Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Programming Project Idea to help FTL monetarily: Need your thoughts.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Programming Project Idea to help FTL monetarily: Need your thoughts.  (Read 4075 times)

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile

So, I've had this idea rattling around in my head for a while, and I want to put it out there to get everyone's thoughts.

The idea is this: I would like to see some browser addons / plugins be created that redirect forgetful people like myself through the FTL gateways for sites like Amazon, NewEgg, etc.

That way if you go to amazon.com it instead redirects you through amazon.freetalklive.com (at least once)

This would be useful for people like myself who are forgetful, and also for some to install on family member's computers that would be willing to help out, but would NEVER remember. This could potentially generate a lot of money for FTL (or it could be too much of a burden for anyone to download and install software and be a total black hole of an idea)

It also opens up a potentially shady useage of having people install it convertly on a bunch of computers which is probably not good...

I think however, that most people would just use it to force themselves to remember and to enlist the help of family and friends...

What do you think?

"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance

Good idea for a virus :twisted:

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile

Or a virus is a good way to get is booted out of those affiliate programs :-/
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin

Browser helper objects are evil. :)

User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance

I call BS.
Lazarus has saved my ass many times.

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin

I call BS.

I do hope a hacker never finds out you have everything you ever wrote in your browsers history and cache.I hope you dont fill out your bank passwords with that enabled.

Alex Libman

A URL replacement add-on is very easy to implement for one browser, but a pain in the ass to implement for all of them.  A simpler 30-second solution would be to just offer an OpenSearch add-on (ex. Mycroft).  One could even design a "Shop FSP" site that would combine API's from Amazon, FTL's other sponsors, FSP-member eBay sellers, etc, etc, etc...

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile

A URL replacement add-on is very easy to implement for one browser, but a pain in the ass to implement for all of them.  A simpler 30-second solution would be to just offer an OpenSearch add-on (ex. Mycroft).  One could even design a "Shop FSP" site that would combine API's from Amazon, FTL's other sponsors, FSP-member eBay sellers, etc, etc, etc...

There MIGHT be good ideas here... but the concept being presented in this thread is a request to make things simpler... not more complicated. Also, having to go to a website COMPLETELY defeats the purpose of the initial idea.

Also, I sure as hell am not going to replace my search engine, so, I think that needs to go back to the drawing board.

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin

This could work as a plugin not something like a toolbar which just pisses people off.You could prompt people to install it when they visit the ftl website for the first time.This needs a checkbox to say it wont keep asking you each time you go to the website or it will get annoying.

The hard work is programming a plugin for all the browsers but it is possible.You just have to make it not spam people.

slayerboy

• Untitled
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile

An easy solution?

Edit your hosts file

In Windows:
http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/
#<shortcut-examples>
# As well by specifying the ipaddress of a server, you can gain access
#   to some of your favourite sites with a single letter, instead of
#   using the whole domain name
# It is perhaps a better solution to use Favourites/Bookmarks instead.
216.34.181.45   s        # slashdot.org
64.233.187.104   g        # google.com
#</shortcut-examples>

In Linux:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/securing/chap9sec95.html
208.164.186.1      deep.openna.com       deep
208.164.186.2      mail.openna.com       mail
208.164.186.3      web.openna.com       web

So on my systems with linux I'd save in my /etc/hosts file:
Code: [Select]
208.94.147.65         amazon.freetalklive.com          amazon

And then I'd technically be able to just type in amazon in my browser and it should connect to amazon.freetalklive.com

Not a pretty solution, but better than a browser add-on. 

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance

I call BS.

I do hope a hacker never finds out you have everything you ever wrote in your browsers history and cache.I hope you dont fill out your bank passwords with that enabled.
FWIW, I use it for work, when filling out long web forms, and when writing blog and Forum posts.
I disable it for banking, ETrade, etc.
I do have some clue, dude

Alex Libman

Re: Programming Project Idea to help FTL monetarily: Need your thoughts.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 10:47:13 AM »

I don't see why no one liked my search idea.  In Chrome / Chromium it should be as simple as going to Options > Search > Manage and adding this URL:

Code: [Select]
http://www.amazon.com/s/tag=freetalklive-20&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=%s

It can also be set up via JavaScript.  I'm not positive if that URL works though, it could depend on some anal Amazon tracking thing.  Does anyone know a way to test it?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 10:49:58 AM by Alex Libman »

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 04:13:35 AM »

Obnoxious thread-killing debate scrubbed, and thread bumped. Now we can resume this discussion.

Again, I think plugins are the best idea - it's a set it and forget it sort of thing... however - I like the hosts file idea....

Although, if you made hosts point amazon.com to amazon.freetalklive.com which points BACK to amazon.com - wouldn't that make some kind of endless loop?

slayerboy

• Untitled
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 02:36:24 AM »

Obnoxious thread-killing debate scrubbed, and thread bumped. Now we can resume this discussion.

Again, I think plugins are the best idea - it's a set it and forget it sort of thing... however - I like the hosts file idea....

Although, if you made hosts point amazon.com to amazon.freetalklive.com which points BACK to amazon.com - wouldn't that make some kind of endless loop?

I'm pretty sure the HOSTS file bypasses DNS, so I don't think it would loop.  But then again, that's a pain in the ass and not user-friendly either.  Not to mention, the HOSTS file is used more for blocking sites than anything else.

I think the plugin would be easier.  Get a demographic of what browsers people use the most to come here and then design a plugin for that browser and then maybe the 2nd most popular browser.

I'd love to see it not be just the affiliate links, but also include the fancy javascript bookmarklet that allows people to submit stuff to FTL easier.  Maybe even add a section of links to advertisers.

I hate toolbars, but maybe doing something with startpage (are they even an advertiser anymore?) to get a custom toolbar. Just please, don't use stuff from the likes of Conduit or anything like that.  Toolbars are notorious for having spyware, which is why a simple plugin with an icon and a drop down menu from the icon would be better IMHO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Programming Project Idea to help FTL monetarily: Need your thoughts.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 31 queries.