Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Prop 19 (cali)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Prop 19 (cali)  (Read 5249 times)

inane

• View Profile
Prop 19 (cali)
« on: November 02, 2010, 10:34:09 PM »

Voting on prop 19 occurred today. i didn't vote. How about you?
I just couldn't bring myself to take part in all the nonsense.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:49:56 PM by inane »
Astrology is as vacuous as the space it worships.
-Perry DeAngelis

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
Re: Prop 19 (cali)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:58:49 PM »

Of all the elections Prop 19 had to have been the most significant.  It would have been far reaching.  A direct indication that the people had had enough of the stupid drug war.  What a shame people were apathetic to an issue which has global implications. 

I wonder how long it will take to draft another legalization proposition in California.  It isn't an easy task to get a proposition on the ballot from what I understand. 

Txoria

• Bakearen Txoria
  • I am not a number, I am a person!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 12:05:53 AM »

Wow, that felt like a colossal waste of time.

19 fails and Dennis loses to the wicked witch by a wide margin.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 02:34:54 AM »

Meh, if it won, they would have been taxing and regulating their way to sustaining bigger government in California anyway.

Txoria

• Bakearen Txoria
  • I am not a number, I am a person!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 11:13:11 AM »

Meh, if it won, they would have been taxing and regulating their way to sustaining bigger government in California anyway.
I would have preferred that to the continuation of caging nonviolent people that partake in related activities.

The Muslim Agorist

• FTL Creative Team
  • Join the Counter Economy
    • View Profile
    • The San Francisco Muslim Examiner
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 11:17:50 AM »

This is CA, since when was anything ever settled by a Proposition. Just look at Prop 8 (Gay Marriage). This will come up again and again, then when it passes it will be resisted in the court.

Access to marijuana will not change either way, and if the cops can't bust you for plants, they'll find some other stupid reason to do it.

You didn't think they would actually reduce police budgets did you?

This was the only proposition that I cared about.
"The Greatest Jihad is to speak a word of truth in the face of a tyrant."
~Prophet Muhammad

I'm tired of Repeating Myself

Branlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 11:21:25 AM »

I would have preferred that to the continuation of caging nonviolent people that partake in related activities.

I've run across so-called "freedom lovers" over the years who say, "legalize, tax and regulate it."

My first question to them is "Why tax and regulate? Do you think the government NEEDS more money and power?"

This is always the starting point, no matter who I talk to. It is like a mantra. But why not start out with simply "Legalize it"? At least let the statists fight a LITTLE bit about taxing and regulating. If pot were ever legalized, they would likely win the taxing and regulating points anyway, but I wouldn't just hand it over to them at the beginning without a fight.

Freedom_Man

• I hate tyrants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 11:42:25 AM »

Taxed or untaxed it would still be a slap in the face to the federal government. It would have been a state wide non-medical use law that would have been telling the feds to go take a hike.

I would vote for any law that would decriminalize 'weed,' cocoa leaf, and/or any other illegal whole plants.

It's the refined products that are sold on the streets that bothers me.
What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right

While a peaceful revolution would be best I am afraid the regaining of our rights may require bloodshed. Â

Branlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 11:55:31 AM »

Taxed or untaxed it would still be a slap in the face to the federal government. It would have been a state wide non-medical use law that would have been telling the feds to go take a hike.

Yes, I was waiting to see this battle go forward between Cali and DC. It would have been very, very interesting.

I bet a lot of tyrants in DC are breathing a sigh of relief today, because it could have gotten ugly. Not that they wouldn't have enjoyed asserting their power over the states, but they don't need more political turmoil right now. From my point of view, "Bring it on!" Let the shit hit the fan.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 04:42:12 PM »

"Its because old fucks vote."

-Stanhope

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 04:54:33 PM »

Prop 19 would have helped with the legalize Industrial Hemp movement.  http://www.dailypaul.com/node/133438
Already has been purposed in congress an prop 19 would have been enough of an indicator to get a vote on this.  
I don't know if it was the get out the rest home vote or if the young people have become apathetic which cause prop 19 to fail.

Maybe Jerry Brown will get the CA legislature to back industrial hemp or legalization.  He would become the most popular governor of California ever if it did.  FDR was a total economic wreck but was wildly popular because he ended prohibition.  

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 05:29:44 PM »

My point is that it was would have been more of a trade-off than a win...and possibly, a faustian bargain anyway.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:33:49 PM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

inane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 12:03:05 AM »

Taxed or untaxed it would still be a slap in the face to the federal government.

Yes but it would go a long way to legitimize the idea of government. 
-Perry DeAngelis

inane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 12:31:44 AM »

honestly Im surprised it didn't pass.
-Perry DeAngelis

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 01:02:57 AM »

Maybe Jerry Brown will get the CA legislature to back industrial hemp or legalization.

Not  likely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW8UlY8eXCk
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Prop 19 (cali)

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 33 queries.