Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Promoting liberty in my school.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Promoting liberty in my school.  (Read 3234 times)

Skooma

Promoting liberty in my school.
« on: January 19, 2006, 01:14:33 AM »

The school newspaper is running a spread on Bush's spy programme. I heard about it and intend to write an article from a pro-freedom pro-small government (libertararian is what I shall call myself, musn't introduce too many new ideas at once and overload the proles) perspective on it. Which is certainly prefereable IMO to the usual YaY Conservatives/Liberals that is usually there (Aside from the irrelavant nonsense that is usually present in school publication).
Suggestions on how I might sneak in a plug for FTL and the FSP? Perhaps somethings to include? It is due Friday.

Also, I regularly start debates in history  in which I promote liberty and good things like that, and usually win too.

I may not be able to give the 3 bucks a month to AMP the show, so I'll do the next best thing and spread the message myself.

bushwacker

Re: Promoting liberty in my school.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 03:09:50 AM »

Are you in HS, college, what? Knowing this makes a big difference :D

Firam

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 07:28:40 PM »

Totally unrealated but skooma really should be legalized. Maybe I'll start a informing the residents tof Vvardenfell of their oppression.

sfliberty

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 07:58:19 PM »

FSP?  Snoops around on the FSP Boards and see if someone will give you a quote.  According to Granny Granger, a member of the Free State Project, "Bush if an a-hole"
FTL?  Maybe get a show host to give a quote? or get a quote from one of their shows that they talked about the issue on?

Skooma

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 08:12:02 PM »

Are you in HS, college, what? Knowing this makes a big difference :D

High school. But this is one of the more lasiezz faire schools Ive ever heard of, and its public in the Los Angeles district.

FSP?  Snoops around on the FSP Boards and see if someone will give you a quote.  According to Granny Granger, a member of the Free State Project, "Bush if an a-hole"
FTL?  Maybe get a show host to give a quote? or get a quote from one of their shows that they talked about the issue on?

I was thinking of dropping pluggage, like "thankfully experiments such as the Free State Project..." . Quotes are unnessicary and probably counter productive. I am arguing against Bush's spy programme, not indoctrinating people to Libertarianism, I intend for them to get curious and wonder what the hell Libertarian means and look for it on their own.

Totally unrealated but skooma really should be legalized. Maybe I'll start a informing the residents tof Vvardenfell of their oppression.

Skooma practically IS legal. Guards just walk past piles of Moon Sugar (Skooma's non-synthesised version), Skooma itself, and the pipes for it.

Funny thing about it, the government in Vvardenfell doesn't do anything about it, but merchants refuse to do business with you if you have it. This may be some kind of law, but it could very well be an example of individual merchants and store owners refusing services and policing themselves. The free market at work.

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 02:47:51 AM »

:lol:
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

Firam

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 02:30:52 PM »

Quote from: Skooma
Skooma practically IS legal. Guards just walk past piles of Moon Sugar (Skooma's non-synthesised version), Skooma itself, and the pipes for it.

Funny thing about it, the government in Vvardenfell doesn't do anything about it, but merchants refuse to do business with you if you have it. This may be some kind of law, but it could very well be an example of individual merchants and store owners refusing services and policing themselves. The free market at work.

I can't remember doesn't skooma/moon sugar get confiscated when you get arrested? But maybe you are right the merchants must be boycotting either moon sugar or the Khajit.

You can't walk through Vivec or Molag Mar without being told by the Ordinators that they are watching you. In outer areas the government has some presence Caldara, Gnsis, Ebonheart and the various castles but they seem unmotivated to help (can’t count the times I’ve been battling a monster and the guard just watches). In fact security is mostly handled by the controlling guild in the town. The continent of Vvardenfell is mostly wilderness and now that I look at it the government doesn’t really have too much control. When you do meet imperials (government) they act tough and in control but like I said they have little visible presence and limited numbers as for the Ordinators which are part of the government have a lot of confidence but have a strong presence in Vivec and Molag Mar.

So in retrospect Vvardenfell has quite a bit of liberty except in the larger cities where there seems to be a large police/government presence. And yes I'm a big Morrowind fan.

fourthgeek

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 09:35:41 PM »

Well, as it were, Skooma and Moon Sugar are illegal, but only confiscated when you are searched.

So the best tactic is to drop everything you own, pay the small fine, then pick everything you own back up. Then there are no worries of having your stolen items returned to their owners, nor your illegal substances confiscated.

In all reality, the illegality is just for roleplay. They seem to have no issue with walking past a pile of 200 skooma bottles that I drop next to them on the road!

Ah, liberty!

*crosses fingers for Oblivion*

By the way, how about administering Operation Politically Homeless? I'm trying that at my school.

bushwacker

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 10:19:22 PM »

What are these skooma and moon sugar things? Some kind of pcp derivative?

Skooma

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 11:17:56 PM »

Skooma and its unrefined form of moon sugar are narcotics in the PC and XBOX game Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind.

It is popular among humaniod felines known as Khajiit, a good portion of whom are enbondaged on the island of Vvardenfel.

Vvardenfel (Morrowind?) is also the only province in the nation of Tamriel to still practice slavery.

TN_FSP

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 12:40:07 AM »

Skooma and its unrefined form of moon sugar are narcotics in the PC and XBOX game Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind.

It is popular among humaniod felines known as Khajiit, a good portion of whom are enbondaged on the island of Vvardenfel.

Vvardenfel (Morrowind?) is also the only province in the nation of Tamriel to still practice slavery.

That's some fucked up shit.  I used to love playing video games.  :(

Skooma

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 05:01:29 PM »

That's some fucked up shit.  I used to love playing video games.  :(

You can free most or possibly all of the enslaved in the game, although this is mostly role played on your part as once their free they just stand there where you found them for all eternity.

Seeing is how the new one takes place in Cyrodill, a province in which slavery is illegal, this is no longer possible. So freeing slaves can't be done and you can't see them run into the sunset towards freedom with the new AI engine like you should have in Morrowind.

bushwacker

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 01:45:13 AM »

Wow games are really getting reaslistic these days then! :D

Skooma

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 11:57:18 PM »

Success! The article was published, and Ive recieved praise from both students and teachers. Unfortunatly the distribution of the paper wasn't as great as it was and I don't expect many to read the section pertaining to anything serious.

I'll type it up here tommarow or something.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Promoting liberty in my school.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 32 queries.