Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Question for Athiests Part II
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for Athiests Part II  (Read 4482 times)

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
Question for Athiests Part II
« on: August 01, 2011, 12:12:43 PM »

Is there any situation where you can defend any position other than materialism (philosophy of the mind) as an atheist?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materialism

If a person hold that there is no spiritual world, then I see no alternative besides this position.

This is not the subject for the thread, however. What I want to know is how you view the onset of death.
From a few articles I've read recently in (I think) Scientific American) and a few other magazines about people with locked-in syndrome. Some with similar serious physical ailments that prevented them from having any form of consciousness who woke up years later reported their time without consciousness was like sleep.

Your thoughts?

I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

SeanD

• View Profile
Re: Question for Athiests Part II
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 02:15:34 PM »

Denying FSM (or God) does not mean denying the spiritual world.  I know atheists that believe in ghosts.  I also know devout people that say ghosts can't exist because you can only go to Heaven or Hell when you die and can't stick around as a ghost.

Pizzly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 02:17:47 PM »

Don't know much about materialism, but I can answer the second question. I imagine dying would be a lot like going to sleep. A better description of what death would be like is ask yourself what it was like before you were born.
Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 02:32:41 PM »

A better description of what death would be like is ask yourself what it was like before you were born.

+1

This is why im not afraid of death.

Also, it is why I dont look down on people who commit suicide. If life sucks to that extent, why continue? The only thing I dont understand about suicide though, would be that if your life sucks so bad, why not just leave your shitty situation behind and head on down to South America or somewhere like that, and start over with a new life. Its the perfect excuse. If that fails, sure, end it.

Having said that, I'd much rather be around to have fun and experience things, given the choice. Once death comes though, that choice wont matter much to you. It only matters now.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:36:57 PM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 05:20:04 AM »

Denying FSM (or God) does not mean denying the spiritual world.  I know atheists that believe in ghosts.  I also know devout people that say ghosts can't exist because you can only go to Heaven or Hell when you die and can't stick around as a ghost.
that's freaking stupid. So is "spiritualism". 
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 10:22:35 AM »

I may start wishing I was a atheist before this thread is over. Just out of curiosity why is spiritualism or ghosts stupider than any other religious belief?

SeanD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 03:51:13 PM »

Thank you for constructively adding to this thread. :roll:

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 04:34:18 PM »

from my Jesus freak days:  [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6KE7mLAPug[/youtube]

Why can't we all just admit it?  Nobody fuckin knows!

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 04:47:25 PM »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5HNGDmUWio&feature=related[/youtube]

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 05:15:59 PM »

A better description of what death would be like is ask yourself what it was like before you were born.

+1

Also, it is why I dont look down on people who commit suicide. If life sucks to that extent, why continue? The only thing I dont understand about suicide though, would be that if your life sucks so bad, why not just leave your shitty situation behind and head on down to South America or somewhere like that, and start over with a new life. Its the perfect excuse. If that fails, sure, end it.

Having said that, I'd much rather be around to have fun and experience things, given the choice. Once death comes though, that choice wont matter much to you. It only matters now.

I agree - I'd do some audacious stuff before I checked out.  Like robbing a big bank, jumping a rail to north or south, get coke crazy... etc.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 05:20:11 PM »

+1

Exactly. Like Fred says, who hasnt wanted to just grab a train as it goes by and just see where it goes? Why wouldnt you in that case? I think its because suicidal people generally get stuck in a narrow vision of their world where they cant look in upon themselves and realize they are just a bunch of cells stuck together, might as well do with them as you want.

Oh and death, just your brain not firing electricity around anymore. Those "lack of conciousness" people are just people whose brains arent firing electrically in all the areas they should be. They arent -experiencing- anything from that part of the brain so when they say what it felt like, well it didnt feel like anything did it?
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »

Fred and Quickmike should start a suicide help line.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 05:33:55 PM »

don't think I could handle that - I mean, who'd counsel me?

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 06:26:03 PM »

Guess all those bank robberies and hobo's hopping trains would be depressing.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 08:47:43 PM »

Fred and Quickmike should start a suicide help line.

Yeah, I can hear it in my head right now.

Caller - "Yeah, umm, hi Mike. Lifes been a real bummer lately. Lost my job, my wife, my health is going downhill fast. I just dont see things getting better and im thinking about ending it all, for good."

Mike - "Eww shit, that sucks bigtime. Yeah, your deal doesn't sound like something that has a way out of it. I say cash in your chips. Fuck it!"

*CLICK*

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:51:32 PM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Question for Athiests Part II

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.