Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Private Air Taxi Service
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Private Air Taxi Service  (Read 3997 times)

Bill Brasky

Re: Private Air Taxi Service
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 05:28:01 PM »

I would use this.  I don't have much reason to travel, but when/if I moved to NH I'd rather fly than drive 6 hours back to NY for family events.  I also go to Florida every March for an NHRA event and I'd love to fly down there without taking commercial airlines and dealing with the TSA.

Assuming he wants to make a profit, a 3000 mile round trip plus the days on the ground, I think you're gonna be paying substantially more than $209 through Expedia. 

I'd pay extra just for not having to deal with the TSA and a direct flight.  I can get one now for march around $350-400 one way, so about $700-800 round trip with taxes and crap.  That might be direct, or it might not.  Usually there's 2 direct flights and a ton of 1 or 2 stop flights. I'd easily pay $1500 for a round trip direct flight without having to deal with the TSA.  Especially after this past March's trip where I was stranded in O'Hare for 15 hours because United fucked shit up and we ended up having to make 2 extra connecting flights.  22 hours to get from Western NY to Orlando,FL -- my uncle drove in 26 hours down there.

Depends on the market.  i haven't exactly looked at private flights, so I have no clue, but twice as much as the commercial airlines seems worth it to me, maybe a little more.

Booking in March, Manchester to Orlando with one stop is $266+ taxes, totaling $315 - round trip.  Orbitz.  Approximately five hours in-flight time, each way. 

Same trip would cost you $412 in gas, if you got 20mpg @ 3,000 miles.  Approximately 25 hours drive time, each way, figuring 60 mph avg. 

Pilot_MKN

• Take to the Skies
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 01:48:02 AM »

I like the concept, but the economics don't seem to work. My guess is that it would only be useful to people who want to sightsee, or would like to transit from point A to point B without the fear of being stopped by the Gestapo. You might want to consider this possibility as you might be liable for more than just bending the FAA rules if your passengers turn out to have something other than a bag lunch and paperwork in their briefcase....

Economically, it doesn't compete with a car or the airlines. I envision it as more of a "I have to be in X fast and I don't feel like driving 3 hours" kind of service or "I need to hop over to a neighboring state and dont want to spend all day driving". Your paying for time convenience.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make the airplane"

Stoker

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 08:52:50 AM »

It isn't very convenient to end up somewhere without your car. And if you factor in the time it takes to go to the airport (even if your not going through the commercial BS) and then leaving the airport when you arrive short hops don't make much sense. I used to commute from Telluride to Phoenix for a couple of years,mostly flying in puddle jumpers until I got fed up with the hassle and just drove all the time. When I factored in driving to and from and the hassles of the airport (pre 9/11, but still sucked back then too) I only saved a couple of hours on the 9 hour drive. Also, the part about people hiring private flights to move illegal things is very real. If you start flying random unknown people around you might find yourself in a world of shit. This also reminds me of Telluride. The radio station there (KOTO) runs a ride board for people to hook up with riders to share costs, and I know of at least one case where a rider was indeed carrying drugs and got busted, getting the unknowing driver in serious deep shit. I think that was eventually resolved for the driver, but not until after getting tossed in the slam and a lengthy legal battle. I used to take riders now and then on those trips until that happened and opened my eyes up.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:55:17 AM by Stoker »

Pilot_MKN

• Take to the Skies
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 05:56:07 PM »

Most smaller airports are VERY close to the center of the town they are located in, and there's really no BS at all compared to commercial flying. You park, walk right up to the plane, crank up and fly off. Flight plans are not required, except for flying in instrument conditions. Hell, you don't even have to talk on the radio unless the field has a control tower. It's much faster than preparing for a commercial flight. No security at all to deal with.

As for when you arrive, many airports have free courtesy cars as well that can be used for an hour or so free of charge. Others can quickly link you up with a local taxi service. Maybe you could hook up with other Free Staters to provide some transportation.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make the airplane"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Private Air Taxi Service

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.