Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Questions for the believers
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions for the believers  (Read 18103 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for the believers
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2010, 04:09:27 PM »

as  for string theory

"I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics. " - Richard Feynman, a quantum physicist
I agree.  Quantum mechanics is the thing I hated most in physics and advanced chemistry.  It can be fun to wonder about though, but it is pretty wack.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
  • [ insert awesomely insightful comment here ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2010, 05:16:37 PM »

Celestrians point seemed to be, that if someone said to you that:

"String Theory G-d is nutty cult crap for physicists believers.  I don't buy it."

That it wouldn't be constitute a very good argument.

Score++ for you.  This is the main thrust, but it also goes beyond that which I'll cover in your secondary point.

And that non believers in this thread generally haven't just said "religion is stupid/for stupid people", but have actually tried to engage the religious beliefs with a bit of depth and understanding.

And that it would be nice if it worked both ways.

You touch the other point here, and part of it the response the such a statement from the non-religious would receive.  The typical response to "G-d is wacky crap," is generally one of (understandable) anger and indignation for the Ad Hominem based [counter]argument.

My point was that these statements seem to be the very kinds of arguments that I have often heard rejected by the religious as overtly pernicious and off-point, and were the positions reversed - the individuals making these statements might not take too kindly to them.

Saying that,
You're right that its not proven, but it doesn't mean that it can't be, and that there isn't interesting work being done in String theory.

Although I'm not sure Celestrian was making a point beyond this.

Nope - like my position on God, I make no statements of fact concerning the validity of String Theory, merely was used to point out another potential viewpoint held by some, that "another brick" in their wall of faith was the fact that despite all of the things/processes that science claims to have solved, there are still "gaps" in our understanding (ex. pre-big bang) - hence the "God of the Gaps" position.

For the record, as a Strong Agnostic, my position is I have no position, but will gladly follow anyone down the path of exploration to determine what my position might be.

There was theory for black holes long before any physical evidence.

Absolutely, and this does touch an interesting consequent; there is an ultimate, factual answering the existence or lack thereof of God; either He/She/It exists or He/She/It doesn't.
- Branden
[ insert amazingly cool liberty-oriented witticism of your choice here ]

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2010, 05:22:41 PM »

"Nope - like my position on God, I make no statements of fact concerning the validity of String Theory, merely was used to point out another potential viewpoint held by some, that "another brick" in their wall of faith was the fact that despite all of the things/processes that science claims to have solved, there are still "gaps" in our understanding (ex. pre-big bang) - hence the "God of the Gaps" position."

I urge you when you free time to watch the video posted on the Universe is flat and came out of "nothing".  An interesting perspective you should view.  Seems more believable than string theory.  The guy talks about string theory too.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2010, 06:24:42 PM »

Absolutely, and this does touch an interesting consequent; there is an ultimate, factual answering the existence or lack thereof of God; either He/She/It exists or He/She/It doesn't.

What makes you think that there's only one god though?
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2010, 06:32:29 PM »

What makes you think that there's only one god though?

Excellent point.  Merely because it is the most talked about model of theism in our contemporary context.  Feel free to replace singular pronouns with plural ones if it suits your purposes better. :)
- Branden

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2010, 11:08:31 PM »

I urge you when you free time to watch the video posted on the Universe is flat and came out of "nothing".  An interesting perspective you should view.  Seems more believable than string theory.  The guy talks about string theory too.

I will do so now and respond accordingly, even if just to let you know my initial impressions.

edit:  I just finished watching it - very interesting and compelling.  Let me think on it overnight before providing more detail on my impressions in its thread.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:16:02 AM by theCelestrian »
- Branden

gibson042

• Non-Aggression Principal since 2006
    • View Profile
    • gibson.mp
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2010, 12:09:04 AM »

I will do so now and respond accordingly, even if just to let you know my initial impressions.

I liked the video. It provided a new perspective on some aspects of cosmology. And the ideas are even more powerful when combined with concepts like Wick rotation and imaginary time, in the light of which even an initial Big Bang "singularity" becomes just another point along a smooth phase transition between 4-dimensional Euclidean space and (3,1)-dimensional Lorentzian spacetime. It is entirely possible that we live within some portion of a 5 (or more) dimensional manifold that just happens to have the emergent property of "time". I wish I were smart enough to convey it graphically.
"WOOOOOP  WOOOOOP  WOOOOP EH EH EH EH HHHEEEOOOO HEEEOOOOO" —Rillion

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2010, 09:32:08 PM »

[youtube=425,350]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i6sdpc8stqI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i6sdpc8stqI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2010, 10:27:37 PM »

I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

blackie

« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2010, 10:27:53 PM »

[youtube=425,350]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i6sdpc8stqI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i6sdpc8stqI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]
I hate the Hebrews too.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2010, 10:32:07 PM »

........and?

Hint: that video is a parody.  If you honestly don't see the problem with that line of thinking, then kill yourself now. 

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2010, 01:21:03 AM »

All that hatred can't be good.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2010, 01:39:14 AM »

Hint: that video is a parody.  If you honestly don't see the problem with that line of thinking, then kill yourself now. 

Did you get your PhD in art history or linguistics? Is it in an academically challenging field, because sometimes I wonder about you.

I know when I see parody, even when poorly done. If you amuse yourself with strawmen arguments, and simmer about what other people think about, then so be it.

If you're going to point out said strawman to irk me or whatever, you can go fuck yourself.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2010, 09:32:24 AM »

Did you get your PhD in art history or linguistics? Is it in an academically challenging field, because sometimes I wonder about you.

I know when I see parody, even when poorly done. If you amuse yourself with strawmen arguments, and simmer about what other people think about, then so be it.

If you're going to point out said strawman to irk me or whatever, you can go fuck yourself.

Point being: OT God was fucked up, no matter which way you swing it.  No rationalization can redeem him.  No straw man is necessary-- he is the straw man.  I apologize for suggesting that you kill yourself, but obvious sadistic God is obvious.   And it does genuinely irritate me to hear people apply apologetics to him as if he is their alcoholic father. 

(This forum, by the way, is intended by me strictly for recreation.  When it's fun to be calm, rational, and thoughtful, I will be.  When it's fun to be caustic and bitchy, I will be.  Fair warning.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 09:35:14 AM by Rillion »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2010, 04:31:19 PM »

Point being: OT God was fucked up, no matter which way you swing it.  No rationalization can redeem him.  No straw man is necessary-- he is the straw man.  I apologize for suggesting that you kill yourself, but obvious sadistic God is obvious.   And it does genuinely irritate me to hear people apply apologetics to him as if he is their alcoholic father. 

(This forum, by the way, is intended by me strictly for recreation.  When it's fun to be calm, rational, and thoughtful, I will be.  When it's fun to be caustic and bitchy, I will be.  Fair warning.)

It would be great to be a fed, getting paid to do this :P
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Questions for the believers

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 33 queries.