Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Penn & Teller: Bullshit! Season 7

Poll

Which three Season 7 episode are you looking forward to the most:

Orgasms
- 22 (12.1%)
Astrology
- 5 (2.7%)
Video Games
- 19 (10.4%)
The Apocalypse
- 18 (9.9%)
Lie Detectors
- 12 (6.6%)
Organic Food
- 18 (9.9%)
Taxes
- 58 (31.9%)
Lawns
- 8 (4.4%)
Stress
- 8 (4.4%)
The Vatican
- 14 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Penn & Teller: Bullshit! Season 7  (Read 21256 times)

Alex Libman

Penn & Teller: Bullshit! Season 7
« on: April 11, 2009, 09:37:32 PM »

Season 7 premiere will be Thursday, June 25th.  It will air for ten consecutive weeks, airing the episodes in the aforementioned order.

I wonder about the Taxes one - people like Penn Jillette can be very unpredictable.  Will he be like "taxes are bullshit" or "no one likes paying taxes, but all them 'income tax is unconstitutional' scams are bullshit"?   :?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 09:40:32 PM by Alex Libman »

AntonLee

Re: Penn & Teller: Bullshit! Season 7
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 09:40:04 PM »

I absolutely love this show.  I hope he does the former rather than the latter on the Taxes episode.

Last Of The Free

• View Profile
    • Last of the Free - Trailer and Info
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 01:18:30 AM »

people keep telling me to watch this show. i think i'll start listening.
--------------------------------------------------------
a film about the quest for freedom
www.LastOfTheFree.com
--------------------------------------------------------

Njal

• Anarcho-Rodent
  • Being better than you for 30 years!
    • View Profile
    • High North Alliance
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 06:45:21 AM »

I was hoping for LoA. That there's gold for BS.
Don't be that guy.

Alex Libman

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 08:44:17 AM »

Yeah, I'd like to see one on "Law of Attraction" in season 8.  Also: nationalism, intellectual property, Ancient Greece, democracy, and so on.

shezmu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 09:51:01 AM »

From what I've seen, it's a show about a Libertarian dual who disprove statists views. What's not to love?

Brisco County, Jr.

• Always looking for the coming thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 02:11:49 PM »

I wonder about the Taxes one - people like Penn Jillette can be very unpredictable.  Will he be like "taxes are bullshit" or "no one likes paying taxes, but all them 'income tax is unconstitutional' scams are bullshit"?   :?

I could easily see them doing both.  "Taxes are bullshit but these guys (the one spouting about the unconstitutionality of taxes) are also bullshit."  My guess is that it will be about taxes in general.  They're usually pretty good at titling the show.  Assuming the titles you listed are accurate, then they would have named the episode tax denial or something if it were about the deniers.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 03:42:23 PM »

From what I've seen, it's a show about a Libertarian dual who disprove statists views. What's not to love?

Well, it's actually a mix of them speaking out against statist views or pseudoscience-- they blend them together a lot.  This is a source of annoyance to non-libertarian skeptics, like the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe people who often suggest that the remedy for perpetuating pseudoscience should be prison time.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 04:21:06 PM »

I am SUCH a fan of this show. It is so hard to disagree with them, because everything they bring up, truly is Bullshit!

I have to say, it has been a major force in shaping my beliefs.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Njal

• Anarcho-Rodent
  • Being better than you for 30 years!
    • View Profile
    • High North Alliance
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 04:26:52 PM »

I was disappointed with the NASA show. I felt like they kid gloved it (to verb a noun).
Don't be that guy.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 04:32:49 PM »

Organic and Apocalypse are two I'm looking forward to.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 04:50:58 PM »

I think the only episode that I've not liked was the one on conspiracy theories.  And I agreed with them for the most part there, but what really bothered me was that they were arguing against conspiracy theories related to 9/11 by saying that they're disrespectful to the people who died in the attacks-- basically, trying to make conspiracy theorists stop theorizing through guilt. 

I found that thinking repellent.  Yes, I have very little time for the "truthers" and find their obsession just as annoying as anyone.  But disagreeing about the reasons for a person's death is only disrespectful if you're blaming it on them.  The truthers are generally saying that the government is actually behind the attacks to some degree or another.  That might be wrong, even ridiculously wrong, but it's not disrespectful.  Saying that it is just comes off to me as nationalism-- and even though P&T are staunchly anti-government, Penn at least does get nationalistic at times.  He once did an entire radio show slamming other countries because some actress made an off-the-cuff comment about Americans being stupid.  It was a dumb comment, but he really flew off the handle about it.

Penn would diverge sharply from Ron Paul on the subject of 9/11....Penn really does believe that "they attacked us for our freedoms."  At least unlike conservatives he doesn't support doing away with those freedoms, but strangely (to me) he seems to be unable to avoid conflating the American people with the American government on that point. 

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 05:19:43 PM »

I agree with you for the most part. While Penn and Teller are both libertarians, Teller is the one I agree with more and in my mind both the more intelligent and cooler one. Even Penn says that Teller is the talkative one that comes up with more ideas (backstage). When Teller does talk, it is much more intelligent and less loud, also it is usually not scripted. Like the youtube video where he is explaining how a magician put on a fun (but simple) trick just for him with implications that were bigger than what other observers saw based on the fact that he too was a magician.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 05:39:47 PM »

Organic food, taxes, and lawns sound the most interesting to me, but for three different reasons.  I think I'll enjoy organic food because I think that the whole organic food craze is stupid bullshit.  I'm interested to see what direction they take the taxes episode, and I think the lawns episode will just be funny :)

JWI

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 05:44:24 PM »

Organic food, taxes, and lawns sound the most interesting to me, but for three different reasons.  I think I'll enjoy organic food because I think that the whole organic food craze is stupid bullshit.  I'm interested to see what direction they take the taxes episode, and I think the lawns episode will just be funny :)

Yeah the lawns one has me interested.  I always laugh at my neighbors who spends hours and hours and hundreds if not thousands of dollars on their lawns just to have them covered by snow for 4 months of the year.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Penn & Teller: Bullshit! Season 7

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 37 queries.