Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Pictures of Your Pets!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Pictures of Your Pets!  (Read 78012 times)

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: Pictures of Your Pets!
« Reply #330 on: July 13, 2010, 05:36:15 PM »

Jack my dog.

No, im not asking you to jack my dog, im saying thats my dog and his name is Jack

Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 05, 2010, 09:52:12 PM »

Replenished the stash of dog toys today. It's Clifford's version of Christmas.

He bounced around the table for 5 minutes before choosing.

And ever since then, this is what he's been doing:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89027102@N00/4864962116/
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Joseffritzl

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 06, 2010, 07:05:55 AM »

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 07:11:18 AM by Joseffritzl »

davann

« Reply #333 on: August 06, 2010, 12:57:03 PM »

I'd tell the dog to get off the god damn couch, but it would just ignore me, and then I would go to pick her up to put her on the floor, and she wouldn't let me touch her and start growling like crazy, and snap at my hands.

You never established or maintained your dominance over the dog. That is your fault, not the dogs. People tend to blame the animal for what amounts to ignorance or indifference by the owner to the proper care of the animal.

Dogs do not love people. People mistake the affection dogs’ display for actual love. It is not, it is merely their nature. That nature includes a pack order. You were below the dog in the pack. That should have been corrected as it can lead to dangerous situations. What you should have done the very first time it growled and snapped at you was to grab it carefully around the muzzle and bite its ear hard enough to cause it to yelp. This process would have to be repeated until the dog learned it was actually below you in the pack order.  Doing the ear/bite training it never takes long for the dog to learn as this the what its mother or another dog would do. It is like speaking their language.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 06, 2010, 04:45:02 PM »

What you should have done the very first time it growled and snapped at you was to grab it carefully around the muzzle and bite its ear hard enough to cause it to yelp. This process would have to be repeated until the dog learned it was actually below you in the pack order.  Doing the ear/bite training it never takes long for the dog to learn as this the what its mother or another dog would do. It is like speaking their language.

I hadn't heard about the ear bite before. The advice we rec'd from the trainer had us intervening before it got to that point, I suppose.

If our dogs (this is when they were young, not needed since) tried to nip, even playfully, or to gnaw on our hand while playing, we were to stick our entire hand into the dogs mouth, encircle the lower jaw with our hand, forcing his mouth open, and pinning him.

We were also told to never let the dog push in front of us when walking into a room or heading out the door.  A slight shove to the side (or stsrong, if pup has gotten a bit big for his fuzzy britches), while very pointedly looking away from the dog lets it know that you are in charge. Refusing to look at the dog while you do sends the message "you're not part of the pack right now."

Didn't need to use much of this with Pete, our older dog. But, we have used this 2nd bit of advice a lot with Clifford, who is a little over one now, and his manners are often overwhelmed by his enthusiasm. I can generally get him to shape up from most minor incidents by clearing my throat, crossing my arms and turning my back to him. Barking, jumping, general rowdiness stops; he walks up and sits down at my side. Then he gets a "good" and an ear scratch.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

davann

« Reply #335 on: August 06, 2010, 05:04:20 PM »

We were also told to never let the dog push in front of us when walking into a room or heading out the door.  A slight shove to the side (or stsrong, if pup has gotten a bit big for his fuzzy britches), while very pointedly looking away from the dog lets it know that you are in charge. Refusing to look at the dog while you do sends the message "you're not part of the pack right now."

I am no professional trainer but I think with the door thing it might be okay for the alpha in the pack to let the dog go through a door first. I know I do want the dogs in front of me when hunting so I tend to not make a big deal of it. Of course, pushing should not be allowed ever. My girl has trouble with setting and maintaining her pack order and the dogs will push past her on the stairs. Even though they are small dogs it makes me nervous enough to scold her for letting them get away with it. A little bite on her ear til she yelps and she back to being the mistress of discipline and order.

Looking away is a great cue to a dog.

Clifford is one nice looking dog. He is a Collie, yes?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 05:05:55 PM by davann »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #336 on: August 06, 2010, 05:15:34 PM »

People tend to blame the animal for what amounts to ignorance or indifference by the owner to the proper care of the animal.

This. I've never felt the need to do the ear bite thing though. What I would do if the "NAH!" thing didnt work is to flip the dog over on the floor on its back and stand over it. Every time it tries to move to get up, get it to lay back down again. When it finally gives up, you win. If the dog wants to run through the door, I let it. Just dont push me over or step on my feet with its claws.

All the dog training I've ever learned fails on ferrets. They are so ignorant of training, I basically just try to plan according to their stupidity. If they don't use the litterbox, I clean up the room and reorganize it so they can find it easier. Perhaps its just my older ferrets that are like that though, because I trained the younger one to not bite my toes (in socks) anymore. She wants to drag the sock off but doesnt realize my foot is in there. I chased her with my foot and yelled the last time she did it, and she stopped since then.
For my foot.  :D

In sad news, Otis died last week of an illness he has been battling for awhile now :( :( :(

Once Milo (other ferret & his best bud) realized, he totally freaked out and tried destroying everything in his cage, it was so sad, so sad.

Here's a pick-me-up photo of Milo goofin off. This guys obese but full of energy. Definitely a people person, his hobbies include eating, laying upside down, sleeping in unusual contortions, and doing barrel rolls. In the pic he is laughing because someone is tickling his belly-fat, of which he has a bunch.

Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 06, 2010, 06:20:07 PM »

Clifford is one nice looking dog. He is a Collie, yes?

He's a Collie/Shepherd. Has the cute collie face & longer fur, and is medium size. And, he has coarser gray fur mixed in along his back & tail, and the sheer brute strength of a shepherd.

Good tempered. Very snuggly. Has learned a couple of tricks, but isn't very bright.

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 03, 2011, 02:46:33 PM »

Mines the same way. He loves these treats that are like beef jerkey, but they are made with duck meat. If I put one between my teeth, he'll nearly bite my lip off to get to it, but if someone else does the same thing, hes reeeealy careful and gentle. I think it comes down to a trust thing, mixed with a little fear of not knowing how somoene he doesn't know very well will react.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 03, 2011, 04:59:19 PM »

Sofie is giving Mix half of a cracker in this photo. I find it interesting how careful he is. He is much more snappy with me or another adult. But with the baby he is extremely careful.

cute daughter Al - do you post these pics from your pc by clicking image?

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 03, 2011, 05:06:50 PM »

Delta - starting to get older...

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #341 on: March 03, 2011, 07:10:51 PM »

If I put one between my teeth, he'll nearly bite my lip off to get to it

Uhm... maybe you should try tossing them to him.

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 03, 2011, 08:51:26 PM »

If I put one between my teeth, he'll nearly bite my lip off to get to it

Uhm... maybe you should try tossing them to him.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 04, 2011, 04:26:55 PM »

Delta - starting to get older...
I assume you figured out how to post photos. :)
Your dog has a kindly look.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #344 on: March 27, 2011, 10:44:35 PM »

Im gonna be losing one of my ferrets due to illness this week   :cry: he has a few days left unless his medicine magically starts working.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Pictures of Your Pets!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 33 queries.