Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Proud to be a bigot and intolerant
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proud to be a bigot and intolerant  (Read 2689 times)

Tom Foppiano

• View Profile
Proud to be a bigot and intolerant
« on: July 28, 2011, 04:31:43 PM »

Google definitions....
Intolerant - Not tolerant of others' views, beliefs, or behavior that differ from one's own.
Bigoted - Obstinately convinced of the superiority or correctness of one's own opinions and prejudiced against those who hold different opinions.

I am a bigot and very intolerant. I am intolerant of the view that the state taking my money at the point of a gun is somehow different from theft. I am bigoted because I believe that people own their bodies.

I think that it is unfair to use these words against others with whom we disagree, as liberty lovers are very bigoted and intolerant. It seems that people who use these words simply mean, “You are a bigot because you disagree with me.” Maybe we liberty types are the bigots? I think so.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:34:01 PM by Tom Foppiano »
It might not be very big around, but it sure is short!

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
Re: Proud to be a bigot and intolerant
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 05:52:26 PM »

I am a bigot and very intolerant. I am intolerant of the view that the state taking my money at the point of a gun is somehow different from theft. I am bigoted because I believe that people own their bodies.

That sounds like the only thing you're intolerant of is actual intolerance.  Statism is fueled by intolerance and a desire to control others.  Being tolerant only makes sense if you actually stop at tolerating intolerance.  Otherwise it is paradoxical.  Statists have no problem with paradoxes and inconsistencies in general.  They have elaborate mechanisms for dealing with cognitive dissonance.

I doubt you're a bigot either.  If you're like most libertarians (small-l), then you took a lot of convincing to get there.  If you seem to be, it might just be because you're not hearing any good, logical points that might change your views.  Even after becoming a libertarian, I'm still constantly looking at things from a new perspective when such perspectives are effectively presented.

I think a bigot better describes someone who's stuck in a particular viewpoint, maybe due to arbitrary faith or taboos that are well integrated into their personalities from long-term conditioning, and blocks out any logical arguments that might create cognitive dissonance for them, obstinantly failing to even consider new perspectives, even when presented logically and backed by substantial evidence.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 07:21:21 AM »

I don't think taking words that generally have a bad vibe, and self identifying with them by the dictionary definition has any practical purpose.

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 08:35:24 AM »

OMG what a fucking dork. 
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Tom Foppiano

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 05:40:20 PM »

I don't think taking words that generally have a bad vibe, and self identifying with them by the dictionary definition has any practical purpose.

Like calling one's self an anarchist? Or secessionist? Pacifist?

I was simple trying to point out that terms like bigoted (Obstinately convinced of the superiority or correctness of one's own opinions and prejudiced against those who hold different opinions) don't describe anything special. It seems to me that people intend bigot to mean, "...someone who doesn't agree with me."

But, I've been wrong before and will certainly be wrong again.
It might not be very big around, but it sure is short!

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 08:27:52 PM »

Definitions of obstinate:
stubborn: determined not to agree with other people's wishes or accept their suggestions

. unreasonably determined to have one's own way; not yielding to reason or plea; stubborn; dogged; mulish

Here's your kickers ^^^: Unreasonably, not yielding to reason, mulish, contradictory.

Also, as long as others aren't imposing upon you, they have every right to have differing opinions, even if they're incorrect.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 08:29:42 PM by LTKoblinsky »

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

Riddler

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 08:04:37 AM »

.....are you ok w/ niggers & chinks?
just testing
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Proud to be a bigot and intolerant

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.