Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Pictures of Your Pets!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Pictures of Your Pets!  (Read 78006 times)

Rillion

• View Profile
Re: Pictures of Your Pets!
« Reply #210 on: December 12, 2009, 11:57:23 PM »

My birthday present:

Yeah, it's dark, sorry....thought the flash might scare him.  He's pretty timid now, and that's no surprise-- being taken from your sisters and brothers, having your wings clipped and your nails trimmed, being put into a small cardboard box and driven for a while on occasionally bumpy roads, and then being put into a new cage to live with a stranger will probably do that to you.

He doesn't have a name yet-- I'm waiting for him to show a personality.  So far he hasn't done much except for twittering in response to some videos of parakeets I brought up on Youtube.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #211 on: December 13, 2009, 11:29:43 PM »

Today my I let one of my ferrets out of his cage and placed him in a litter box. He pretended to use it then ran away so I picked him up and put him in again, where he pretended again. Three or so minutes later I saw him make a beeline for my futon and I caught him peeing behind it :( :( :( :( :(

To get him to use the litterbox I give him a treat every time he uses it, but now he just fakes it to get a treat...
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Robin

• I may be a bastard, but I'm not a fucking bastard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 14, 2009, 12:58:50 AM »

buddy

he likes snow
But now I'm on a mission to mend. Everything that broke and make it glisten again. Strip down, redesign, construct, and improve. While the rest procrastinate I'll be making my move.

davann

« Reply #213 on: December 14, 2009, 07:20:37 PM »

Today my I let one of my ferrets out of his cage and placed him in a litter box. He pretended to use it then ran away so I picked him up and put him in again, where he pretended again. Three or so minutes later I saw him make a beeline for my futon and I caught him peeing behind it :( :( :( :( :(

To get him to use the litterbox I give him a treat every time he uses it, but now he just fakes it to get a treat...

What about a combo of moving the box behind the couch and a treat? Or maybe putting a litte carpet in the box for a bit, if that is what you have behind the couch. I bet he is used to a certain feel under his feet. Dogs are like that too. Kinda surprised a vermin has the brains to be house broken. Good luck.

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 14, 2009, 08:21:36 PM »

My birthday present:

Yeah, it's dark, sorry....thought the flash might scare him.  He's pretty timid now, and that's no surprise-- being taken from your sisters and brothers, having your wings clipped and your nails trimmed, being put into a small cardboard box and driven for a while on occasionally bumpy roads, and then being put into a new cage to live with a stranger will probably do that to you.

He doesn't have a name yet-- I'm waiting for him to show a personality.  So far he hasn't done much except for twittering in response to some videos of parakeets I brought up on Youtube.

Happy Birthday!

Any bird names yet? He looks kinda blue, what about Skyler?  :)
Pocho

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 14, 2009, 09:01:03 PM »

Happy Birthday!

Thank you!  He's mostly white, with a bit of blue on the belly and the back, and some "war paint" on his cheeks.  I'm thinking his name is Freddy, for no reason at all except that I like the name and he seems kind of like an awkward teenager. 

Traits so far: tendency to sit in food dish while eating rather than on the edge of it, love of the Current Geek podcast, and rapid mood changes between spastic and Buddha-like serenity.  I thought of calling him Buddha for a while, actually, but then saw the spastic side.  A graceful bird he is not yet. 

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 14, 2009, 09:03:34 PM »

Happy Birthday!

Seconding the Happy Birthday, but turning up nose at name choice.

Wait for the personality to come through before naming. (And if Skyler turns out to suit the personality of your feathered friend, I withdraw my objection.)

-----

Originally posted at same time you were updating, Rillion.
Freddy is great, given your description of him so far.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:05:28 PM by Laetitia »
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 14, 2009, 09:21:57 PM »

We're churning out a flock of these little pets this week - (The penguin, not the 3rd grader - I have enough of those.) It's been a chore keeping them out of Clifford's mouth. He views them as his own stock of after dinner mints.

And, speaking of Clifford, he's too big now for curling up on laps, but that's not stopping him - or his human - from trying:

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Zat

• View Profile
    • Just a photo gallery
« Reply #218 on: December 14, 2009, 10:21:41 PM »

Seamus, a Lab/Akita mix. Passed a little bit back at 15 years old.  :(

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 14, 2009, 11:06:52 PM »

A gal on my floor has the same kind of dog. The dog's name is Milo. What kind of dog is that anywayz....a terrier?

Looks like a Pomeranian. 

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 14, 2009, 11:43:36 PM »

Happy Birthday!

Seconding the Happy Birthday, but turning up nose at name choice.

Wait for the personality to come through before naming. (And if Skyler turns out to suit the personality of your feathered friend, I withdraw my objection.)

-----

Originally posted at same time you were updating, Rillion.
Freddy is great, given your description of him so far.

I like Freddy better too.
Pocho

Robin

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 15, 2009, 01:14:03 AM »

A gal on my floor has the same kind of dog. The dog's name is Milo. What kind of dog is that anywayz....a terrier?

Looks like a Pomeranian. 

he is a pom, they breed them a little bigger here than in the states so they have less health problems later in life  :D he was pretty excited about all the snow
But now I'm on a mission to mend. Everything that broke and make it glisten again. Strip down, redesign, construct, and improve. While the rest procrastinate I'll be making my move.

Robin

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 15, 2009, 06:29:16 AM »

the old avatar was an imperial officers uniform, the patch was my rank

:D

here i changed it so you can get a better view on the uniform lol

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 16, 2009, 05:02:03 PM »

Freddy remains awesome, but still pretty quiet.  On Sunday and Monday I played some Youtube clips of other parakeets, and he responded with a few chirps but was otherwise not interested.  Today, however, I played this clip for him and he went apeshit.  Started cheeping like mad and climbing all over the side of the cage near the computer speakers.  Dug at the side of the cage, trying to get out.  So I brought him out on my finger, showed him that there were no other birds around, and he calmed down quickly.  Tried playing the clip again, same reaction.  Brought him out again and he calmed down again.  

So now I'm thinking that having him by himself might be cruel, and that I'm not good enough company for a young 'keet.  May have to see if the store still has any of his siblings for sale.  I'm hesitating, though....not because of the cost or because the cage is too small (there's room enough for two), but because they would almost certainly bond with each other rather than me, and the chance of either one learning to talk will drop dramatically.  

Sigh.  :(

ETA: He responds somewhat to this but doesn't seem to know what the bird is talking about.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 05:10:48 PM by Rillion »

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 16, 2009, 05:23:47 PM »

Give him some more time to get adjusted to his environment, and get him a mirror if you don't already have one. When I was young I had a bird who was in love with himself and chirped in the mirror all the time.

I would not worry about them bonding too much with one and other if you get another bird. Just feed them and give them special bird treats by hand, and they will like you a lot. As for training, its just like any other pet that you want to train to do something (like talk), it is much more efficient to separate the two when doing so. Otherwise they get distracted.

Also, if weather permits put his cage outside so he can hear other birds chirping and get some fresh air as well.
Pocho
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Pictures of Your Pets!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 32 queries.