Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Publishing Bad Debts At Porcfest 2010
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Publishing Bad Debts At Porcfest 2010  (Read 3065 times)

alecmuller

Publishing Bad Debts At Porcfest 2010
« on: May 17, 2010, 09:27:27 PM »

I'm tired of listening to people preach personal responsibility while they owe me money and can't be bothered to make regular payments.

I'm so tired of sob stories and empty promises, in fact, that I'm putting together a flier to include in each of the welcome packets at Porcfest this year to list accusations of bad debt.  I hate doing this - I'd rather get paid, and I'd rather not embarrass people - but there aren't any alternatives that make more sense to me.

Please forward this to anyone you think might be interested in putting someone's name on this list – or getting their own name off of it.

The format is simple - anyone who knows me can submit an accusation for the flier that looks something like one of these:

• Alec Muller claims that ABC DEFGHI owes him $2,255, has not made any payments since April 2009 (~14 months), and seems to perpetually have just had something bad happen when asked to make payments.
  • Alec Muller claims that JKL MNOPQR owes him $440, has only paid $30 since February 2009 (~16 months), and always promises to make payments "real soon" that don't materialize.

Restrictions on what I'm willing to print:
(If you disagree with these restrictions you're welcome to print your own flier)
  • Absolutely no threats of violence.
  • The accusation must be received or retracted by 6/16/2010 at 11:59pm EST to allow for printing and envelope-stuffing time.
  • Can't exceed 200 characters including spaces.  No curse words.
  • For clarity's sake, use the format “Accuser Name claims that Deadbeat Name . . .”, and include actual names for both people.
  • The person making the claim must contact me directly.  Email the text of the accusation, give me a phone number and a good time to call you, and I'll verbally confirm that want me to print it.  I won't print things from someone I don't know unless someone introduces me to them, and I won't print an accusation from anyone who doesn't personally stand behind it.

Guidelines
  • The goal here is to use the threat of humiliation to encourage people to keep their promises.  Put another way, “Kept promises” = Goal; “Threat of humiliation” = Tool, and don't confuse them.
  • Don't surprise the person you're going to accuse; – tell them you're planning on doing it and give them time to start paying you (and retract it if they're making satisfactory progress).
  • A secondary goal is to warn other potential lenders so they don't unknowingly subsidize people who don't keep promises.
  • Be honest (i.e. do warn others to expect a sob story or “the check's in the mail” if you know 1st-hand to expect it with this person), but don't be vindictive – that just makes you look like a jerk.
  • This is for “bad” debt, not “any” debt.  If you've agreed to a payment plan with them and they've stuck to it, that's not “bad” debt.  If you've kept bugging them and they refuse a payment plan or keep promising to pay soon and never do, then it's “bad” debt.
  • Remember that you're taking a risk when you make a claim like this; if you claim something and don't have any evidence to back it up, someone can easily accuse you of lying.
  • I'm putting a disclaimer on the flier that says: “I have checked to ensure that the accuser is the person they claim to be, but I don't guarantee the veracity of their claims.”
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:57:33 PM by alecmuller »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
Re: Publishing Bad Debts At Porcfest 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:08:22 AM »

Moral of the story, stop loaning money, at least without collateral.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:12:20 AM »

landlord
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 03:41:44 AM »

Ahahaha, this is awesome.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

davann

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 01:31:22 PM »

Hows that free state project thing working out?

ForumTroll

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 01:36:22 PM »

So you're not going to live up to your obligation as a First 1000 signer?

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 02:14:33 PM »

landlord

Did you evict them and keep their security deposit?
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

blackie

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 02:18:32 PM »

The First 1000 signers were supposed to move to NH by the end of 2008.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:31:42 PM by blackie »

davann

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 02:21:29 PM »

Nope, been explained and have asked to be removed a long time ago. Plus, who would want to live near the type of dead beat freaks this is attracting?

Edit: If I remember correctly I asked to be removed prior to the deadline. About the time the housing market crashed and I would be unable to get out of my home.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:23:08 PM by davann »

ForumTroll

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 02:22:21 PM »

Nope, been explained and have asked to be removed a long time ago. Plus, who would want to live near the type of dead beat freaks this is attracting?

The First 1000 signers where supposed to move to NH by the end of 2008.

Whatever gives him an excuse, I guess.

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 02:38:01 PM »

You mean the Freestate Project doesn't include FREE rent?
WTF?

Count me out too.

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 02:41:16 PM »

I'm sure you will find a lot lower percentage of debt beats in NH than most parts of the US.  Of course, you almost certainly already know that.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

davann

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 02:48:39 PM »

The First 1000 signers where supposed to move to NH by the end of 2008.

Whatever gives him an excuse, I guess.

What ever. It seems unlike some free staters I have financial obligations that I feel I should take care of. I don’t have the luxury to spend afternoons getting high and flashing my tits instead of making some money. While that would be fun it just seems more important to live up to my, prior to the free state project promise, responsibilities. If you don’t appreciate my behavior come egg my house. I’ll get the message.

davann

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 02:50:18 PM »

I'm sure you will find a lot lower percentage of debt beats in NH than most parts of the US.  Of course, you almost certainly already know that.

No, I did not know that. Any figures on the Keene/Hippy commune area?

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 03:15:24 PM »

The Freak-staters in the Kommune of Keene are not the Free State Project.

Some of them are FSP participants. I daresay the majority of FSPers do not consider bullhorning at pumpkin fest to be anything they'd want any part of, either.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Publishing Bad Debts At Porcfest 2010

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 31 queries.