Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Politics is a Violent Game
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Politics is a Violent Game  (Read 4453 times)

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
Politics is a Violent Game
« on: August 16, 2011, 12:47:40 AM »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJWmyPQpUuA[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJWmyPQpUuA

BonerJoe

Re: Politics is a Violent Game
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 12:50:20 AM »

Bullshit.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 01:03:36 AM »

But so is BEATING your meat, or SPANKING your monkey and CHOKING your chicken.

Still, you do it anyway.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 08:52:55 AM »

*sigh*

There was no attempt in there to start up the tired old debate about whether engaging in politics was immoral.  The point was just to show that it's a numbers game and not a game of principles and that's why politicians always suck, and that one of the best uses of that machine is to just use the platform to get messages of liberty out there, even if your message means you don't get elected.

Perhaps "Violent" was too strong a word.  I might change it to a Game of Domination which would be more accurate for what we're talking about.  The winner is the one who gets the most numbers, not the one who is most correct.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:50:52 AM by Dalebert »

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 10:06:45 AM »

*sigh*

There was no attempt in there to start up the tired old debate about whether engaging in politics was immoral.............

I know.

Its just not very often I get to work a good jerking off joke into a conversation, so when the opportunity presented itself, I jumped.

Im an opportunist.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 01:55:27 AM »

Modern politics is violent only because violence is monopolized. Consider the history of the so-called wild west, there wasn't that much violence to speak of outside of random feuds that turned into county-wide wars like the Lincoln County war. They only happened when the disputes broke down in terms of dialog. You can have politics, but you can't have it at the cost of the freedom to talk things down.
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

BonerJoe

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 10:50:40 AM »

*sigh*

There was no attempt in there to start up the tired old debate about whether engaging in politics was immoral.

Then delete the thread.

Otherwise, debate on.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 07:26:52 PM »

Then delete the thread.

Otherwise, debate on.

Whatever.  You guys have at it.  But that wasn't what the video was about.  The video was just pointing out the nature of democracy, that it's gang warfare, which is hardly even a point of contention to most people here.  You have to keep in mind that we're targeting not-necessarily-already-libertarian people with this show and hoping to reach them with the message of liberty, so occasionally we will talk about things that are old hat to most of the folks on this forum.

But I s'pose FTL still does that too from time to time.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 09:13:56 AM »

Dale and co-host shirtless -- somehow I think there's a level of violence against straight guys there, but I can't put my finger on it :P

On a less facetious note: below are 3 distinct concepts. They are often related in present society. They are not inherently related in any causal fashion.
* Politics -- happens anytime there is more than 1 person allocating scarce resources. Happens in families, groups of friends, businesses, orgies.
* Government -- a group of people controlling the actions of a population. May be for good or for ill, may be with consent of the governed or not.
* Democracy -- a particular form of government

These 3 ideas are often con-fused by liberty people, to their own detriment.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 07:59:34 PM »

These 3 ideas are often con-fused by liberty people, to their own detriment.

Those 3 ideas are usually confused by the majority of the people, to everyone's detriment.

---------

What's with the shirtless broadcast? Some sort of protest? Marketing to the gay libertarian demographic?
I only get to listen a couple times a week these days, and almost never have the cam on, so this may be a regular feature I just didn't know about.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 10:06:48 PM »

What's with the shirtless broadcast? Some sort of protest? Marketing to the gay libertarian demographic?

Derrik's suggestion.  We had been carrying on about how he would be eye candy for the cam in previous shows so I guess that's our fault.

I only get to listen a couple times a week these days, and almost never have the cam on, so this may be a regular feature I just didn't know about.

Well, we're only on once a week so you're ahead of most of our listeners.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 11:22:53 AM »

Well, we're only on once a week so you're ahead of most of our listeners.

Oops - I should have said I only get to tune into the streaming audio a couple times a week. Sometimes I hear you guys, but mostly its FTL.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

BonerJoe

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 11:23:42 AM »

It's funny. I thought "where the hell did Joy run off to" the other day and she shows up.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 04:37:52 PM »

It's funny. I thought "where the hell did Joy run off to" the other day and she shows up.

Summer listening and hanging on the BBS has become a little tougher now that the kidlets are all older, stay up later, and no longer nap.

I manage to listen to podcasts on my long runs and rides, and lurk while reading some of the threads from time to time. I think I need my own "Catch me up on the last few months of drama" thread. I have no idea what's going on.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 07:22:13 PM »

Law of Attraction.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Politics is a Violent Game

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.