Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Pictures of Your Pets!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Pictures of Your Pets!  (Read 78013 times)

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures of Your Pets!
« Reply #315 on: June 26, 2010, 09:51:05 AM »

My daughter's hamster seems to consider it her mission to torture one of the dogs. She follows him around, hangs out in front of his food dish, bounces the exercise ball off him when he's napping... frankly, he's a little freaked out by her.

Which is what was happening here. Cliffy was sound asleep, with Annabeth rolling repeatedly into his head and front paws. When he woke up and started to roll into position to hop up & flee, she rolled right onto his back leg, leaving the dopey dog "pinned" to the door.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Amazing Richard

« Reply #316 on: June 26, 2010, 11:55:45 PM »

Are you calling me out R3?
 I'll address your post in a day or two. I am curious to see what others have to say.
In the mean time, can you catch one of those spiders in the corner and post a photo to keep with the spirit of a fairly innocent thread.

Ya...address it. The "love" is not real. The "pet" industry promotes the product as a guaranteed "companionship" ...trying to imply that these pets have some kind of super cosmic "unconditional love" thing going on, that the owner will fancy. But, the beast "loves", only because it has been made warped and retarded, through the process of domestication.

And when the "master" feels it is appropriate to destroy the animal's sexual functioning, and rips out its claws, and abuse the creature to satisfy the superficial convenience of the "master", the beast will STILL "love" the "master"!!!!

The beast does not want to love the "master"....the beast wants to love its own kind.

And so when a dog is humping yer leg, the beast is saying, "Please kill me....I want to die."

alaric89

« Reply #317 on: July 01, 2010, 02:53:55 AM »

I was hoping some people would tell stories about pets that answered way above the call of duty. It didn't happen.
 Some animals can imprint on humans, some can't.
 You have a small window with domestic cats as to whether they can be completely tame or not. If a cat doesn't get a good impression of a human in it's first 6 months or so, it will never be really tame. It might take food or trust to a certain degree but it won't "love" any human like a tame one will. Cheetahs do the same thing and they have never been bred to any large degree.
 There are many cases where someone tried to use non domesticatable animals as pets and it went very wrong. Especially bears and tigers which suddenly click and decide to eat the trainer/owner for lunch. African elephants are not domesticated Asians are. That's why circuses can't use African elephants anymore (they used to, hence the going berserk incidents)
 Dogs started out as beasts of burden, they earned their right to be thought of as members of the family in western culture. The dogs devotion to its "owner" (from the dogs perspective "pack leader") is legendary. Dogs will literally die to protect the "pack". In Montana, where I grew up, there have been many documented incidents where dogs attacked a grisly bear or mountain lion (a fight even a big dog has a snowballs chance in hell of winning) to protect the "pack". That sort of devotion is as good a definition of "love" as I can come up with.

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #318 on: July 02, 2010, 02:31:37 AM »

My daughter's hamster seems to consider it her mission to torture one of the dogs. She follows him around, hangs out in front of his food dish, bounces the exercise ball off him when he's napping... frankly, he's a little freaked out by her.

Which is what was happening here. Cliffy was sound asleep, with Annabeth rolling repeatedly into his head and front paws. When he woke up and started to roll into position to hop up & flee, she rolled right onto his back leg, leaving the dopey dog "pinned" to the door.

Your dog has giant balls  :o
User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

Amazing Richard

« Reply #319 on: July 02, 2010, 03:44:04 AM »

I was hoping some people would tell stories about pets that answered way above the call of duty. It didn't happen.
 Some animals can imprint on humans, some can't.
 You have a small window with domestic cats as to whether they can be completely tame or not. If a cat doesn't get a good impression of a human in it's first 6 months or so, it will never be really tame. It might take food or trust to a certain degree but it won't "love" any human like a tame one will. Cheetahs do the same thing and they have never been bred to any large degree.
 There are many cases where someone tried to use non domesticatable animals as pets and it went very wrong. Especially bears and tigers which suddenly click and decide to eat the trainer/owner for lunch. African elephants are not domesticated Asians are. That's why circuses can't use African elephants anymore (they used to, hence the going berserk incidents)
 Dogs started out as beasts of burden, they earned their right to be thought of as members of the family in western culture. The dogs devotion to its "owner" (from the dogs perspective "pack leader") is legendary. Dogs will literally die to protect the "pack". In Montana, where I grew up, there have been many documented incidents where dogs attacked a grisly bear or mountain lion (a fight even a big dog has a snowballs chance in hell of winning) to protect the "pack". That sort of devotion is as good a definition of "love" as I can come up with.

Don't trust these animals, dude....an animal is never fully "domesticated".

Not long ago...my second cousin became a multi-millionaire when her husband sold his business. Not long after that, she decided to adopt a puppy from one of the kennels. She slept with the puppy, in the bed. One night...the phone rang, while everybody was sleeping, and the dog got startled as my cousin went to pick up the phone, and the dog bit off her bottom lip.

After that, my cousin had to get plastic surgery to fix her lip, but she is still messed up, cuz she apparently drools without realizing it. This is fucked up!

Don't sleep next to yer dogs, people! These things are dangerous! They are still wild, no matter how much people claim that they are "domesticated".

alaric89

« Reply #320 on: July 02, 2010, 04:17:54 AM »

Anyone who doesn't ever put themselves at some risk doesn't live at all. You are right, having a pet is risky. So is leaving a rubber room. Animals are capable of loving, that's my argument, not "life isn't dangerous."

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 02, 2010, 07:43:30 AM »

Love is a genetic predisposition cultivated by selective breeding for purposes of labor and loyalty?  Whatever floats your boat, man.

I know what you mean-- the devotion, specifically.  But you could program a robot to protect you from mountain lions, even at its own expense.  I think the canine family was effectively "programmed" by nature and further tinkered with by people to suit their own purposes.   Dogs "love" us because we bred them to.  

Not that I have anything against dogs.  I just see them as animals, not superior or inferior to cats, ferrets, parrots, etc.  

alaric89

« Reply #322 on: July 02, 2010, 01:00:43 PM »

What is love? I think dogs and cats are the best examples for the love argument because they can earn their keep or live without their owners, yet they still stick around. Personally my definition for "love" has to come from a independent perspective, I don't consider real love possible in a dependency relationship. This is the reason I give my pets as much freedom as I can.
If Animals "love" because of breeding explain the cheetah.

Amazing Richard

« Reply #323 on: July 02, 2010, 07:48:53 PM »

Anyone who doesn't ever put themselves at some risk doesn't live at all. You are right, having a pet is risky. So is leaving a rubber room. Animals are capable of loving, that's my argument, not "life isn't dangerous."

I don't get it. It makes no sense to put oneself at risk of being mauled or deformed, for when the animal instincts decide to kick in.

I can envision another situation where somebody is snuggling up in bed, in the middle of the night, with the soft nice smelling furry cat, and the individual quickly makes a sudden movement while sleeping, and the cat freaks out and digs its claw into yer eyeball, and then you have to go to the doctor to get fitted for yer new glass eye.

I feel so bad for my cousin...it was such a shitty unfortunate thing that happened to her, and now her face is all fucked up, and she uncontrollably drools, just because she thought that her puppy was some kind of freak thing that is predisposed to "loving unconditionally". I have not seen what kind of condition she is in, but apparently, it's not good, and she also has a speech impediment, due to the accident. She was a very pretty woman too, and I heard that she said she would give up her millions of dollars in exchange for her old face back.

These pets are barely "domesticated". They are still more wild than domesticated, but people are so stupid and prefer to think that "domesticated" animals are so cute and cuddly, and would never hurt other people, but it happens all the time, and then the owners say things like, "I don't understand....my innocent Muffins never hurt anybody...Muffins only wants to love."

*sigh*

Way back when I had a dog, it never listened to me. She only listened to my father, who I guess was her "master". I'd tell the dog to get off the god damn couch, but it would just ignore me, and then I would go to pick her up to put her on the floor, and she wouldn't let me touch her and start growling like crazy, and snap at my hands. I'm sorry, but these dogs and cats, and things are NOT "domesticated". These are crazy vicious beasts and a danger to you, yer family, friends, and strangers. It's true that my dog was otherwise, a very well "trained" animal, but every time it growled and snapped at me like that, I felt like putting a snow shovel to the back of her head.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 08:02:52 PM by Princess Pubella »

alaric89

« Reply #324 on: July 03, 2010, 02:47:53 AM »

I never said that all pets are good. They are individuals. Cats and dogs are usually personality dependent on who their first real master was, but that isn't the only variable. I have had both genders and many different breeds in my lifetime and I noticed they tend to be similar in personality. (very nice, yet protective like to run real fast) The black dog I posted has cured 4 people of their dog phobia so far in his 7 years, but I always warn them that all dogs are not necessarily nice like he is. (I can also pluck a juicy steak out of his mouth if I want to, that is really rare)
With cats I make sure they are not dangerous to children by not allowing them to bite right from when they are a kitten, like the tame thing the training tends to stick into adulthood.
None of this will fix your cousins face, that is simply awful. I feel a need to point out however, for every horror story there are three hundred good pet stories, where families stood crying in the backyard, burying a much loved family member.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #325 on: July 03, 2010, 03:07:46 AM »

(I can also pluck a juicy steak out of his mouth if I want to, that is really rare)
In order to do something like that, you usually have to train them as a puppy. For my dog I would take its food away completely randomly while it was eating and pretend to eat it myself. My dog had to know it was MY food it was eating. Then I would pet my dogs back and around its head while it was eating and sneak up on it to give it praise  just in  case someone else  were  to walk up frombehind and try messing with my dog while it was  eating. The result: zero problems in this area.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 12, 2010, 02:45:53 PM »

If Animals "love" because of breeding explain the cheetah.

Umm, what?  I said dogs "love" humans because of breeding.  Animals in general take care of their young because it's instinctual.  They don't take care of their prey because they need to eat it. 

alaric89

« Reply #327 on: July 12, 2010, 03:15:12 PM »

Maybe. Dogs also are relatives of animals that run in family units "packs". I heard a trainer explain that humans merely replaced the "pack" from the dogs perspective. A dog thinks it's family is made up of other dogs.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 12, 2010, 04:21:57 PM »

Maybe. Dogs also are relatives of animals that run in family units "packs". I heard a trainer explain that humans merely replaced the "pack" from the dogs perspective. A dog thinks it's family is made up of other dogs.

Yes. 

alaric89

« Reply #329 on: July 13, 2010, 03:27:54 PM »

Back to topic. And R3, someones always watching when these two are in the same room.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Pictures of Your Pets!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 31 queries.