ancient collectivist fallacies if you want.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2011, 09:51:05 PM »

Is there any such thing as a non-physical difference?  Are you talking about supernatural mythological type things?  I thought only the jews equated that with race.

And..  I know that no one can precisely define or scientifically demonstrate race to precise detail, not biologically and not "non-physically", but it exists.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2011, 10:11:50 PM »

Intellect and culture have to do with individual choices. Unless you are arguing from a completely deterministic perspective, those are not physical traits.

Pizzly

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2011, 10:15:43 PM »

Intellect and culture have to do with individual choices. Unless you are arguing from a completely deterministic perspective, those are not physical traits.

Why can't intellect be influenced by genetics? Alcoholism and addiction are generally considered to be inheritable, as well as peacefulness and aggression.
Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2011, 10:33:31 PM »

Intellect is distinct from intelligence. Intelligence MAY be influenced by genetics, although the degree to which it can be has never been discovered, and there is a school of thought that all humans share the same basic threshold for mental capacity which can be reached given proper nurturing (and excluding serious defects in the brain, which obviously can be passed on genetically).

But intellect is the practice of using one's mental capacity. That requires a conscious choice. Plenty of intelligent people refuse to think. That is also a choice. Likewise, someone who is born with aggressive tendencies can choose whether to act on them or not (unless, as I said, one is arguing from a deterministic perspective, which I do not).

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2011, 10:39:23 PM »

If there are no races, then there can be no racists.

Viola!

By that logic, if there is no God then there can be no theists.

Not ezactly because one of these things is not like the others. Theists, racists and races have tangible characteristics. "God" is unproven and an extremely abstract notion(depending on ones culture).

It's like saying there is no spaghetti because there is no flying spaghetti monster. We know spaghetti exists, some can only claim that FSM exists.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Racism

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.